Photo

Celestron Powerseeker 114AZ for 80$ is it worth it?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 James1996

James1996

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Clyde Ohio

Posted 07 August 2014 - 02:59 AM

Amazon is selling this scope new for cheap however I am wondering if the AZ2 mount can hold it though? If the AZ2 mount it come's with can handle it I think it is.

Edited by James1996, 07 August 2014 - 03:58 AM.

#2 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 07 August 2014 - 05:44 AM

Amazon is selling this scope new for cheap however I am wondering if the AZ2 mount can hold it though? If the AZ2 mount it come's with can handle it I think it is.

Are you looking to buy one or just interested.  I have not used the scope in question but have used similar scopes on similar mounts. The Yoke type fork mount with the threaded adjustment rod is marginal at best and the whole rig will most likely be wobbly and prone to severe vibration... If one only has $80, then it could be a workable scope, otherwise, it's probably best to look elsewhere.  

I did look at the eyepieces, I suspect they are 2 element types, Huygenians and Ramdens. The manual gives the specs:

Eyepieces - 1.25” 25mm (36x), 20mm (45x), 12.5mm (72x), 8mm (113x), 4mm (225x) 
Apparent FOV -- 25mm @ 24°, 20mm @ 22°, 12.5mm @ 30°, 8mm @ 30°, 4mm @ 33°

I figured they were narrow but not quite that narrow.. 22 degrees.. half a Kellner.

Jon

#3 James1996

James1996

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:00 AM

Jon I already have good eyepieces the 25 and 10mm Orion explorer 2's (that came with my Orion Observer 70AZ) and the 20 15 and 9mm Orion Expanse eyepieces (that my brother gave me for free). So the eyepieces are not a problem also I have 110$. But your right those eyepieces that come with the scope are bad...... Also I thought about saving up 90$ more and getting the Orion Starblast 4.5EQ is that any better I have heard mostly good things about it.

Edited by James1996, 07 August 2014 - 06:06 AM.

#4 Censustaker

Censustaker

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Walnut, CA

Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:42 PM

My buddy picked up one of these scopes from a thrift store for $7 the other day. Some people have all the luck!

#5 DocFinance

DocFinance

Viking 1

• Loc: Clear Lake, Texas

Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:53 PM

I got one of these for my daughter a few months ago on Ebay for about $60 w/o shipping (I can't remember exactly).  A whole bunch of the special Kohl's model hit the market at the same time, overstock I guess. 

Anyhow, it's got a pretty good parabolic mirror in it, and the eyepieces aren't really that bad (very bright for their design, with OK eye relief).  The finderscope is 5x24 but not completely useless (a red dot would be marginally better).  The yoke mount was shakier than I suspected, but it's mainly a function of the balance of the scope - the scope is mirror-heavy the way it's made. I think a counterweight of some type near the open end would help that a lot.  A couple of milk carton washers in the horizontal axis smoothed it up immensely. 

So... new for $80 isn't a bad deal.  I'm going to end up putting my daughter's on an EQ1 or EQ2 I think (I have one of each just sitting around), something a bit more stable.  But the original yoke is workable, just not balanced well.

#6 stargazer193857

stargazer193857

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Southern Idaho

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:52 PM

I have this exact scope.

It does not point near the zenith, which is the best place to see targets clearly.

It gives a relatively steady view at 150x. It shakes for 2-3 seconds if you bump it, but settles down fast. Focus is easy.

The included eyepieces are Huygens and give half the AFOV of a Plossl, and have lateral chromatic aberration. The first and only time I saw Jupiter's GRS was in the Huygen 6mm. It looked great in the center of view, but that is the only part of the view that is any good. You will need to buy better eyepieces. Do not be tempted to buy short Plossl's such as the 10mm.

The threaded bar is terrible. I removed it. I drilled new holes for the mount so I could scoot the tube forward for balance. I slews very well under friction now, though not as well as a dob.

The red dot finder is great.

The scope is so light you can carry it at arms length with one hand. It also tips over easily if pushed the wrong direction.

B&H Photo has it for $70 shipped. If you have the money, I recommend you get the Orion Starblast 6 instead. If you shop around, you can get it for $280. The Orion Skyquest 4.5" is $240, but kind of pricey for 4.5". The Orion xt8 is another good deal at $350. I see no reason at all to get the xt6, since it is not much lighter than the xt8.

Get a dob or you will be sorry when your target is near the zenith, or the wind blows you around.

As for eyepieces, medium and longer GSO Plossls are good and $33. For shorter focal lengths, get a Starguider/X-Cel/TMB/Paradigm for $60, or get a $40 achromat 3x barlow. Erfles have soft edges in faster scopes. I have a AgenaAstro 70* SWA, and the outer 50% is soft even at f8. I much prefer the super sharp 60* of the TMB. I can barlow the 70* to get the edges sharp, though.

Edited by stargazer193857, 07 August 2014 - 11:58 PM.

#7 stargazer193857

stargazer193857

Apollo

• -----

Posted 08 August 2014 - 12:05 AM

For $200 you can get the AWB 5" or the Starblast 5. More aperture, better mount. A kid can sit on the ground next to it and not need a table. Equatorial mounts are counter intuitive to aim, and are heavy. If they have any kind of fork they probably can't point at the zenith.

#8 Kavenga

Kavenga

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: SF Bay Area, CA

Posted 08 August 2014 - 12:26 AM

I've got the EQ version of this scope.  The OTA itself is pretty good.  I had rotten luck with the mount.  The scope is way oversized for the EQ1 mount mine came with.  I mounted my ST80 there instead and use the EQ1 in AZ mode(polar axis set to 0 deg) and it is a good setup.  I bought the whole setup on sale at Amazon around Christmas with the intent on using the EQ1 mount with an ST80 I acquired after my initial purchase.

I am currently building an dobsonian mount (w/adjustable tube cradle ala Stellafane plans) for my 114 EQ OTA.  I miss the views of Saturn I was getting with it.  It should also be a very portable and light setup when done.   

Here is a good review of the scope by another user here.

http://www.cloudynig...ta-review-r2799

Clear skies.  

BTW - Look into the Astronomers without Borders 5" scope.  Looks nice and I may well have gone that route if I knew about it when I bought my scope.  

Edited by Kavenga, 08 August 2014 - 12:28 AM.

#9 James1996

James1996

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 08 August 2014 - 07:57 AM

I think have decided to save up my money for a Orion XT8. At 41 pounds it is just light enough for me to carry fully asambled down a flight of stairs and 1200 feet to my observing site. This is good because I do not want to make more then one trip in and out the door. Also I know it is a good scope and I can manage it because I have used my brothers XT8 before infact it was the first scope I ever used it introduced me to the hobby.

Edited by James1996, 08 August 2014 - 10:28 AM.

#10 stargazer193857

stargazer193857

Apollo

• -----

Posted 08 August 2014 - 10:44 AM

The xt8 is an excellent choice. It would be an obvious first choice for me if I did not have so many old joint injuries. I've lifted the OTA for a 10" and an 8" and the 8" is much more manageable. The 6" OTA feels even lighter, but both have the same weight base, so you might as well get the 8" with only a 7 pound difference, and much better performance. My main desire for the StarBlast 6 is I suspect I can carry it even on a bad day.  

#11 stargazer193857

stargazer193857

Apollo

• -----

Posted 08 August 2014 - 10:46 AM

You are off to a good start. When I shopped for my second scope, I was looking at optical performance vs dollars. I just did not think of zenith performance back then. You will be happy with your dob.

#12 youngamateur42

youngamateur42

Surveyor 1

• Loc: La Verne, CA

Posted 08 August 2014 - 11:42 AM

I think have decided to save up my money for a Orion XT8. At 41 pounds it is just light enough for me to carry fully asambled down a flight of stairs and 1200 feet to my observing site. This is good because I do not want to make more then one trip in and out the door. Also I know it is a good scope and I can manage it because I have used my brothers XT8 before infact it was the first scope I ever used it introduced me to the hobby.

Nice choice James. I think a 4.5" reflector from 2.75" refractor is too small a jump for any dramatic difference.  Take your time saving up for that scope! :D

#13 James1996

James1996

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 09 August 2014 - 12:33 AM

I have been thinking about getting the Orion XT8i for the push-to. This is because the light pollution in the small city I live in is just bad enough to make it hard to see the consellations easly on a moonless night. However if the moon is out and nearly a full moon I can barely see much more then the big dipper and the planets.

#14 Galaxy_Mike

Galaxy_Mike

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 09 August 2014 - 10:15 AM

I don't know how to do it, but you could probably make a dob mount for not much if you could scrounge up some free materials from somewhere. My brother in law was getting free stuff from new construction sites (dumpster?) in the area. I get stuff from a factory down the road.

But the 8" should be better. BTW the full moon really doesn't help. I usually do serious  astronomy with no moon

Edited by Galaxy_Mike, 09 August 2014 - 10:17 AM.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics