• Please log in to reply
152 replies to this topic

#151 bgi

bgi

Ranger 4

• Loc: Ga

Posted 14 October 2014 - 11:27 AM

A 6" does not really show much.

Hmmm. Don't tell that to my 6" refractor... One of the finest views I've seen of M13 was with a 6" f/8 achromat and binoviewer with 20mm widefield eyepieces, working at 60x. It was not the view with the most stars resolved, but it was of an exquisite beauty I've not seen in any other scope since. 

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

Not doubting that it was beautiful, but IME, globs look MUCH better with large aperture and high power.

#152 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NC

Posted 17 October 2014 - 08:08 AM

I finally got a clear night with great transparency and had my 8" SCT out.  Checked out M92 and M13 with the BV in place.  The best view I had with the BV was the butterfly cluster, almost 3D look.

• NorthWolf likes this

#153 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 17 October 2014 - 10:22 AM

oou

A 6" does not really show much.

Hmmm. Don't tell that to my 6" refractor... One of the finest views I've seen of M13 was with a 6" f/8 achromat and binoviewer with 20mm widefield eyepieces, working at 60x. It was not the view with the most stars resolved, but it was of an exquisite beauty I've not seen in any other scope since. 

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

Not doubting that it was beautiful, but IME, globs look MUCH better with large aperture and high power.

I share this sentiment.  M13 is lovely in my 6" APO, but far better in my 12" dob.      Just as in everything else, it is hard to dismiss the advantage that aperture offers and for binoviewing, I think that the Newt/Dob is the best possible platform, especially when coupled with a powerswitch type system.

Edited by Eddgie, 17 October 2014 - 12:49 PM.

• NorthWolf likes this

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics