Get it while it's hot...(100ED)

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:37 AM

No affiliation with the seller, but I just noticed a nice condition Vixen 100ED (Synta optics) with the Sky-watcher hard case over on A-mart for a reasonable $450.

http://www.astromart...ified_id=860613

This is the 4" f/9 FPL-53 doublet.  In my opinion the Vixen version is the best looking of the bunch (better than the gunmetal Orion, black and white Sky-watchers, gold and white Sky-watcher, teal and white Celestron, etc.).

Have at it!

- Jim 

#2 JonNPR

JonNPR

Mariner 2

• Loc: Oregon

Posted 09 August 2014 - 01:30 PM

I love mine! Good price for a used version.

Jon

Edited by JonNPR, 09 August 2014 - 01:31 PM.

#3 waso29

waso29

Messenger

• Loc: Chi-Town, USA, mother earth

Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:08 PM

I also like the blue tubed 100ed.

Attached Files

#4 Patricko

Patricko

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: USA

Posted 10 August 2014 - 11:23 AM

:undecided:Meh... they're ok. Don't seem to compete with a 6" SCT or 8" dob on most targets.

#5 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 10 August 2014 - 11:48 AM

The 100mm ED is still available. I like my C80ED for sharp and ready-to-go grab-n-go. The 100mm ED would have to be an improvement on my C102 f/9.8 achromat.  After years of observing with Newts and Cats, the CA looks obvious to my eyes.

But that 100mm ED is nearly 3 feet long, not much shorter than my C102.  I am trying to get away from long-tube refractors. I don't like the ergonomics. Sit, stand, sit, stand. I don't like it.

I think I'll pass.

Mike

#6 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

Posted 10 August 2014 - 12:59 PM

I just sit-sit with all of my SCTs, APOs and long tubed refractors, courtesy of a Catsperch Pro observing chair.

:grin:

- Jim

#7 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 10 August 2014 - 01:19 PM

Unfortunately, I live in a condo with no yard. I have to set up in public areas, so I like to limit the gear I take out at one time. If I can't take everything out in one trip, it's not going out. I can strap a fold-up camping stool around my shoulders. I don't think I'd be able to do that with a Catsperch Pro. :thinking:

Now, when I travel to a dark site, I can pack more gear and I do. But so far I haven't needed a special astro chair for my Dobs and Cats. A $19 adjustable stool works fine.

But since I've gone ED/APO, I'm done with the achro. Never did like the CA. Never liked the GEMs. Never liked the long tubes with the huge range in eyepiece altitude. Expect to see all that for sale soon on S&S and AstroMart.  Though I think I'll keep the little achro finders and the ST80.  And of course the C80ED is not going anywhere.

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 10 August 2014 - 01:22 PM.

#8 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 10 August 2014 - 01:29 PM

One advantage to refractors - whether achro or ED/APO - is their fast acclimation time compared to Dobs and Cats. I am thinking about keeping the C102 achro for grab-n-go viewing during the cold months.  And that would be a reason to upgrade from the C102 to a 4" ED scope.  But then there's that "sit-stand-sit-stand."  I wonder if I could strap a Catsperch across my back?

Mike

#9 PowellAstro

PowellAstro

Apollo

• Loc: Tennessee

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:12 PM

With the refractor the light cone only passes through the tube currents once and moves away from the tube walls as it comes to focus. The CATs and reflectors pass the light two or three times and rides the tube walls the full path to the primary. This causes more damage to the light passing through the scope. Also mirrors will distort the wavefront twice as much as a lens for the same amount of contraction or expansion.

#10 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 12 August 2014 - 06:42 AM

On the other hand, I have a 10" Dob. It is a relatively portable scope, easy to set up.  I couldn't imagine dealing with a 10" refractor! Aperture does count for something ...  actually, for quite a lot.

Mike

#11 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 12 August 2014 - 08:01 AM

One advantage to refractors - whether achro or ED/APO - is their fast acclimation time compared to Dobs and Cats. I am thinking about keeping the C102 achro for grab-n-go viewing during the cold months.  And that would be a reason to upgrade from the C102 to a 4" ED scope.  But then there's that "sit-stand-sit-stand."  I wonder if I could strap a Catsperch across my back?

Mike

Mike

Not likely but there are chairs you could. The Starbound has the height range necessary but its pretty heavy. There's another chair that doesn't have quite the range but it folds nicely and works on the same principle. I can imagine carrying it on my back

#12 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 12 August 2014 - 10:51 AM

Carrying a heavy chair on my back, an AT Voyager with extension column and yard-long 4" refractor in my arms, maneuvering down the steps and around the building, trying to avoid ice and snow during the winter ... hmm ... :thinking: Perhaps I would prefer not to ...  Now let me get that C80ED on 501HDV and Bogen tripod!

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 12 August 2014 - 10:54 AM.

#13 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 12 August 2014 - 10:56 AM

Jon,

Not likely but there are chairs you could. The Starbound has the height range necessary but its pretty heavy. There's another chair that doesn't have quite the range but it folds nicely and works on the same principle. I can imagine carrying it on my back.

What is that other chair?

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 12 August 2014 - 10:57 AM.

#14 DaveJ

DaveJ

Surveyor 1

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 12 August 2014 - 12:06 PM

Jon,

Not likely but there are chairs you could. The Starbound has the height range necessary but its pretty heavy. There's another chair that doesn't have quite the range but it folds nicely and works on the same principle. I can imagine carrying it on my back.

I forget the "astronomy chair" name for this, but here's the exact chair on Amazon, and for a better price.

#15 Jim7728

Jim7728

Cosmos

• Loc: Stoop Landing Observatory, NYC

Posted 12 August 2014 - 01:04 PM

If I were in the market and had the funds.

Almost pristine TEC 140 $3995

http://www.astromart...ified_id=863439

#16 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

Posted 12 August 2014 - 01:34 PM

Mike, you could always move...

- Jim

#17 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 12 August 2014 - 09:23 PM

Mike, you could always move...

- Jim

No I could not. I'm harbored right here by a little anchor, a big anchor and a rusty old anchor.  My ship won't be sailing to darker seas for a while yet....

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 12 August 2014 - 09:23 PM.

#18 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 12 August 2014 - 09:27 PM

Jon,

I forget the "astronomy chair" name for this, but here's the exact chair on Amazon, and for a better price.

Nope, I do not like these astro chairs. I already have one similar and would like to sell it.

Mike

#19 mgwhittle

mgwhittle

Apollo

• Loc: Chattanooga, TN

Posted 13 August 2014 - 12:22 PM

Jon,

Nope, I do not like these astro chairs. I already have one similar and would like to sell it.

Mike

Take a gander at this one.......you can go from almost on the ground to pretty high.  Very sturdy and easy to adjust even in the dark.   http://www.amazon.co...BCVPGJ16R2RBM34

On second thought, it's probably too heavy for what you are wanting to do.

Edited by mgwhittle, 13 August 2014 - 12:24 PM.

#20 OrdinaryLight

OrdinaryLight

Ranger 4

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:34 PM

A Denver chair looks like it could be made light enough to carry on your back. I really enjoyed my C102 and only sold it after spending much more on an f/7 ED. The improvement in CA is nice but the main reason was the length, which went from 39" with the f/10 to 23.5" for the f/7 (with dew shield collapsed). The C102 was a good deal lighter though.

#21 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:19 AM

I don't have the space or proper tools to make my own chair, so that's out. But I'm still on the look out for a better chair for grab-n-go at home and for longer sessions at my dark site. (Two very different uses and probably two very different chairs.) I did like the Harbor Freight Tools adjustable stools, but my last one finally fell apart a few days ago. It seems the workmanship on those were getting worse and worse. I won't visit that again. In any case, it was too bulky for grab-n-go.

Yep, I'm on the verge of selling my C102 as well.  It was a good bargain, but the C80ED pretty much replaces and surpasses it.  I really don't see any clear advantage to the C102.  Sure, it has 22mm more aperture, but it also has a lot more CA.  I don't think the C102 OTA is lighter than the C80ED.   But when I consider the scope plus mount, the C102 is very much heavier.  The C102 has to go on my AT Voyager with extension column, while the C80ED easily rides a 501HDV head on Bogen tripod. 

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 15 August 2014 - 06:20 AM.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics