Photo

The stars at night, are big and bright...

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 strdst

strdst

Soyuz

• Loc: Oregon Territory

Posted 08 August 2014 - 12:01 AM

Don't know what I was thinking. Way too late to be posting on a work night. Later!

Attached Files

• Attached File  0.jpg   110.14KB   0 downloads

#2 akman1955

akman1955

Gemini

• Loc: Alaska, USA

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:35 AM

Neat...hey, where's your 3 legged avatar :lol:

#3 actionhac

actionhac

Skylab

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:15 PM

..........deep in the heart of Texas! how's it going there Keith!

one of these days we will retire and get to stay up all night and morning!

I really like observing from about 2:00AM to sunrise, its beautiful at those hours but impossible to go to work at 6:00 

#4 strdst

strdst

Soyuz

Posted 08 August 2014 - 10:47 PM

..........deep in the heart of Texas! 

Robert you MUST clap between bright and Deep! It is the rule.

Story goes (according to WIKI) that the BBC banned playing this song during WW2 factory hours for fear the assembly line workers would drop their tools to clap. I can't imagine in 1942 that aircraft factory hours were any less than 24/7. Makes sense though, wouldn't want to send out to work an A.W. 38 Whitney Bomber a couple of rivets short!

Don't know how Rosie responded to the song here in the U.S. Probably clapped and got back to work!

I'm not currently in Texas, nor have I ever been, but I must say what a nice guy I just "met" over a telescope, and both he and the telescope were deep in the heart of Texas. Dallas.

So two weeks ago Johann posted another d**n CL ad which I wouldn't expect anyone at this time to remember. The attention span on the CL, eBay, etc. thread is... so short. I was in week four of intense sciatic pain, not going into work and bored... and weak. When the CL ad was posted I just thought I'd write the seller as he was looking for a well versed Boy Scout and Troop Leader to recite the oath and make an offer. I wrote twice but something kept screwing up and nothing sent through my email, so I called. Did I mention I was on pain meds? :lol:  I asked where his high offer stood. A few offers had been made but after calculating the packing and shipping costs, those potential buyers thought better of it and let the deal go. He still had one offer standing. I think the seller would have been happy with $100 when he first posted his ad. Bring a Boy Scout and he probably would have taken $50. 

By mid week the CL ad was still posted so I wrote again. I asked where he stood in the offer process and he replied with "just make me an offer, I'm sure you will win". I quesstimated the packing and shipping costs and made my best offer which was 1/2 of what those first rescinded offers were. I apologized for making such a low bid but with the costs involved in getting it shipped... I thought he might be offended, but instead he wrote back and said I could have it for $100 less than my offer to help me pay the UPS bill. I did say he was a very nice guy!

And so this arrives on my porch...

Attached Files

• Attached File  0.jpg   249.62KB   0 downloads

Edited by strdst, 09 August 2014 - 01:00 PM.

#5 fjs

fjs

Apollo

• Loc: Olympic Peninsula, USA

Posted 08 August 2014 - 11:17 PM

What sort of mobile device are you posting with?

'Frank

#6 strdst

strdst

Soyuz

Posted 08 August 2014 - 11:24 PM

What sort of mobile device are you posting with?

'Frank

Hi Frank... My MacBook. I just want to delete some repetitive posts and don't see how... embarrassing and frustrating. I guess that would be the end of story... Oh well good intentions :(

#7 fjs

fjs

Apollo

Posted 08 August 2014 - 11:33 PM

What sort of mobile device are you posting with? 'Frank

Hi Frank... My MacBook. I just want to delete some repetitive posts and don't see how... embarrassing and frustrating. I guess that would be the end of story... Oh well good intentions :(
  Check out this post with my dumbphone! I don't think we can delete posts anymore. I think we can only edit and clear the field?'Frank

Edited by fjs, 08 August 2014 - 11:40 PM.

#8 strdst

strdst

Soyuz

Posted 08 August 2014 - 11:45 PM

Thanks Frank,

I had a few (many) more posts to follow but... Change is great and eventually I'll learn. Deleting is good for me, without it I'm kinda lost. There is a pretty cool telescope standing in my front yard tonight but I guess you will have to fall by to know about it! Unless I can make this new format work for me. Sorry everyone for the multiple posts that went nowhere. 

#9 strdst

strdst

Soyuz

Posted 09 August 2014 - 12:22 AM

Thanks Frank and Brian for helping clean up the mess of duplicate posts

Edited by strdst, 09 August 2014 - 01:06 PM.

#10 akman1955

akman1955

Gemini

• Loc: Alaska, USA

Posted 09 August 2014 - 08:24 AM

oooh I hate packing pellet's :p especially when they stick too you :lol:  

#11 Brian Risley

Brian Risley

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: SW Florida

Posted 09 August 2014 - 10:21 AM

If you have a dup post or post you want deleted, just let me know, I can easily hide it now without disturbing the rest of the thread!

(If you delete the info in the post and I see it, I will hide it too.)

(There is a problem being looked at as to dup posts, especially from phones.)

Brian

#12 strdst

strdst

Soyuz

Posted 09 August 2014 - 01:11 PM

Here is the telescope in the light...

Attached Files

• Attached File  0.jpg   199.72KB   0 downloads

• xavier likes this

#13 strdst

strdst

Soyuz

Posted 09 August 2014 - 01:20 PM

The objective...

of the12X 40mm finder guide scope. I expected this. It is the flint element that is broken. The cracks radiate from the foils spacers. Any explanation for that?

Attached Files

• Attached File  0.jpg   137.82KB   0 downloads

#14 strdst

strdst

Soyuz

Posted 09 August 2014 - 01:25 PM

Another view showing the Cap'n Crunch focus wheel...

Attached Files

• Attached File  0.jpg   261.25KB   0 downloads

Edited by strdst, 10 August 2014 - 12:34 AM.

• xavier likes this

#15 strdst

strdst

Soyuz

Posted 09 August 2014 - 01:30 PM

Size comparison to the 76 X 910 Royal Astro labeled Lafayette...

Attached Files

• Attached File  0.jpg   271.74KB   0 downloads

#16 strdst

strdst

Soyuz

Posted 09 August 2014 - 01:35 PM

another...

Attached Files

• Attached File  0.jpg   339.68KB   0 downloads

#17 strdst

strdst

Soyuz

Posted 09 August 2014 - 01:43 PM

On my ever so shortening  Bucket List, I had acquiring a Royal Astro Optical telescope with the non rebrand label near the top. I never thought I'd find it in this (rare) format. I know rare is overused but...

Attached Files

• Attached File  0.jpg   150.49KB   0 downloads

#18 strdst

strdst

Soyuz

Posted 09 August 2014 - 02:00 PM

So the story goes like this...

The owner/seller's father bought this telescope (used) from a co-worker in Malaysia in the mid-1970's. I believe the production date was 1962. The original owner had developed cataracts and couldn't use it anymore. So away it went to Deep in the Heart of Texas where it pretty much. for 40 years, stayed in the closet, (Hope you all clapped 4 times there,  i did!). Included in the sale was this... made of wood. I believe the original owner honored this fine instrument by permanently mounting, perhaps in an observatory, on a pier. I think the optics of this telescope are worthy.

Attached Files

• Attached File  0.jpg   157.55KB   0 downloads

Edited by strdst, 09 August 2014 - 02:03 PM.

#19 actionhac

actionhac

Skylab

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 09 August 2014 - 08:13 PM

Very interesting telescope Keith.

The cracked finder lens is amazing the way it  split into 3 equal pieces. I'm wondering if it got extremely hot  and the glass was trying to expand more than the cell would allow, very strange.

I have only one Astro Optical label like yours which I will post here. You can see mine is more "Americanised" for export.

Attached Files

#20 Nave

Nave

Apollo

• -----

Posted 09 August 2014 - 10:28 PM

What a score, dawg.  And from ~1,800 miles' distance.

Bravo.

<<Golf Clap>>

That's a great shot of those two side-by-side.  Really shows the size difference. 

Not one, but two Cap'n Ahab telescopes.  Wow. 

#21 strdst

strdst

Soyuz

Posted 09 August 2014 - 11:15 PM

oooh I hate packing pellet's :p especially when they stick too you :lol:  

Hi John!

Stick they do after jiggling around in trucks for 3 days building up some serious static. Probably ought to leave the packages unopened for a few days to let things settle down but really who can wait? Maybe a few shots of Static Guard on your arms before reaching into the box would help. :undecided:

Hmmm, my three legged avatar. I changed it a while ago then my hard drive broke and I lost all of the digital pictures I had ever taken. Oh well. Maybe I can salvage the shot I posted to the "picture of you and your classic telescope" thread. 

#22 strdst

strdst

Soyuz

Posted 10 August 2014 - 12:10 AM

Very interesting telescope Keith.

The cracked finder lens is amazing the way it  split into 3 equal pieces. I'm wondering if it got extremely hot  and the glass was trying to expand more than the cell would allow, very strange.

I have only one Astro Optical label like yours which I will post here. You can see mine is more "Americanised" for export.

Beautiful label you have there! You know it is upside down right? :lol:

I was also thinking heat may have cracked the flint so perfectly. This model came with a Herschel wedge... sun diagonal, so may have spent some hours of daytime viewing. I wonder if the ep end of the finder was capped if heat could build up in the tube enough to crack the flint?

#23 strdst

strdst

Soyuz

Posted 10 August 2014 - 12:41 AM

What a score, dawg.  And from ~1,800 miles' distance.

Bravo.

<<Golf Clap>>

That's a great shot of those two side-by-side.  Really shows the size difference. 

Not one, but two Cap'n Ahab telescopes.  Wow. 

Thanks Evan,

I'm still curious how I came to own this beauty, like who were the other bidders and where did they go? Cap'n Ahab eh?  Hmmm, as I recall there is a bad outcome there :lol: I got some viewing in despite the stupid moon (hey can we do something about that?). Double and single stars are awesome. Collimation seems to be spot on. 

Edited by strdst, 10 August 2014 - 12:42 AM.

#24 fjs

fjs

Apollo

Posted 10 August 2014 - 12:58 AM

I'll get working on that moon thing. It'll take a couple weeks, but I think I can get rid of it for you.

#25 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

• Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT

Posted 10 August 2014 - 12:02 PM

I wonder if maybe the finder got dropped on the back end...????  A small distraction from a great find!!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics