19 replies to this topic

#1 ryan_brodeur

ryan_brodeur

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Connecticut

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:22 PM

Hi all,

I wasn't sure where to put this, so please feel free to bump it as necessary.

I'm planning on getting the following constellations tattooed on my forearm around an existing piece of my son's newborn footpring : Cygnus, Lyra, Aquila, and Delphinus. I'm looking for a quick way to print each constellation in a clean, black and white format, with each to scale. Any ideas?

So that you know, I'm currently equipped with Stellarium, CdC, TheSkyX First Light and SkyTools 3. I've been messing around with them and I'm sure I'd get it eventually, but I was wondering if anyone had some quick advice.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Ryan

#2 kfiscus

kfiscus

Vanguard

• Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:37 PM

My curmudgeonly advice is "You're born with enough holes!"

I do have to admit that well-done tattoos can be cool.  Are you going to try for the whole area  with the constellations in their relative orientations?  If so, won't they be pretty small to fit on a forearm?  Delphinus would just be a speck or a scary mole.

#3 seawolfe

seawolfe

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: N 47.11.23 W 122.20.18

Posted 07 August 2014 - 04:44 AM

While a lot of people get tatoos, I always wonder if they'll like 'em after 30 years or more livin' wit' 'em? :hmm:

Case in point, I remember my late father-in-law's tatoo.  He got it while in the Army...got drafted on VE Day; doesn't remember getting, so probably was a party night.  Anyway, it was green and faded and you could hardly make out what is said or what it was.  He never talked too much about it and probably was a bit embarrased about it.

#4 bumm

bumm

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Iowa

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:29 AM

I've considered getting the Pleiades tattooed on my shoulder, but I figured most people would think it was a skin condition.

Marty

• Galaxy_Mike likes this

#5 seawolfe

seawolfe

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: N 47.11.23 W 122.20.18

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:50 AM

I've considered getting the Pleiades tattooed on my shoulder, but I figured most people would think it was a skin condition.

Marty

You could always say that it was the Subaru car manufacturer emblem if you once owned a Subaru.  :lol: 

#6 Galaxy_Mike

Galaxy_Mike

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:36 AM

The constellations vary, not the boundaries, but as far as which stars make what. So you might want to make sure which stars you want before the tattoo

#7 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:14 AM

and as you age, you can see the what the constellation will look like in the far future....kinda like an age connection, although what is a lifetime to one, is but a second of time to the other.......

#8 ryan_brodeur

ryan_brodeur

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:55 PM

I actually cut Delphinus in the time since the original post - too small. In case you're curious, I attached an image of what made me think these three would look really interesting. The stars themselves would all be solid black fills except for Vega, Altair and Deneb, which would be circles outlined in black with a blue-white fill. The constellation lines themselves would be a solid, grey-washed line.

This is proving to be a challenging mixture of creative interpretation and accuracy. I can't get too precise with the constellations because it becomes too busy. However, they need to be easily recognizable (see the photo) and more or less kept in appropriate relation to one another. If I end up happy with the test designs my wife is putting together and I end up getting the tattoo, I'll follow up.

Thanks for the feedback.

Attached Files

#9 kfiscus

kfiscus

Vanguard

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:44 PM

Could be cool.  Good luck.

BTW, the coolest tattoo I've ever seen was in a 2-page photo in Sports Illustrated (?) of a Bahamian fishing guide's forearm.  He had his entire fishing area's numerous islands and a stylish compass rose tattooed on his right forearm.  Useful and impossible to leave without.

Edited by kfiscus, 07 August 2014 - 11:44 PM.

#10 penguinx64

penguinx64

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Holland

Posted 08 August 2014 - 02:03 PM

Try Wikipedia.  There are lots of simple black and white star charts like this:

http://en.wikipedia....:Cygnus_IAU.svg

#11 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 08 August 2014 - 02:37 PM

It will behoove you to find a "connect the dots" pattern that more closely resembles the actual constellation.

For instance, the patterns for Cygnus and Aquila above are really poor.  It makes Aquila look like a swan, and Cygnus is missing a tail (Deneb).

Here is a more typical Aquila representation:

http://astrobob.area...EtaAqlchart.JPG

But it, too, is pretty poor.

I'd find a 1950's-1960's Sky & Telescope Magazine and look at the connect the dots patterns in them.  In that era, most amateurs could see fainter stars, so a few more stars were connected.

One of the older ways in which Aquila was presented:

http://stardate.org/...rces/aquila.jpg

(if you connect Zeta with 22 Aquilae, and then to Lambda, you enclose the 2nd wing)

and this one is cool:

http://frostydrew.or...ions/aquila.jpg

Here is a better Cygnus, showing wings, neck and tail:

http://www.seasky.or...ages/cygnus.gif

#12 Starman1

Starman1

• Vendors

Posted 08 August 2014 - 02:53 PM

While we're on the subject of poor modern representations of constellations, here is a contemporary Draco:

http://starryskies.c...ons/draco02.jpg

In the star charts of my youth, Draco was almost always represented by two nearly-parallel lines of stars.

It looked more like a serpent.

It's like representing Ursa Major without the legs, nose, and front of the bear.

Could it be that modern stargazers see so many fewer stars they can no longer see the stars that formed the patterns on the older charts?

Perhaps.

#13 ryan_brodeur

ryan_brodeur

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 09 August 2014 - 02:22 PM

Hi all,

Thanks for the suggestions! I have no idea why I didn't think of Wikipedia for the charts, which is weird because I use it for so much else. I went ahead and got the tattoo done off of the design that's attached. I'm really happy with the way it turned out.

Thanks again!

Attached Files

Edited by ryan_brodeur, 09 August 2014 - 02:23 PM.

#14 kfiscus

kfiscus

Vanguard

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:04 PM

Pictures please when your arm is presentable...

#15 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 09 August 2014 - 06:48 PM

If I was going to get an astronomical tattoo, I would have 'TeleVue' tattooed on my left arm, and 'Portaball' on my right. :grin:  

#16 rowdy388

rowdy388

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Saratoga County, NY

Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:33 PM

I'd be inclined to go with John Carter, Tars Tarkus , and Deja Thoris.    Or if that looked too busy maybe Flash Gorden's spaceship approaching an alien planet.

Dave Y

#17 karstenkoch

karstenkoch

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: GMT+9

Posted 10 August 2014 - 05:57 AM

"Oh, that? That's just Pleiades..."

Yeah, you're probably right.

#18 penguinx64

penguinx64

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Holland

Posted 11 August 2014 - 07:48 AM

While we're on the subject of poor modern representations of constellations, here is a contemporary Draco:

http://starryskies.c...ons/draco02.jpg

In the star charts of my youth, Draco was almost always represented by two nearly-parallel lines of stars.

It looked more like a serpent.

It's like representing Ursa Major without the legs, nose, and front of the bear.

Could it be that modern stargazers see so many fewer stars they can no longer see the stars that formed the patterns on the older charts?

Perhaps.

When I was a kid, the stars in Orion's belt were in a perfectly straight line.  That's how it used to look in older star charts too.  Now his belt sags in the middle, just like mine!

#19 Starman1

Starman1

• Vendors

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:30 AM

Priceless. :lol:

#20 ryan_brodeur

ryan_brodeur

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 17 October 2014 - 08:19 PM

It's been done (and presentable) for a while now, though I had to go back for a touchup about a month after the initial work. The lines didn't really take too well at first. I've been meaning to put up a pic for some time, so apologies for taking so long! I'm really happy with the way it came out, and now it just has me thinking about how to continue it up the arm.

For the photo, I tried to make sure that it was rotated correctly, but I'm not sure why it isn't carrying over when I upload it.

Attached Files

• cpper likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: beginner, charts

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics