AP130 ... already?

• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#1 NHRob

NHRob

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 13 August 2014 - 07:35 PM

OMG,  I just got an email from AP that my name has come up for an AP130GT.  I need to respond soon.

Whatever should I do?

#2 Markab

Markab

Mariner 2

• Loc: Kansas City USA

Posted 13 August 2014 - 07:43 PM

Why is this an issue for seemingly so many people? You put your name on the list, buy it already!  If you don't like it, you'll be able to sell it and not lose a dime.

#3 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

80mm Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • Loc: NC

Posted 13 August 2014 - 07:47 PM

Now this is too funny, Rob, after all your debating about what to do with your 4" apos. Don't things like this just happen at the craziest times?  I guess the first question is whether you'll be able to comfortably afford it without going into debt after selling your 4" apos.  If you can do it comfortably, then sure, why not (assuming that you still want a 5" apo, that is)?  If you decide not to stick with the AP130, it's not like you'll lose money when you have to resell it.  But if it's going to mean going into debt, then if I were in your shoes, I'd pass.  Next question: do you have a mount capable of handling this scope?  If not, then there's more money you'll have to spend.

Sorry...didn't mean to be such a downer (just trying to provide a somewhat balanced perspective).  But if the timing is right, and you do decide to get it, then I think you'll be really pleased.  I'm really happy for you, Rob! :jump:

#4 AustinAstronomer

AustinAstronomer

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 13 August 2014 - 07:57 PM

PM sent.

#5 tomcody

tomcody

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Titusville, Florida

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:01 PM

OMG,  I just got an email from AP that my name has come up for an AP130GT.  I need to respond soon.

Whatever should I do?

Well your in for:

130 GT          $6400

rings                $200

dovetail           $100

Finder bracket  $95

finder base        $40

total  $6730

and brand new ones flip for 7 to 7.5 K  NIB

so you may break even but may not profit in this market.

and as Scott said, you need a mount that can carry it.

:scratchhead:

#6 NHRob

NHRob

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:17 PM

Yeah, I figured it would be another year or so before I got the call.  I'll be in at least $3K in additional debt after selling my 4" apos plus, I'll have to upgrade my mount.

Hmmm ....

Gotta think about this one.  I have a few days.

#7 tomcody

tomcody

Surveyor 1

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:22 PM

Rob,

When did you put your name on the list?

#8 Matt in Virginia

Matt in Virginia

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:24 PM

fwiw,

If you would like you can flip places with me in line.  I'm due later this year according to the girl who does the notifications.  That would give you a few more months to come up with the money OR decide if you want the scope.  Without losing your place.

I dunno about anyone else, however, I'm not investing $6730 on a possible "flip of $7 to $7.5K" largely IF you don't take it out of the box.  I have the sneaking suspicion that this is not going to be the model that has a tremendous return on investment as a collectable.  Short of enjoying it and using it that is... 

Granted my advice seems self centered so I dunno.  Maybe the most fair deal would be to buy it or let it go to the next guy in line.  That said the lady I spoke with said that they have scopes ready to ship, however, with soo many people having experienced changes of fortune or employment many can no longer afford the scope.  Though, she said, most seem to take the full two weeks to pass.

You know in retrospect they probably would not allow the "flip".  Though they may, who knows...

Regards, Matt 

Btw, when in 2007 did you sign up?

Edited by Matt in Virginia, 13 August 2014 - 09:11 PM.

#9 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Skylab

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:29 PM

Whatever should I do?

Well your in for:

130 GT          $6400

rings                $200

dovetail           $100

Finder bracket  $95

finder base        $40

total  $6730

and brand new ones flip for 7 to 7.5 K  NIB

so you may break even but may not profit in this market.

and as Scott said, you need a mount that can carry it.

:scratchhead:

There is one currently listed on Astromart at $7k with the same accessories that you listed.

fwiw, it took 9 years on the 130GT list before I got notified last year, but I decided to pass once I started thinking about the mount and such. 

#10 NHRob

NHRob

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:50 PM

Rob,

When did you put your name on the list?

I believe it was in 2001 sometime.  I have to check my records.

#11 Matt in Virginia

Matt in Virginia

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:17 PM

Rob,

You've been on the 130mm list almost as long as I've been on the Traveler list which is amazing.  I just don't understand how someone who was on the previous 130mm EDF is only now coming up for the 130 EDF GT...  You would seem to have come up long before the rest of us.  Weird.  Further after talking with the girls a couple of weeks ago she said they were well in the mid 2007 list...

Regards, Matt.

Edited by Matt in Virginia, 13 August 2014 - 09:19 PM.

#12 NHRob

NHRob

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:18 PM

I may have my date wrong.  I'll check tomorrow.  I have the records in my office at work

#13 APtelephoto

APtelephoto

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:41 PM

If you have found your optical niche with the 4" refractors you may find the extra size and heft of a 5" refractor more than you care to deal with. It is an "easy" 5" refractor to live with but it is without a doubt a commitment significantly beyond the 4" class both financially and physically.

After 5 years of owning my AP130EDFGT I am a drawn more than ever to find as many excuses as I can to take it out and put it to work!

:waytogo:

Best of luck to you in making your decision. 

Pete

#14 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:56 PM

Good god man you get the call you buy the scope.  It's that simple.

Tom Cody is right about the accessories.  You need the special dovetail so the dew shield doesn't hit it.  You need the special finder bracket that is designed to hop the AP rings--the standard AP bracket won't.  

I can't imagine why Doug passed because of the mount.  A g8 or g11 handles the GT130 quite nicely, and some of the other go-to mounts would as well.  You don't need to get a $6k Mach 1.  

Myself, I am taking a pass on the AP dovetail and sticking with a Losmandy 14 inch, I am going to get a couple of spacers made to lift the rings so that the dew shield doesn't hit the dovetail. The fact is that the OTA is so short your only plausible balance alternative is to shift the dovetail/OTA within your GEM saddle.  

It's an awesome instrument.  I miss the lightness of the FS128 but I'm not sorry I made the jump.  

Greg N

#15 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:57 PM

You might want to investigate finders worthy of the scope.  Your best bet is a used Takahashi 7x50.  There are of course less expensive alternatives.  Greg N

#16 Mark Costello

Mark Costello

Gemini

• Loc: Matthews, NC, USA

Posted 14 August 2014 - 07:54 AM

Hello, Rob.  My understanding is that the AP130GT weighs about 15 lb.  My AR127 weighs in at 15 lb, with rings but no finder, and rides on my Celestron Omni (CG4 with steel tube legs) well enough for me.  The damping time is limited to 4 seconds which is not a bother for me since my procedure is to observe single objects for at least 20 minutes and maybe up to an hour; there are no notable vibrations as I change eyepieces or focus.  So if you're going to use the AP130GT just for visual, you probably don't need a large expensive mount.  Also, this scope should do its own finding plenty well with a focal length of 819mm.  That's how I use my 825mm focal length AR127.  So if it were I, I would pass on the finder bracket.

That's about all I can say about your decision, since I have no experience with apochromatic refractors - except I wouldn't sneeze at a $3,000 debt....

All success in your decision...

#17 tomcody

tomcody

Surveyor 1

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:29 AM

Rob,

I waited 10 yrs for my AP130GT and shortly after getting it I incurred some large medical bills and needed to raise money to pay them. The AP130GT was the first item I reached for to sell, no hesitation, no regrets, I was not impressed with it when I got it and never miss it now. Its a nice scope with a finely figured lens but I have preferred the views through my four Takahashi's much more!

I am not trying to talk you out of buying it but rather saying that a FS128 at $3k, a used TOA130 at 4.5K or a used TEC 140 at 4.8K

( all about the going rate) may provide as much enjoyment and are available anytime in the want adds, so if money is a concern? there are alternatives. 

Rex

#18 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Skylab

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:40 AM

I can't imagine why Doug passed because of the mount.  A g8 or g11 handles the GT130 quite nicely, and some of the other go-to mounts would as well.  You don't need to get a $6k Mach 1.  

It wasn't just the mount. Once I did the math, the $9k or so for the scope, accessories and mount seemed pretty excessive for 5" of aperture. I mean, that was pretty much the price of a brand new fully loaded 14.5" Starmaster with Zambuto mirror, which I owned at the time. I am mainly a deep sky observer, and there's no way the AP would have shown me nearly what the Starmaster did. That's why I sold my previous AP 130 f/8.35. I've never regretted passing my slot on to the next person in line.

#19 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:03 AM

You know, that's the bad sideof being in the AP list- you feel like you are suddenly getting shaken down.  I suppose this was less prevalent when the wait wasn't so long where it was out of phase with your life by the time your name came up. 

So, I do suggest getting the scope- if nothing else to get it out of your system.  Plan for a C11 showing up with mounting.  A CGEM works beautifully- this doesn't have to be a $10k mount. 

Be be ready to use it at high magnification- the impressive thing about it is the size of the usable magnification range. 

I got got the Baader finder AP sells and it works well. There are other options, of course.  No finder isn't a very good one, though. 

-Rich

#20 tomcody

tomcody

Surveyor 1

Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:22 AM

Mark and Rich raise some good points about a mount

AP130GT                     = 17 lb

AP SB12 dovetail        =   2 lb   ( needed to clear the dew sheild)

AP rings                     =    2.5 lb

Maxbright diagonal     =      1 lb

large televue eyepiece =      1 lb

finder                           =      1 lb

Total    about      24.5  lb on the saddle

My Meade LXD650 carried this well, my GM8 can handle it also ( my FS128 is about 1.5 lb less with the same items) and either a Diskmount DM 4 or 6 can do well with this load. 

Rex

Edited by tomcody, 14 August 2014 - 09:23 AM.

#21 t.r.

t.r.

Aurora

• Loc: 1123,6536,5321

Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:32 AM

Rob, we discussed this long ago...you wanted to settle in with the 5" class apo for retirement just as I have. You CANNOT pass on this chance to buy it new. Contrary to popular opinion, when Roland is done or the GT model is, their price will go up and to get one later will be financial challenge to justify the price vs. performance. NOW is the time to strike. Also, contrary to popular opinion, there are numerous mounting options that are cheap and donot require the special plate. I used mine for six years with the lowly ASGT mount! It can be done my friend, you don't need a Mach 1 or a big GEM to do it, get that out of your mind. It has been mounted on a Gibraltar for crying out loud! My $600 ASGT mount worked wonderfully well with it, and the short Vixen plate didn't interfer with the dewshield at all.

Here is what I'll do....if you can't afford it now, I will purchase it from you after delivery, still in your name,  at MSRP and hang on to it unopened until you get your other scopes/finances square. I will do this as a hedge that if you don't want it later, I'll have a spare for a binoscope! I am serious...I feel so strongly that you can't pass on this opportunity, I'm willing to chance it with you because there is NO risk buying it. Put this offer into perspective...then you will know what you need to do. Don't pass on a new AP...you will regret it for the rest of your life...I know...I have done so (AP160)!!!

Edited by t.r., 14 August 2014 - 09:43 AM.

#22 MrGrytt

MrGrytt

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Upstate Cuomostan

Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:52 AM

I competely agree with t.r..  Several times I have even heard Thomas Back say, "NEVER pass on an AP scope".  It had nothing to do with him believing them to be any better than his LZOS optics but was simply due to the fact that you can't lose by doing it.  At least you will be able to make an informed decision on keeping it or selling it later.  It's like money in the bank.  Just a forced saving plan.  

Harvey 

#23 NHRob

NHRob

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:58 AM

Hi Tim,

You are a bad influence!   : )

Yeah, I once passed on a notification for the AP130 f/8.35 ... the last run.    Doh!!!

That would be a wonderful scope.

Anyway, I had planned on selling off our house and downsizing before hearing from AP.  We've actually had our house listed this year but, no offers yet.

#24 sedmondson

sedmondson

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Huntsville, AL

Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:16 AM

Whatever should I do?

I know the feeling. After such a long wait time, your life has changed. And you haven't been thinking about how you want a new 5" apo like when you signed up. I just had 1st light with my new 130GT (had to wait for clouds to clear) the other night. Works great on my GM8 (1 sec settling time), even my DM4 is ok (2.5 sec settling time). Its a nice scope, and I think I will be able to fit into my current lifestyle. If you can work it into your finances, go ahead and send in down payment. You'll have a few more weeks to "think about it." 

#25 Scott99

Scott99

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: New England

Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:24 AM

It's always great to get a new scope directly from Astro-Physics.  But this particular scope is probably the easiest AP scope to buy used - there are hundreds of both the current GT version and the older f/6 version out there, they show up on the used market frequently.   If the timing's not right ($$) to acquire it now, why not play with the 4 inchers for a while & upgrade later?

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics