Photo

Craigslist, ebay and other vintage telescope ads.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
311 replies to this topic

#1 Rich (RLTYS)

Rich (RLTYS)

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: New York (Long Island)

Posted 28 July 2014 - 06:33 AM

This is a continuation of the previous thread. I’m locking the older thread but will keep it on for a couple of days.
A few reminders :
1) the basic guidelines for this forum is to list ads that we find that others may be interested in. It is not attempting to replace CL or EBay as a site to find ALL possible classic ads.

2) do not post your own ads or the ads of your friends. This is considered sale promotion in the open forums and this is a violation of the CN TOS. Please post such ads in the S&S forum or the CNC.

3) do not post photos from ads unless you have the permission of the person who took the photo. If you must have some reference to the photo in the post, then post a link to the photo, not the photo itself.

4) do not post the entire ad text (or large blocks of it) without permission from the author.

5) try to concentrate on the item for sale and not the seller.
6) when posting ads, please describe the item (make/model/price or if unknown basic type info (3" refractor on a Gem), not something completely generic) on either the title or as text in the post. This has been the style that this thread has used over the years. If you have any trouble interpreting this, look to the old threads for the style used.
7) Future ad posts that do not follow posting guidelines or appear to be for items that really have no business in this thread may be removed at moderator discretion.

8) Buyer beware - there are some scams floating around, so do your homework before pursuing any ad.

CN is in no way responsible for the content of these linked ads.

Best regards and clear skies.
Rich (RLTYS)

#2 Bob Myler

Bob Myler

Surveyor 1

• Loc: St Louis, MO

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:10 AM

"Practically new condition....."

http://www.astromart...ified_id=861899

#3 AstroPhys

AstroPhys

Viking 1

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:24 AM

http://www.ebay.com/...faultDomain_...

Decent Buy it Now price on three good looking Diamond Z eyepieces. .965 if you're in the market for some.

#4 starman876

starman876

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: VA

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:25 AM

Had no clue that was a rare mount. I have one of those laying around somewhere. Have had it for over 20 years. I think it actually has encoders on it along with a drives on both axis. Never liked the idea that it does not have a Vixen rail mount so I never really used it.

#5 AstroPhys

AstroPhys

Viking 1

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:27 AM

Unitron Telescope Draw Tube for 60mm Refractors - Hard-to-Find - Good Condition

http://www.ebay.com/...actors-Hard-...

Buy It Now price or you could spend a few more bucks and get the whole OTA!!

#6 apfever

apfever

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:56 AM

Had no clue that was a rare mount. I have one of those laying around somewhere. Have had it for over 20 years. I think it actually has encoders on it along with a drives on both axis. Never liked the idea that it does not have a Vixen rail mount so I never really used it.

I could not find the link for this Mizar mount. I'd be interested in seeing it.

#7 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: The Great Basin

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:59 AM

I could not find the link for this Mizar mount. I'd be interested in seeing it.

Here it is:

http://www.ebay.com/...in-Japan-Exc...

#8 AstroPhys

AstroPhys

Viking 1

Posted 28 July 2014 - 10:03 AM

Rare Vintage Mizar Equatorial Mount

http://www.ebay.com/...in-Japan-Exc...

Here it is. I must confess, I only posted because of the ridiculously high price.

#9 terraclarke

terraclarke

Aurora

• Loc: The Bluegrass State

Posted 28 July 2014 - 10:06 AM

Ridiculously overpriced! If there weren't ridiculous people to pay these ridiculous prices they would fall to,reasonable levels, rather than three times what they are really worth. Mantra: "Just because it's that old, it doesn't make it that good!"

#10 AstroPhys

AstroPhys

Viking 1

Posted 28 July 2014 - 10:17 AM

Maybe I should have posted the Mizar in the "favorite Ridiculous Ads Thread". Actually I bought the exact same model mount, unused, in the original box, just minus the OTA for under $100 just a couple weeks ago. And the guy even paid for my gas to pick it up.

#11 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 28 July 2014 - 10:28 AM

Ridiculously overpriced! If there weren't ridiculous people to pay these ridiculous prices they would fall to,reasonable levels, rather than three times what they are really worth. Mantra: "Just because it's that old, it doesn't make it that good!"

$600 for that particular mount is quite a bit of money but I venture to say that there is not a mount made today one could buy for $200 that is of comparable quality. I have owned two of them and currently own one, in terms of a small equatorial mount, that particular Mizar is a real GEM.. :)

Jon

#12 apfever

apfever

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 28 July 2014 - 10:33 AM

Well yes, they are nice, but not that nice. I have 3. Two are the Meade 320 and one is a direct Mizar 68mm. The mounts are the same except for finish and some minor hardware. The going rate seems to be around $100+- if in good shape. I think I should put up my extra.

#13 tag1260

tag1260

Apollo

• Loc: Ohio, USA

Posted 28 July 2014 - 10:37 AM

http://pittsburgh.en...4508164586.html

#14 terraclarke

terraclarke

Aurora

Posted 28 July 2014 - 10:41 AM

Big step from 200 to 600! BTW, I have the later model Celestron Omni CG4 mount with the heavier stainless steel legs that cost not much over 200; I was able to add duel drives, and a polar scope and not have much over 400 total invested in it and I couldn't be happier. It would have cost a grand or better to do the same with the Vixen GP before they discontinued it last month, and it is just as capable as the green version Vixen GP that I had 10 years ago that cost me way more, only had an RA drive and was not on as sturdy a tripod. Down it if you like, but the Omni CG4 is great value for the money and I'd take it to that Mizar any day.

Heck, I paid 100 for my classic Vixen Polaris in great shape and added an drive for 75! I'll take the Vixen to the Mizar.

#15 terraclarke

terraclarke

Aurora

Posted 28 July 2014 - 10:50 AM

That's one of the real early ones! ~55-56.

#16 terraclarke

terraclarke

Aurora

Posted 28 July 2014 - 10:52 AM

Hey Neil, if you can get 600 buckaroos for it, do it for sure! I would. ;)

#17 starman876

starman876

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: VA

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:10 AM

http://pittsburgh.en...4545018669.html

let's see who can get this for $500.

let the bidding begin

#18 labmand

labmand

Messenger

• Loc: Michigan USA

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:16 AM

Maybe I should have posted the Mizar in the "favorite Ridiculous Ads Thread". Actually I bought the exact same model mount, unused, in the original box, just minus the OTA for under $100 just a couple weeks ago. And the guy even paid for my gas to pick it up.

hey Dan, does this mean the 6600 that was riding on your mount is
worth a bunch also?

#19 bob midiri

bob midiri

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: pa 19320

Posted 28 July 2014 - 01:46 PM

This must be an incredible telescope on cl

#20 Stargoat

Stargoat

Messenger

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 28 July 2014 - 02:23 PM

Heads Up: For those of you who recall the Mayflower that was first up for auction on ebay as a 815 and then revised to the correct model number 816....only one person has bid on it. They have over 8000+ buys...really doubt it is a telescope collector...but then again could be.

There is now under 5 hours to go in case anyone was still interested in this scope.

I helped advised the seller to place the parts in the wooden box where they should be stored to help preserve the scope when it is shipped to the new caretaker. My policy is to not give an opinion on value, to let the market decide the value. Someone will get a very good deal if no one else bids on it.

#21 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:56 PM

Big step from 200 to 600!

Just to be clear, you were the one who suggested the 3x factor.. ("If there weren't ridiculous people to pay these ridiculous prices they would fall to,reasonable levels, rather than three times what they are really worth.")

I personally prefer the Mizar to the Polaris.. As far as the comparison to the CG-4.. the CG-4 is a reasonable mount and handles a larger scope than the Mizar but it is not as nicely made or finished as the Mizar... I suspect the Mizar has superior gears...

I agree that $600 is too much for this mount in the light of today's used market. My point was simply that there are no new mounts of this quality, size and capacity available today for anything close to $200.. I use mine with my PST.. it's a great combination.

Jon

#22 terraclarke

terraclarke

Aurora

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:21 PM

My comment was not in regard to you 200 suggested price Jon. I was talking about the seller's asking price of 600 ($598), and saying you could get a much more competent mount in the CG-4 for between 200 and 400 depending on where you got it and how you outfitted it. 200 would probably be a fair price and yes, there is no quality small mount (GEM) for that price on the market today (new).

#23 Stargoat

Stargoat

Messenger

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:28 PM

Heads Up: For those of you who recall the Mayflower that was first up for auction on ebay as a 815 and then revised to the correct model number 816....only one person has bid on it. They have over 8000+ buys...really doubt it is a telescope collector...but then again could be.

There is now under 5 hours to go in case anyone was still interested in this scope.

I helped advised the seller to place the parts in the wooden box where they should be stored to help preserve the scope when it is shipped to the new caretaker. My policy is to not give an opinion on value, to let the market decide the value. Someone will get a very good deal if no one else bids on it.

FWIW, a quick follow up on the auction. Someone grabbed it near the end of bidding with a very good price IMHO of $152.50 + shipping. Not bad for a 1977 Mayflower 816 which may have only been missing the two upper Styrofoam inserts.

I hope someone here in our group grabbed it at, as all it needed will be good cleaning to look new again.

#24 rcwolpert

rcwolpert

Viking 1

• Loc: San Jose, CA

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:33 PM

I considered bidding, but . . . missed it.

- Bob

#25 CharlieB

CharlieB

Vanguard

• Loc: Southern NH

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:40 PM

That should be a superior scope. I would have bid on it, but I have one already.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics