Photo

It was cloudy anyway, so I bought some stuff (sorry!)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 magic612

magic612

Soyuz

• Loc: S. of Chicago's light dome

Posted 12 August 2014 - 10:40 PM

It's been pretty horrible here, from a clear-skies standpoint. Although there have been breaks in the weather, it has gotten increasingly cloudy to the point of almost always overcast the last 2 or 3 weeks. I finally decided that it wasn't going to be clear anyway, so I might as well buy some things while it was cloudy, since it wasn't like my buying stuff was going to mess up anyone's clear skies around me.

I'd been looking to update a few things, and also add to the collection. I got a new-to-me CG-4 mount that should serve nicely for several smaller telescope applications, plus the lovely 4" f/15 refractor, along with some flocking to do some stray-light catching in a few scopes, not to mention a 6" f/8 mirror to build a telescope from scratch since I realized I have all of the other parts to make one except the primary, and the one I bought was a great deal. I hope I didn't extend the cloudy streak, but at this point it really didn't seem to matter.

However, as a means of appeasing the cloud gods, I am giving away a red Tasco reflector I fixed up to a friend who has a really bad 60mm refractor. He enjoys astronomy a lot but has some medical bills he's paying off, so I thought I'd give him a scope that I wasn't really using anyway. I fixed it up and it works really well; I know he'll get good use out of it.

So what have you bought during this cloudy / can't-observe-anyway summer? 

Edited by magic612, 12 August 2014 - 10:40 PM.

• cwilson and rnc39560 like this

#2 rnc39560

rnc39560

Surveyor 1

• Loc: MS coast

Posted 12 August 2014 - 11:09 PM

Sounds good Dave. Keep the videos rolling guy! And post pics! 

#3 cwilson

cwilson

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: SW Oklahoma

Posted 13 August 2014 - 12:19 AM

It's been cloudly here as well, even though we usually have a lot of good clear weather by this point in the summer.

I haven't bought anything yet, but like you I did give someone a scope and mount, but even that didn't seem to appease the cloud gods.

#4 Billytk

Billytk

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Geneva, Fl.

Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:44 AM

I think I can forgive you for a couple of extra cloudy nights. Just keep posting those wonderful videos. I got some Protostar flocking for my 12" scope and have only used it once science then. Seems like the skis will never clear. It's been so soupy here in Florida. Can't wait to start observing and imaging again.

#5 seawolfe

seawolfe

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: N 47.11.23 W 122.20.18

Posted 13 August 2014 - 04:08 AM

Thanks Dave..... :getem:  We have RAIN now!  :ohmy:

Well....it'll help put out the fires.... oh wait, that's them thunderstorms we're talking about....lightning, meaning MORE fires! :nonono:

Maybe the rain will put them out anyway... :praying:

But...keep up the good work with Eyes On The Sky! :salute:

#6 havasman

havasman

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:13 AM

Kudos for giving tools to those that may use them! 

#7 herrointment

herrointment

Skylab

• Loc: North of Hwy. 64

Posted 16 August 2014 - 07:58 PM

No new purchases for about a year, little actual observing, some hacksaw action on a mount. My year in astronomy.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics