Eyelens Diameters & Eyecups, which are most comfortable

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 NorthWolf

NorthWolf

Vanguard

• Loc: Eastern Canada

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:08 PM

Does anyone know where I can find the different Eyelens Diameters of various or all eyepieces?

I'm looking to test an eyepiece with an eyeglass that would match my eye size if that makes any sense. I feel like a Nagler is 1 or 2 mm too small and the delos is about 2-4mm to big, the Ethos around 3mm more, same with the Pentax XW. I prefer the Nagler eyecups over the Panoptics, Delos and Ethos, as they feel as if they can support your eye-cheek weight when you accidently balance a bit too forward. They feel sturdier and more comfy than the skinny eyecups of the Delos and Pan. The eyecups also play a role in overall comfort, are there some that just feel better to your eyes?

Edited by NorthWolf, 07 August 2014 - 07:02 PM.

#2 russell23

russell23

Skylab

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:03 AM

Do you mean eyelense diameter?  And are you looking for the eyecup to be just a little bigger than the eyelense?

Dave

#3 NorthWolf

NorthWolf

Vanguard

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:22 AM

Eyelense diameter a bit bigger than a naglers, of course smaller than delos. Eyecup as sturdy as the 13mm nagler's, maybe 1-2mm taller. Something I can sink my eye into and without needing to stretch them open as if I've seen a ghost or something else.

#4 NorthWolf

NorthWolf

Vanguard

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:03 PM

Which of these eyepieces seems more comfy for binoviewing?

http://agenaastro.co...piece-25mm.html

http://agenaastro.co...e-eyepiece.html

I like the Agena look...but not sure...

#5 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

• Loc: Canada

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:18 PM

Eyelens diameter matching your eye?

You can't be serious? :lol:

It really doesn't matter......comfort comes with eye relief, which is a personal thing...not eye lens diameter.

#6 NorthWolf

NorthWolf

Vanguard

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:35 PM

Than why don't I feel comfortable with the 20mm er of the delos? I'm dead serious about the Agena ep too lol. If I get them and they show 90% of what I see with the current ep's, it's bye bye Charlie to many of them in my small collection. :beat:

Edited by NorthWolf, 07 August 2014 - 07:38 PM.

#7 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 08 August 2014 - 02:15 PM

Eyelense diameter a bit bigger than a naglers, of course smaller than delos. Eyecup as sturdy as the 13mm nagler's, maybe 1-2mm taller. Something I can sink my eye into and without needing to stretch them open as if I've seen a ghost or something else.

Ah.

Did you know the Delos rubber eyecup is just a small top on a sliding aluminum part that comes up so high you can't get close enough to see all the field?

You can raise it and use the small rubber cup folded down or up--your choice.

#8 NorthWolf

NorthWolf

Vanguard

Posted 08 August 2014 - 05:32 PM

It was a bit easier to use last night, my eye lashes did not feel they were getting close to the glass. Maybe it takes some getting used to.

Edited by NorthWolf, 08 August 2014 - 05:32 PM.

#9 Starman1

Starman1

• Vendors

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:06 PM

It really sounds as if you're not raising the aluminum barrel eyecup on the Delos.

In the up position your eyelashes would have to be an inch long to get anywhere near the glass.

• NorthWolf likes this

#10 NorthWolf

NorthWolf

Vanguard

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:30 PM

It really sounds as if you're not raising the aluminum barrel eyecup on the Delos.

In the up position your eyelashes would have to be an inch long to get anywhere near the glass.

Aluminum barrel? I twist it upwards?

#11 NorthWolf

NorthWolf

Vanguard

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:39 PM

Where is that son of a gun aluminum barrel?

20140808_213309_resized.jpg

#12 Starman1

Starman1

• Vendors

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:39 PM

Hold the top rubber ring tightly.

Unscrew the bottom rubber ring away from the top ring.

All-of-a-sudden, the entire outer edge of the eyepiece slides up and down.

A lot!

Position it where you want and re-tighten the bottom rubber ring while holding the upper rubber ring stationary.

There are even little indicator marks on the side of the eyepiece under the sliding barrel so you can return it to the position you like best.

• NorthWolf likes this

#13 NorthWolf

NorthWolf

Vanguard

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:44 PM

Hold the top rubber ring tightly.

Unscrew the bottom rubber ring away from the top ring.

All-of-a-sudden, the entire outer edge of the eyepiece slides up and down.

A lot!

Position it where you want and re-tighten the bottom rubber ring while holding the upper rubber ring stationary.

There are even little indicator marks on the side of the eyepiece under the sliding barrel so you can return it to the position you like best.

Holy.....Ok I did it, well that seems to change everything, I'm going to go out now, will try it, now that's cool stuff, thanks Don. Televue should make this more known to people, I'd never have thought of doing this if I was not reading on this website. Looks like a well down there now! That's like 50mm er lol. Cool A+

#14 Starman1

Starman1

• Vendors

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:52 PM

Actually, it's in the instructions packed with the eyepiece.

If you bought used, though................

But the major reason it's so cool is that you can still use the eyecaps with the eyecup in any position!

So you can leave it wherever you find it most comfortable.

I, for example, prefer the rubber eyecup turned down to protect my nose from the cold aluminum.

So I might use the eyecup up a little farther than  someone who prefers the eyecup turned up.

Glasses wearers will prefer the eyecup down and the rubber turned down.

And you might, too, in the winter, where the presence of your warm moist eye might fog the lens.

Move the eyecup down, and you have a lot of air circulating between your eye and the lens, so less fogging.

That's why it's adjustable, I guess.

#15 NorthWolf

NorthWolf

Vanguard

Posted 08 August 2014 - 09:12 PM

Ok good, actually I bought this one new, did not read the paper yet! This should be another nice night with the moon.

You like using binoviewers Don? They're amazing on the moon and sun and im sure with many otger objects. If I like the Delos a lot tonight, it may be a good 2nd set for binoviewing for me.

#16 NorthWolf

NorthWolf

Vanguard

Posted 09 August 2014 - 08:00 AM

After last night, my view of the Delos 17.3mm and the whole Delos line has changed for the better. The ergonomics are perfect. I enjoyed it greatly on the moon it's the most immersive eyepiece I've ever tried. Closest thing to a view with a binoviewer. I put it in my binoviewer to see how it would fit and I think a 2nd one would go great.

Edited by NorthWolf, 09 August 2014 - 08:01 AM.

#17 Starman1

Starman1

• Vendors

Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:49 AM

Ok good, actually I bought this one new, did not read the paper yet! This should be another nice night with the moon.

You like using binoviewers Don? They're amazing on the moon and sun and im sure with many otger objects. If I like the Delos a lot tonight, it may be a good 2nd set for binoviewing for me.

Because one of my eyes has poor resolution, binoviewers don't help me at all.  I think they're an interesting item, but I've been observing with one eye for over 5 decades, and the muscles that keep that eye shut are as strong as steel. :lol: 

#18 havasman

havasman

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 09 August 2014 - 12:18 PM

R T F M strikes again!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics