30mm ES 82 or 31mm Nagler

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#51 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

• Loc: Canada

Posted 14 August 2014 - 02:25 PM

I don't like the weight factor of either one. For me that's the biggest issue. I weigh (haha) getting these or just sticking with my 32mm plossl (which is a televue :p )

I think if my scopes were really big I'd probably own one of the two. But personally I struggle with the idea of such heavy eyepieces.

Back when I only had my 10 inch dob I had the 26mm Nagler which I felt was a better choice for my situation. But with my 4 inch refractor I think I'd like the 31mm or 30mm.

The more I think about the more I rather just stay with smaller lighter eyepieces and deal with a bit less FOV.

BTW I have compared the 31mm Nagler to the 30mm Meade UWA (should be similar to the 30mm ES). I thought both eyepieces had their pluses and minuses and were very close. I seem to have prefered the 31mm nagler and had no bias at that point because both of them were not mine. I also didn't really have much thoughts toward brands at that time. Bottom line in that situation if you would have told me one was half price (and it wasn't back then) then I would have said OK. Back then the two prices were actually pretty close. I probably would have gone for the televue back then. Now it's much more of a gap in price.

Totally agree about the weight factor!

#52 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 14 August 2014 - 05:20 PM

The more I think about the more I rather just stay with smaller lighter eyepieces and deal with a bit less FOV

The difference between the FOV of the 31mm Nagler and the 32mm Plossl, it's not just a bit less..  The linear difference, about 56% more, the area you see, about 142% more, 2.42x the area.  Myself, I am fortunate enough to own several longer focal length widefield eyepieces.  From my urban backyard, the 31mm Nagler often seems like it's more hassle than it's worth. Out comes the 32mm TV Widefield.. it's about half the weight but it has a nice big eye lens and provides what I call "the Big Easy View", the TFoV is only about 22% larger than the Plossl but it's 65 degree AFoV and it's much more immersive... it's sweet.  

Jon

#53 junomike

junomike

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Ontario

Posted 14 August 2014 - 05:37 PM

None of that math makes any real sense IME. Eyepieces aren't like autos that might wear out and become useless, making it possible to get more out of them with more use. Instead eyepieces retain their used value for quite a while and with simple proper care they never wear out. X dollars for an eyepiece is still X dollars spent no matter how many times it's used.

Howard, I agree that in 5, 10, even 20 years the eyepiece(S) will still have retained their value, thus making the 31T5 an even better option.
I was  only using the "consumption" example as a worst case scenario (where the eyepiece was no longer useful).

Mike

#54 Megabusa

Megabusa

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Page ,AZ

Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:38 PM

I have the ES 34mm 68 EP that and my ES 28mm 68 or my favorite  EPs in my HD 11" Edge , I would like to look through a ES 30MM 82 , I'll bet it's awesome . Ive been very happy with my ES EPs

My ES EPs that I use in both of my Scopes

100 degree

20mm

14mm

82 Degree

6.7mm

11 mm

18 mm

68 Degree

24 mm

28 mm

34 mm

40 mm

:)

• Illinois likes this

#55 howard929

howard929

• Loc: Low End of High Ground

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:01 AM

None of that math makes any real sense IME. Eyepieces aren't like autos that might wear out and become useless, making it possible to get more out of them with more use. Instead eyepieces retain their used value for quite a while and with simple proper care they never wear out. X dollars for an eyepiece is still X dollars spent no matter how many times it's used.

Howard, I agree that in 5, 10, even 20 years the eyepiece(S) will still have retained their value, thus making the 31T5 an even better option.
I was  only using the "consumption" example as a worst case scenario (where the eyepiece was no longer useful).

Mike

Mike,

Lets be honest. No one really needs to jump through hoops trying to justify an expenditure to anyone around here. Once things get approval from the CFO if that happens to apply, then IMO it's all good. 

#56 bgi

bgi

Ranger 4

• Loc: Ga

Posted 15 August 2014 - 10:52 AM

CFO = carbon-based spousal unit.  Silicon-based ones need not apply.

I get a chuckle out of the frequent comparisons between the Nagler 31 and the ES 30 68.  They're both incredible oculars.  One is costly.  The other, not so much.  It's easy to be thrilled with whichever one you happen to be using.

#57 bgi

bgi

Ranger 4

• Loc: Ga

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:12 PM

CFO = carbon-based spousal unit.  Silicon-based ones need not apply.

I get a chuckle out of the frequent comparisons between the Nagler 31 and the ES 30 68.  They're both incredible oculars.  One is costly.  The other, not so much.  It's easy to be thrilled with whichever one you happen to be using.

And another chuckle as I realize I meant "ES 30mm 82"

:blink:

#58 WebFoot

WebFoot

Viking 1

• Loc: Redmond, WA, USA

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:40 PM

I just used my ES 30mm 82 last night for the first time.  My wide field EP for many years had been the Meade Series 4000 32mm SWA (a fine eyepiece).  

The ES is wonderful!  I have never even seen (much less used) a Nagler 31, but, given the price, I don't much care; this slot in my eyepiece lineup for me is not worth what the Nagler costs (not to say it should not be worth it to someone else; I'm speaking only for my own value system).

But there's no question that the ES 30mm 82, for what I just paid for a NIB "used" one, is worth what I paid, and will be in my eyepiece case for a long time (has already literally displaced the Meade).

Mark

• Megabusa and jetstream like this

#59 stevew

stevew

Now I've done it

• -----
  • Loc: British Columbia Canada

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:48 PM

Mark, congratulations.

I haven't used my Meade 32mm since I bought the ES 30 two years ago.

The Meade is much lighter, but has a smaller field of view, and is not sharp to the edge like the ES30.

Enjoy.

Steve

#60 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Gemini

• Loc: St. Louis area

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:59 AM

The more I think about the more I rather just stay with smaller lighter eyepieces and deal with a bit less FOV

The difference between the FOV of the 31mm Nagler and the 32mm Plossl, it's not just a bit less..  The linear difference, about 56% more, the area you see, about 142% more, 2.42x the area.  Myself, I am fortunate enough to own several longer focal length widefield eyepieces.  From my urban backyard, the 31mm Nagler often seems like it's more hassle than it's worth. Out comes the 32mm TV Widefield.. it's about half the weight but it has a nice big eye lens and provides what I call "the Big Easy View", the TFoV is only about 22% larger than the Plossl but it's 65 degree AFoV and it's much more immersive... it's sweet.  

Jon

I'm really struggling with this situation. I'm probably more apt to get the 26mm type 5 over the 30mm ES or 31mm Type 5.

But then I start to think, is it really worth it going 2 inch (and much heavier). First, half my scopes are 1.25 only. Second, I have 3 very nice lumicon 1.25 filters (OIII, UHC, Hbeta). The only 2 inch filters I have are moon related.  Also i'm in general not a fan of heavy eyepieces.

While I do like a nice wide field of view here and there, I'm more of a high mag kind of guy. I have high mag covered in general (both wide and narrow). So it's just that low power part that's missing max FOV a bit for a few of my scopes. The 32mm Plossl and 25mm Plossl do provide pretty good FOV in most scopes. But of course some really jump up in FOV with the 30 ES or 31 Nagler. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to have one of them if I can find a really good deal. I actually think my 103mm Refractor could handle those best. It's got a moonlight focuser which is really strong. And balancing it is pretty easy to accomplish. I'm getting a new C80ED...I'm thinking unless I upgrade that scope to a moonlight it's not going to be too happy with 2 pound eyepieces.

Personally I think my 10 inch would benefit a lot less than my refractors for these eyepieces. The refractors would jump a full degree in FOV. But you pay for that in cost/weight.

#61 jetstream

jetstream

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: NW Ontario,SQM 20

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:57 AM

Last night gave a very good view of the NA neb with the ES 30mm 82/OIII-the prize of the evening was seeing the Pelican neb as a Pelican though!This combo works well for me with the OIII even with a 6.25mm exit pupil.Sky was 21.5 mag,with varying transparency,but only avg at best.The Veil and Wisp were also extensive.

I can't wait for optimum conditions!

• Megabusa likes this

#62 Megabusa

Megabusa

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Page ,AZ

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:53 PM

I just used my ES 30mm 82 last night for the first time.  My wide field EP for many years had been the Meade Series 4000 32mm SWA (a fine eyepiece).  

The ES is wonderful!  I have never even seen (much less used) a Nagler 31, but, given the price, I don't much care; this slot in my eyepiece lineup for me is not worth what the Nagler costs (not to say it should not be worth it to someone else; I'm speaking only for my own value system).

But there's no question that the ES 30mm 82, for what I just paid for a NIB "used" one, is worth what I paid, and will be in my eyepiece case for a long time (has already literally displaced the Meade).

Mark

Thanks a-lot Mark ! You just made me spend more $$$ , I'm going to be the proud owner of a new 30mm 82 degree ES EP , :grin:

• WebFoot likes this

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics