• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 TestnDoc

TestnDoc

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:32 PM

Hi Guys,

I am going to build a new home in the next few months, and would like to incorporate an observatory into it somehow. A dome probably wont pass the HOA review committee. I am considering having a portion of the roof to slide open, but have no idea where to find this or how much it might cost. My equipment currently is a 12.5" iDK on an AP 1100 mount.  Any ideas? Thanks.

#2 TCW

TCW

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Somewhere in a galaxy far, far away.

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:53 PM

Have you searched the Observatory threads? This subject comes up a lot and there have been quite a few observatories featured that would likely fit your needs.

#3 1965healy

1965healy

The Snarkster

• Moderators
  • Loc: San Antonio, TX

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:54 PM

Attached File  image.jpg   59.34KB   2 downloadsMine was built by Backyard Observatories and is over my garage.  The roof slides off.

#4 *skyguy*

*skyguy*

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Western New York

Posted 11 August 2014 - 11:01 PM

I would strongly recommend you place the observatory over a garage or an unheated, unoccupied part of the house. Not only will you have less problems with heat thermals ... but, far more importantly ...  if the observatory springs a water leak, you won't end up with thousands of dollars in water damages! You can view my 12 year old garage-top observatory that houses a 12" SCT and possibly pick up some construction ideas here:

https://www.flickr.c...57644177074161/

Good Luck with your build ...

Jim

#5 TestnDoc

TestnDoc

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 12 August 2014 - 08:59 AM

Great ideas guys. Thank you!!

#6 rkayakr

rkayakr

Ranger 4

• Loc: Northeast Ohio

Posted 12 August 2014 - 10:29 PM

I just started building an observatory as part of an extensive home remodel. The RoR observatory is at second floor height next to an unheated enclosed patio on the South side of my home (at 42 degrees North). The space under the observatory is open on two sides and provides an extended  shaded patio space. The observatory is built to the  11' by 11' BYO plans but up 10' from the extended  patio slab. The observatory roof rolls off to the North over the unheated patio roof on beams that extend to the side of the house.

#7 lambermo

lambermo

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: .nl

Posted 13 August 2014 - 07:01 AM

I'm having a rooftop dormer placed with a sliding hatch on top of it. The hatch slides over to the second half of the dormer. The idea is that from the street it looks just like a large dormer. Inside will be an isolated room such that there's no hot air from the house going out destroying the seeing. Maybe this solves your HOA problem ?

-- Hans

#8 TestnDoc

TestnDoc

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:05 AM

Can you guys post up any pics? rkayakr and lambermo's projects sound very interesting!

#9 drollere

drollere

Surveyor 1

• Loc: sebastopol, california

Posted 13 August 2014 - 05:29 PM

i have a split roll off roof observatory in the back field -- split because a single section would be very heavy. schematics, design details, photos and a blog narrative of the construction are linked here: http://www.handprint...STRO/index.html

i wouldn't recommend building the observatory anywhere near your residence structures if you can avoid it. if you can't then the garage is probably the best option, assuming it has no roof insulation and (ideally) something like a white quartz pebble roof.

the observatory area itself can be astonishingly small, if it's well designed -- dennis de cicco built a "doghouse" observatory while waiting to build his two story astronomy god observational multiplex. he liked the dinky one so much he was reluctant to tear it down.

http://www.skyandtel...rd-observatory/

#10 lambermo

lambermo

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: .nl

Posted 14 August 2014 - 02:44 PM

Can you guys post up any pics? rkayakr and lambermo's projects sound very interesting!

No photos from my side yet as construction had not yet begun I'm afraid. I expect delivery end of this year. 

#11 tassy

tassy

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 August 2014 - 07:33 PM

I am just in the process of completing a raised observatory which is constructed on a 3m high platform approx. 3.5m by 3.5m next to my house. Telescope is a Meade 16"LX200. The pier is primarily supported by two 200PFC (parallel flange channel) beams (22.9kg/m) separated by approx. 850mm and 3.5m long. I suspected beam deflections at the centre (where the pier is supported) might cause problems which is turning out to be the case. I currently have a couple of ACROW type props temporarily providing support immediately under the pier (which is a big improvement) until I can fix something a bit more permanent. I was hoping to have the area under the platform clear so it could be used as a walkthrough but I don't think this will be possible. Can provide more details if anyone interested. 

#12 rkayakr

rkayakr

Ranger 4

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:41 AM

My observatory is part of an extensive home remodel. The observatory is being built to the BYO 11' by 11' plans but 10' above grade and with one side of the base next to an unheated enclosed patio. The roll off roof will slid on rails that are attached to the side of the house and slide above the enclosed patio roof. The space underneath the observatory will be a covered patio open on 3 sides (enclosed patio on fourth). I'll also use the hardware package from BYO. I bought a Linak height adjustable pier from the Ceramic Tool Company and will make the adaptors myself.

They just started ripping off the old roof structure,  going from mansard/flat to pitched,  so nothing new has been laid down yet. In theory it will all be done by Thanksgiving. Yes, I know, I should ask Thanksgiving of what year.

#13 rkayakr

rkayakr

Ranger 4

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:56 AM

View of house. Observatory will go into that cutout in the roof. If you exit the white door you will be under the observatory floor.

Edited by rkayakr, 16 August 2014 - 02:12 PM.

#14 Tom McDonald

Tom McDonald

Ranger 4

• Loc: Circling the Black Hole

Posted 16 August 2014 - 06:31 PM

View of house. Observatory will go into that cutout in the roof. If you exit the white door you will be under the observatory floor.

I don't see anything!!!??? I'm BLIND! I'm BLIND! <--- :looney:

I'd love to see it, tho

#15 rkayakr

rkayakr

Ranger 4

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:35 PM

delete this post

Edited by rkayakr, 16 August 2014 - 10:41 PM.

#16 rkayakr

rkayakr

Ranger 4

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:39 PM

try againAttached File  houseObs.JPG   133.94KB   0 downloads

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics