Slight Upgrade from SBIG ST-7XE?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rutherfordt

rutherfordt

Ranger 4

• Loc: Northeast Tennessee USA

Posted 09 August 2014 - 10:31 AM

I currently have an SBIG ST-7XE-- this version of the ST-7 has the enhanced blue chip and utilizes USB for downloads.  I have a line on an almost unused ST-7XME (maybe completely unused) and am wondering whether it would be worth acquiring it (and then selling my current one).

Is it enough of an upgrade to fool with?  The XME version has microlenses over the pixels for higher quantum efficiency, but I think that is the only difference between the two models.

I use it only for photometry so the small chip size is not an issue.

Comments?

Tom

#2 Ed Wiley

Ed Wiley

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Kansas, USA

Posted 09 August 2014 - 07:44 PM

I don't like seft-guiders for variable star work with more than one filter as you have to retake flats if you rotate the camera to find a guide star. So I have a ST402ME with the BVI filter wheel. I also have a ATIK 314L+. ABG, but linear out to 60,000 and very little noise. If course, you also need a filter wheel for this one if you use more than one filter. The advantage of the 402 is that relatively inexpensive internal filter wheel.

Ed

Edited by Ed Wiley, 09 August 2014 - 07:46 PM.

#3 rutherfordt

rutherfordt

Ranger 4

• Loc: Northeast Tennessee USA

Posted 10 August 2014 - 08:33 AM

Ed:

Thanks for replying.

I do have the filter wheel on the XE and I plan to just move it over.  Also, I don't normally use the guider on variable stars, but do sometimes when I decide to take "pretty pictures," (I don't do that often).

You have been the only one to respond so I think that I am going to repost my question up in the CCD forum where more people will see it.

Thanks again.

Tom

#4 gavinm

gavinm

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Auckland New Zealand

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:11 AM

I use a ST7-XME for photometry and it's a beast (in a good way). Amazing QE. Depending on price, I would upgrade.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics