• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#51 audioaficionado

audioaficionado

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Medford, Orygun, USA

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:28 AM

I'd still use the template first when placing the hotspot decal.

#52 Billytk

Billytk

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Geneva, Fl.

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:24 AM

Agreed, just because they use a laser doesn't mean it's accurate. 

#53 Old Rookie

Old Rookie

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: North Central Ohio

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:59 AM

I've got the template for verification.  After just pulling the mirror yesterday, I'm in no hurry to pull it again. 

But having collimated the mirror 5-6 times since I bought it and using it another 5-6 times, I would almost best that the spot is centered.  I've had some good images and the starts seem to snap when I hit focus.

#54 jtaylor996

jtaylor996

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: North Texas

Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:49 PM

I'm thinking about getting one of these. My lightbridge has JMI DSCs and a moonlight that I'd like to transfer over. Has anyone had any experience mounting DSCs on this scope?

#55 Old Rookie

Old Rookie

Messenger

• -----

Posted 24 August 2014 - 01:46 AM

I haven't gone that far yet.  However, Astrosystems has a hardware kit that allows installation of the encoders.  The kicker though is that you have to send them one of the side bearing clutch assemblies to be drilled out to receive the encoder.  That's not a bad thing.  I may do this in the future.  I'll add a Bluetooth interface such as BETI and employ either a netbook with Megastar or a tablet with Sky Safari.  I've already swapped out that AA battery pack to a 2.3Amh. battery in the rocker to run the fan.  I'll use that to power the BETI.  The tablet has at least 8 hours of operating time between charges. 

#56 audioaficionado

audioaficionado

Apollo

• -----

Posted 30 August 2014 - 05:51 PM

I've found that if I leave the battery pack anywhere on the rocker/base, the wires will get fouled up around the azimuth tension knob. I'm just going to attach it to a dob magnet and stick it to the OT as additional counterweight.

#57 Old Rookie

Old Rookie

Messenger

• -----

Posted 31 August 2014 - 05:18 AM

Steve,

That's a good idea and fills a need for a counterweight.  I haven't had the tangle issue come up yet.  The battery itself is lightly velcroed to the inside of the rocker box.  I've probably used this configuration 6-7 times without a problem.  I run the battery continuously until I'm ready to pack it in for the night and in the process move the tube all over the sky.

#58 audioaficionado

audioaficionado

Apollo

• -----

Posted 31 August 2014 - 03:33 PM

Mine wasn't Velcroed down and was just laying loose in the rocker box. At least with the magnet I don't have to glue anything to the scope. Not that I wouldn't for a good mod.

#59 Old Rookie

Old Rookie

Messenger

• -----

Posted 01 September 2014 - 05:49 PM

I've got the template for verification.  After just pulling the mirror yesterday, I'm in no hurry to pull it again. 

But having collimated the mirror 5-6 times since I bought it and using it another 5-6 times, I would almost best that the spot is centered.  I've had some good images and the starts seem to snap when I hit focus.

I had some red triangles from Catseye so I thought today would be a good day to check the center.  I pulled the mirror and checked the laser etched spot against the  Catseye template that I had.  Dead center.  So all I had to do was center the triangle over the spot and apply.  Good show Optiscmart.  That's one more good feature.

Also, I've used this around 7-8 times now.  Some of the nights have been dry but on others, I've had to put a dryer to use on my eyepieces.  That being said, the secondary has been quite dry.  I think that even thought it's close to the tube end, the solid tube is preventing any dew issues.  Sweet.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics