Astronomy computer

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 James Cunningham

James Cunningham

Gemini

• Loc: Maryland

Posted 11 August 2014 - 07:02 PM

I want to build a dedicated astronomy computer with USB 3 as well as at least 8 Meg's of ram.  I would want a small footprint case for use at the scope.  A CD/DVD slot.  Also would like  PC slot for expansion.  Would prefer  Windows 7.  It's got to have lots of power for about 8 USB ports.  Quad processors.   Only need 2 USB 3 ports.  Wifi connection necessary and FireWire and Blue tooth would be nice.   Large, fast digital hard drive.  Anyone who can build one for me or point me to a website that builds custom computers?  You can reply to my e-mail at vikelj(at)comcast.net.

Jim

#2 CharlesW

CharlesW

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Chula Vista & Indio, CA

Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:06 AM

I picked up a Toshiba I7, 8 core, 16 gig ram, 1 tb, 17" screen laptop at Costco for $800. Best of all, it has a two year warranty. Something to be said for store bought. 

#3 ismosi

ismosi

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pennsylvania, USA

Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:49 PM

Check out HP. They sell W7 laptops.

http://shopping.hp.c...brids/windows 7

I bought an HP laptop a couple or three years ago, so I get their emails occasionally, which is how I know they are selling W7 computers. Another alternative is to buy a W8 computer, and, if you have a copy of W7 just install it yourself, but finding drivers could be an issue.

If you pick 'high performance' you can upgrade it to 16 gigs of RAM. Shortcoming of the ones I looked at further is that they have 5400 rpm hard drives. I'd consider replacing with an SSD if you want really high performance.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics