ATM Chicago scope

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 sgorton99

sgorton99

Gemini

• Loc: Wisconsin, Madison

Posted 08 August 2014 - 06:09 AM

Apparently, this was made by a person who worked at the Adler planetarium in the 70s. Picking up later this morning. 

Will be interesting to see!

Attached Files

#2 sgorton99

sgorton99

Gemini

Posted 08 August 2014 - 06:10 AM

And this (which I'm mailing to the East coast to a fellow CN friend).

Attached Files

#3 sgorton99

sgorton99

Gemini

Posted 08 August 2014 - 06:12 AM

And these, who are getting mailed west to another CN friend.

Attached Files

#4 sgorton99

sgorton99

Gemini

Posted 08 August 2014 - 06:19 AM

Mirror

Attached Files

#5 John Jarosz

John Jarosz

Astro Gearhead

• Loc: Fairfax, Iowa

Posted 08 August 2014 - 07:47 AM

The Adler had a mirror grinding workshop in the basement where anyone could come in an use it to grind a mirror.  I remember watching people grinding away during visits in the 60's.  I think the workshop was open well into the 70's, but it was closed after one of their major remodeling efforts.  Do you know that the scope was made by someone who worked for the Adler or was the scope made at the Adler by a member of the general public?

It looks 100% original.  That was the way ATM scopes were built in the 70's.  Very cool.

#6 LarsJ

LarsJ

Explorer 1

• Loc: Sycamore, IL

Posted 08 August 2014 - 07:59 AM

That is indeed very cool.  I love the pipe-fitting mount.  Can't wait to see more pics and find out what he used for bearings.

#7 John Jarosz

John Jarosz

Astro Gearhead

• Loc: Fairfax, Iowa

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:07 AM

Typically on a pipe mount the threads are the bearings.

#8 terraclarke

terraclarke

Aurora

• Loc: The Bluegrass State

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:45 AM

Not necessarily, IIRC, Thompson's classic, "Making Your Own Telescope", there were instructions on building a pipe mount where the pipe fittings served as shaft housings and the builder was shown how to pour babbited bearings for solid steel shafts.

#9 apfever

apfever

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:55 AM

I have a pipe mount that has poured babbit, and another that runs in a babbited clamshell.

#10 bremms

bremms

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: SC

Posted 08 August 2014 - 11:45 AM

Very cool scope. Edmund cell maybe.  Nice ATM job fro that era F6 or so?

#11 nightpilot

nightpilot

Vostok 1

• Loc: Southern Suburbs, Chicago

Posted 08 August 2014 - 11:49 AM

The Adler had a mirror grinding workshop in the basement where anyone could come in an use it to grind a mirror.  I remember watching people grinding away during visits in the 60's.  I think the workshop was open well into the 70's, but it was closed after one of their major remodeling efforts.  Do you know that the scope was made by someone who worked for the Adler or was the scope made at the Adler by a member of the general public?

It looks 100% original.  That was the way ATM scopes were built in the 70's.  Very cool.

I made several mirrors in the Adler optical shop back in the day. Typically the shop was used to do the "optical" portion of the build and the mounting and mechanical construction on your own. Was going to try the pipe-babbit bearings myself back then on my first scope build, but a master machinist and die maker intervened. (Thanks Dad.) 

Looks like an interesting scope. Any markings on the mirror?

Bob

#12 EJN

EJN

Vanguard

• Loc: 53 miles west of Venus

Posted 08 August 2014 - 11:52 AM

The Adler had a mirror grinding workshop in the basement where anyone could come in an use it to grind a mirror.  I remember watching people grinding away during visits in the 60's.  I think the workshop was open well into the 70's, but it was closed after one of their major remodeling efforts.

I made a mirror there in 1970 (a 6" f/8 - I still have the mirror), my first. The optical shop was run by Ken Wolf then.

Later, Jim Seevers and Dan Joyce ran it.

And yes, it was closed, they were adding a 5 million sq. foot addition, but closed the optical shop because

they "needed the space." Idiots.

Edited by EJN, 08 August 2014 - 01:51 PM.

#13 nightpilot

nightpilot

Vostok 1

• Loc: Southern Suburbs, Chicago

Posted 08 August 2014 - 12:01 PM

The Adler had a mirror grinding workshop in the basement where anyone could come in an use it to grind a mirror.  I remember watching people grinding away during visits in the 60's.  I think the workshop was open well into the 70's, but it was closed after one of their major remodeling efforts.

I made a mirror there in 1970 ( a 6" f/8 - I still have the mirror), my first. The optical shop was run by Ken Wolf then.

Later, Jim Seevers and Dan Joyce ran it.

And yes, it was closed, they were adding a 5 million sq. foot addition, but closed the optical shop because

they "needed the space." Idiots.

Still have several of my mirrors I made there (including the 6 inch f/8 first, a great setup. Ken was a good teacher), and yes I remember Ken and Jim both. See Dan all the time at CAS meetings. OK ... back on track. If there are markings on the mirror. I believe Dan still has the old optical shop records if you wanted to find out more details.

Bob

#14 oldtimer

oldtimer

Apollo

• Loc: Lake County Illinois

Posted 08 August 2014 - 01:12 PM

I got this story 2nd hand so maybe someone here has 'first' hand info. The Story... It was announced that the optical shop would be closing 'temporaly' for remodeling. Then on one weekend management cleaned everyhing out of the shop and deposited it all in a couple of dumpsters. When some who worked in the shop found out about this they hurriedly went 'dumpster diving. They saved what they could and took it down an Indiana club. Sounds awful enough to be true!

#15 apfever

apfever

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 08 August 2014 - 02:23 PM

Any Indiana club is likely going to be the Wasbash Astronomical Society. Some one there would probably remember if it was their club.

#16 herrointment

herrointment

Aurora

• Loc: North of Hwy. 64

Posted 08 August 2014 - 02:43 PM

This place and its people never fail to amaze me.

Edited by herrointment, 08 August 2014 - 02:47 PM.

#17 highertheflyer

highertheflyer

Viking 1

• Loc: Aledo, Texas

Posted 09 August 2014 - 07:29 PM

I got this story 2nd hand so maybe someone here has 'first' hand info. The Story... It was announced that the optical shop would be closing 'temporaly' for remodeling. Then on one weekend management cleaned everyhing out of the shop and deposited it all in a couple of dumpsters. When some who worked in the shop found out about this they hurriedly went 'dumpster diving. They saved what they could and took it down an Indiana club. Sounds awful enough to be true!

This reminds me of the way Chicago politics closed Meigs Field.

One day in operation, then, through the night, holes were dug in the runway....

Next morning, history to a wonderful lakeside airport.

Jim

#18 sgorton99

sgorton99

Gemini

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:29 AM

Unfortunately, after meeting with the seller at his work (my wife and I were down to Chicago anyway for a mini-vacation), I did not purchase this scope package. The eyepieces appeared to have fungus (especially the Brandon), and since I was sending it to a friend I just didn't feel comfortable with it. I am happy I was able to view everything in person, and just consider it one of my many astro learning experiences.

Steve

#19 terraclarke

terraclarke

Aurora

• Loc: The Bluegrass State

Posted 10 August 2014 - 09:01 AM

Sorry it didn't work out for you Steve. Sometimes things just look better in pictures and/or in our imagination than they do in real life. The hunt continues! ;)

#20 sgorton99

sgorton99

Gemini

Posted 10 August 2014 - 09:33 AM

Thanks Terra. 

Edited by sgorton99, 10 August 2014 - 12:07 PM.

• terraclarke likes this

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics