• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 CharlesC

CharlesC

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 09 August 2014 - 03:46 PM

Stumbled on this Rod Mollise youtube video and it was really educational on the revolution of video observing in last few years. Also known as Uncle Rod on his great blog and review site. 

This video really has me wondering if I should spend $100 on a LN300 or just go ahead and get a $500 cooled camera since they have quickly dropped from the $1500-$2000 price range?  Here is the video:

https://www.youtube....h?v=s5Tp_-JsJ20

FYI - Uncle Rod has a great 100 page history of CAT telescopes here.  Great if you are shopping for a used CAT telescope.

http://skywatch.brainiac.com/used/

• RightWill likes this

#2 Mr Greybush

Mr Greybush

Viking 1

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:44 AM

Charles take a bit of advice if you've never had any experience before with AP. The route of buying a camera such as the one above gives you a couple of things to think about.  

A: you wont have a lot of money invested thus if you decide that its not your thing then the financial loss is a lot less. I would make a recommendation is spend a lot of time with researching cameras don't make the mistake of getting a camera that is to hard to use or deal with

B: you can learn the basics with the camera that can help when you move up the ladder both in processing and capturing

C: You can go ahead and spend the $$ with a more expensive cooled camera  sure its there

Then here's what I did I started with a used camera still use it and honestly I don't see purchasing a new one because I'm actually satisfied with the results thus for me there is no need to spend the money unless the camera I have dies.  

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics