• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 bjgiii

bjgiii

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Port Charlotte, FL

Posted 06 August 2014 - 05:21 PM

I've been looking for a larger mount to handle at least a C14 and for AP. I know Celestron has the cge pro and C14 as a package deal. Are these mounts worth the price? Are there better options at this price point?

#2 CharlesW

CharlesW

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Chula Vista & Indio, CA

Posted 06 August 2014 - 05:37 PM

If you haven't had an opportunity to see that set up in person one thing you should know is that it is very tall. Doesn't matter for imaging, but for visual it might be a stretch if you are vertically challenged. :-)

#3 bjgiii

bjgiii

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 06 August 2014 - 05:47 PM

Haven't seen it in person or next to something for scale. The specs for the mount show it to be heavy compared to some mounts. The weight doesn't bother me which is helps.

#4 petemumbower

petemumbower

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: West Michigan

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:13 PM

I have a CGE Pro and think it is worth the price. Now I only use a c925 for imaging and it is observatory mounted. Pretty sure you will get recommendations to spend a few thousand more and get a AP or Paramount. But for the price it is a really good deal. My uncorrected PE is 7" (peak to peak). I easily guide with PHD2 and my QHY5II-L with a RMS on both axes to under .5". which is way under my seeing and image scale. Guess it will depend what type of imaging with C14, if it is deep sky and at f/11, that might require more expensive mount. But for planetary, you would be golden.

#5 bjgiii

bjgiii

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 07 August 2014 - 05:24 AM

I was planning on just using the C14 for a visual scope. I'll most likely use a ota with a shorter FL than a C14. I currently use a 71mm refractor which I enjoy. The mount would be something I would like to keep around for awhile.

#6 optinuke

optinuke

Sputnik

• Loc: Las Vegas, NV area

Posted 08 August 2014 - 04:36 PM

I'm partial to fork mounts.  I don't like having to flop the telescope to the opposite side of the mount when passing the meridian.  If you don't need all the fancy GOTO for visual, or don't mind retrofitting DSSs, consider a fork-mounted C14.

Charles W's comment concerning height applies to the vintage fork-mounted C14s as well.  Putting the fork on a tripod-mounted wedge is awkward, and lifting the OTA up overhead to nestle it between the tines is just asking for trouble.

I own two C14 fork mounts...one stock and one with a Byers retrofit.  The Byers retrofitted mount has a C14 OTA on it.  Instead of a tripod, the wedge is fastened to a base made from a 5x12 and 1.5" plywood (image attached).  I am in the process of making a similar base out of 2x4s for the other fork, which is currently tripod mounted but used with small SCTs and telephoto-lens AP.

The 5x12 base was sized so that you can sit and observe, with the eyepiece almost always convenient to get to (it gets a little tight looking near the pole).  I leave the scope set up and wheel it out from my garage, match some alignment marks on the concrete, plug it in, and I can observe visually or do AP.  The scope can also be rolled into a trailer for transport.

So if you don't already have a C14 OTA, consider a whole vintage fork-mounted unit and try it out with the stock mount.  You may find it adequate for your needs, especially if you have the room to make a rolling base that makes it a breeze to set up.

Jay

Attached Files

#7 bjgiii

bjgiii

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:55 PM

Jay,

Thanks for the info. I'm really needing information on the cge pro mount. I would buy the C14/Cge pro combo if the mount is worth the investment. If it isn't, I would like to know of a better mount to be used for AP purposes as well as a load capacity for the weight of a C14.

Regards,

Bobby

#8 BrianCSmyrna

BrianCSmyrna

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Blue Ridge, GA

Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:27 PM

I've owned a CGE Pro 1400HD for about 2 years.  In my opinion, it's a great mount/scope combination for the price point, especially if you can pick one up during the once or twice a year events where they discount them.  Even at full price, it's a good deal and you get a little price break if you buy the mount/scope combo.  It's feature rich and does the job reliably night after night.  I've used this mount for both visual and AP quite extensively and it's rock solid.  Even with the C14, the mount is very stable and rigid and doesn't push the limits of what this mount can handle.  Although these mounts are assembled in China, they do use high-quality American made drive motors and encoders.  Additionally, Celestron in California does a quality control check on each of these mounts (and scopes) before they go out to distributors/resellers.  Mine had paperwork in it specifically noting the QC check/certification.

You didn't mention whether you would have this permanently mounted or try and use it as a portable mount/scope, so I'll offer a few words of advice.  This mount is VERY heavy.  It's definitely a beast.  Mine is permanently mounted in my observatory, but if I had to move this thing and set it up for every session, it'd be a real challenge and would probably discourage me from using it very often.  Celestron claims it's portable, but in my opinion that is debatable.  It's designed so that it can be disassembled into manageable parts, but even then each segment is still quite heavy.  Having a second person helps tremendously. If you're going to be moving it around on your own, especially mounting the C14 on it, the weight is definitely a consideration.

All that being said, once polar aligned, the mount tracking is excellent.  I've owned numerous scopes and mounts and this one is by far the most accurate.  My only real complaint is that a few of the adjustment knobs are in places that make them difficult to turn.  Otherwise I have no real complaints.  I don't think you could go wrong one. 

#9 bjgiii

bjgiii

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 10 August 2014 - 07:39 AM

This will be a portable setup. I would prefer just to buy the C14/CGE package. I've read the specs and talked to one person, they said it was heavy.

• SleepIsWrong likes this

#10 BrianCSmyrna

BrianCSmyrna

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Blue Ridge, GA

Posted 10 August 2014 - 08:07 AM

I also should have mentioned that I've done both planetary and deep sky imaging with this mount and the C14 combination at native f/11 and the mount is certainly more than capable as long as your alignment is good and you are guiding.  I also have the f/7 focal reducer (the Celestron version specifically made for this scope) which makes life a little easier for deep sky AP, but in either case this mount should handle your needs.  If you have any specific questions about it that aren't covered in the specs, just let me know.  I'm happy to help.

#11 junomike

junomike

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Ontario

Posted 10 August 2014 - 11:10 AM

This will be a portable setup. I would prefer just to buy the C14/CGE package. I've read the specs and talked to one person, they said it was heavy.

I recently aquired a C14/CGE and my take on it is the CGE is the minimum Mount I'd want to use with the C14, but also the largest/heaviest Mount I'd wanna use as a portable set up.

Mike

#12 bjgiii

bjgiii

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 10 August 2014 - 01:29 PM

I recently aquired a C14/CGE and my take on it is the CGE is the minimum Mount I'd want to use with the C14, but also the largest/heaviest Mount I'd wanna use as a portable set up.

Mike

At a 90 lbs capacity and the ota only weighing 45 lbs, why do you think it is the minimum you would use with a C14? 

#13 junomike

junomike

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Ontario

Posted 10 August 2014 - 05:55 PM

Mike

At a 90 lbs capacity and the ota only weighing 45 lbs, why do you think it is the minimum you would use with a C14? 

Sorry, I didn't realize your "I would prefer just to buy the C14/CGE package" meant the CGE Pro. I thought maybe you were considering a used CGE (available only used).

Yes the CGE Pro has a 90lbs capacity, but the standard CGE has a 65lbs rating which might be true, but the C14 is about the limit I'd want to put on it (for acceptable dampening times).

Mike

Edited by junomike, 10 August 2014 - 05:57 PM.

#14 CHAPSKINS

CHAPSKINS

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 01 September 2014 - 12:29 PM

Here's my take on the CGE Pro:

Before I bought the CGE Pro I had Celestrons' Advanced GT5...which was woeful. I decided that I wanted something that had tighter tollerences and something that could handle a larger scope (C11 and above) and something that would be accurate for Astro Photography. I looked at the high end mounts that hovered around the £10k mark and all the mounts below that. I came to the conclusion that the CGE Pro fitted the bill for my needs. I dithered between getting the Edge 11 HD and the Edge 14 HD. As much as I wanted to get the bigger scope, I decided to go with the Edge 11 simply because it would enable me to have loads of shiny toys on my new mount like guidescopes, StarSense, Hyperstar, and all sorts of other lovely things and keep the mount under-mounted after reading that this is the best practice for Astro Photography (rightly or wrongly).

I had it in my head that I *could* go mobile with the CGE Pro; I'm sure people do, but when you have an abundance of 'things' hanging off your mount that then takes on the appearance of a Christmas tree, lugging all of it out to some remote area just didn't seem realistic to me and would be a pain in the head and quite annoying.

The CGE Pro is a heavy mount. I haven't a comparison to other 'heavy' mounts, but suffice to say, if you're of a physically weak disposition, this mount just isn't for you. Yes, you can break the mount down into smaller parts, but again, after reading some of the posters remarks on this forum, even these *smaller* parts would more than likely snap their spines like a twig. 

I'm not the strongest or largest chap in the world...5 foot 7", 45 years old and a heavy smoker who works on construction sites. When I set up for a nights viewing, I lift the whole mount complete [with the exception of the counterweight bar and counterweights] in one go and walk it 20 feet to its usual spot in the garden. For me, it's not a problem and quite 'doable' although, as I've said, it is heavy, but not monumentally heavy. 

At the moment I'm not doing Astro Photography, instead I'm using a Hyperstar setup and a Mallincam, but later on in the year I'll get the Canon EOS snapping away at distant objects. From my limited experience as an astronomer, this mount works very, very well for me. I'm sure I could have bought a far more expensive mount like an MX, but for me personally, as good as those mounts are, I've seen just as good pictures taken with a CGE Pro and well below, so I see little point in shelling out the kinds of money for a Paramount, though I'm sure the Paramount crew would totally object to such a conclusion, but each to their own and all that.

#15 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:10 AM

If you have to ask "Is it worth it?" you probably need to do more thinking/research." I would be willing to bet someone in your club has a similar sized mount. Have a look at that. Have you done any astrophotography before? If not, start simpler with a shorter focal length scope. Even with Hyperstar, this is not the rig to begin on.

This is a very reasonably priced mount, but it is very heavy and not something you'll set up in your backyard for a 30-minute look at the Moon. ;)

#16 Bill W.

Bill W.

Vanguard

• Loc: Western PA, USA

Posted 07 September 2014 - 08:25 AM

Here is a scale pic for you.  One thing to note is that I am 6' 4"... :D

http://www.pbase.com...148185165/large

The second pic is an Orion Atlas beside my CGE Pro.

http://www.pbase.com...148204144/large

-Bill

#17 gdd

gdd

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Lynnwood, WA (N/O Seattle)

Posted 07 September 2014 - 08:41 AM

Can you take it off the tripod and just put it on a concrete block (a very short pier)?

Gale

#18 Bill W.

Bill W.

Vanguard

• Loc: Western PA, USA

Posted 07 September 2014 - 08:56 AM

Yes,  you can put it on a pier.  I had a custom pier plate made because I already had a pier plate previously made.  Here's my custom plate.  It's all aluminum... :)

http://www.pbase.com...148275524/large

-Bill

• pgs/sdg likes this

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics