• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#51 Matt in Virginia

Matt in Virginia

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 14 August 2014 - 07:01 PM

Btw, 

Failed to mention a bottle of wine is only a blessed bottle of wine.  Granted I love a bottle of Mouton Rothschild Bordeaux to wash down a truly superb rare steak but I go for the Mouton Cadet.  It's part of dinner not part of your retirement...:-)

Update on my listing date:

I checked my records and I was way off.

I actually got on the AP130GT list on April28, 2007.

ohmigawd ... my signup date is May 1, 2007. Is there hope ... Probably depends on how many people signed up at/right after NEAF 2007?

Looking at your list of gear, you seem PERFECTLY setup for the scope...

Regards, Matt.

Edited by Matt in Virginia, 14 August 2014 - 07:02 PM.

• tomcody likes this

#52 NHRob

NHRob

Aurora

• Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 14 August 2014 - 07:01 PM

Mad city,
Perhaps if I pass on the scope, it will go to you
???

#53 Matt in Virginia

Matt in Virginia

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 14 August 2014 - 07:20 PM

I also agree having owned the 130 and many 4" refractors from AP and Tak that there is a serious increase in commitment going from 4" to 5", in terms of mount.  The Traveler is so much more portable and easy to live with compared to the GT. The difference in light grasp is very noticeable between the two, but convenience is also worth something obviously. 

fwiw,

If AP still made the Traveler, which I've been on the list for since early 2000, I would not be in the market for the 130GT.  The Traveler was/is such an elegant scope.  I think, fwiw, that AP really did everyone a disservice for not continuing production.  Not to mention that I could pass on the "Gran Turismo" bit on the tube of the 130EDF.  It is an American scope...  Let's keep the italian restricted to the menu. :-)

It's like an AC Cobra that comes from the factory ONLY with hydraulics as an option.  Just a wee bit tacky...imho

Regards, Matt

#54 tomcody

tomcody

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Titusville, Florida

Posted 14 August 2014 - 07:55 PM

hydraulics  ? 

Are you referring to an automatic transmission ? or cable operated brakes?  :gramps:

Rex

#55 Matt in Virginia

Matt in Virginia

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:03 PM

hydraulics  ? 

Are you referring to an automatic transmission ? or cable operated brakes?  :gramps:

Rex

Rex,

Actually I was talking, kidding actually, about the addition of the hydraulic systems that the hispanic community uses to make their cars jump up and down.  Kinda kills the class inherent in a proper 289FIA...:-)

Regards, Matt.

Edited by Matt in Virginia, 14 August 2014 - 08:03 PM.

#56 madcity

madcity

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: WI, USA

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:18 PM

Mad city,
Perhaps if I pass on the scope, it will go to you
???

Very kind offer ... but I'd feel guilty if you later regretted the decision :gaah:

Patience ... the fate of the A-P list member ...

#57 SteveC

SteveC

Gemini

• Loc: Sunshine State & Ocean State

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:36 PM

Update on my listing date:

I checked my records and I was way off.

I actually got on the AP130GT list on April28, 2007.

ohmigawd ... my signup date is May 1, 2007. Is there hope ... Probably depends on how many people signed up at/right after NEAF 2007?

lol, I remember standing at the NEAF table staring at the sign up sheet with pen in hand. There weren't many names on it. I showed exceptional restraint,  don't you think?

#58 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 15 August 2014 - 12:20 AM

What you miss out on by passing on it is that lost ark moment when it shows up.  In my case, it was, "I'm going to need a bigger mount."

-Rich

#59 Traveler

Traveler

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 15 August 2014 - 01:25 AM

To me, the step up from a 4" to 5" is not enough. A 6" is a more logical step from a 4"-er. This logical is fully brand independent and maybe a way of answeringg thé question: do you want a 5", do you want an A-P or is the question do i want a 5" A-P?

Good luck!!

#60 t.r.

t.r.

Skylab

• Loc: 1123,6536,5321

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:31 AM

Rob, I think you can narrow it down to simply this...There is NO risk in buying the AP, the money is parked in an asset that will not loose value. The beauty is, you can actually use it and not loose anything, while gaining knowledge as to whether the scope is worth the money. If you don't purchase, you will never know or it will cost you more later more than likely. From our private discussions, I know this is where you wanted to be (a 5" apo on simple mount for easy use)...sometimes opportunity knocks when we aren't prepared for it. I just fear in as little as a year, when your financial situation (selling the house/relocating) has settled down you may realize that there never was an issue in getting the AP and if you passed on it now, it would be a deep regret. And contrary to other comments, you have had quite a few refractors over the years, you put your name on the AP list for a reason, more than for "wonderlust"...

Edited by t.r., 15 August 2014 - 06:33 AM.

#61 NHRob

NHRob

Aurora

Posted 15 August 2014 - 07:44 AM

Since this will be my only scope, I could splurge.   I've been buying used cars for awhile so maybe it's time to treat myself.

I decide today.

#62 madcity

madcity

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:26 AM

Since this will be my only scope, I could splurge.   I've been buying used cars for awhile so maybe it's time to treat myself.

I decide today.

From the cheap seats ... splurge!

But if you are used to buying used (I'm not) and can handle that kind of a transaction, then as others have pointed out, they do show up in the (a-hem!) "pre-owned" market. It all depends on your situation. My bet is this will be your last chance to get a brand-new one.

#63 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:32 AM

I have the iOptron MT Pro.  It's just fine for my 4" apos.

I am not so sure about a AP130GT.

Yep, you're right - you'd definitely need a new mount, too.

Regards,

Jim

#64 madcity

madcity

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 15 August 2014 - 10:07 AM

I have the iOptron MT Pro.  It's just fine for my 4" apos.

I am not so sure about a AP130GT.

Yep, you're right - you'd definitely need a new mount, too.

Regards,

Jim

iOptron claims a 33# payload weight. Is the issue that fully-loaded, the ap130 would be too close to that, or is the issue something else? I have been considering it as a simple mount.

#65 NHRob

NHRob

Aurora

Posted 15 August 2014 - 10:38 AM

The MT Pro could definitely handle the load.  The question is how much vibration  can you tolerate.

For best performance, you want to counterweight the OTA load.  Now, your total load is approaching 30lbs.

#66 Paul Hyndman

Paul Hyndman

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Connecticut Shoreline USA

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:04 AM

I decide today.

Back in the 1990's Mr. K's (Nissan Motors) words "Life is a journey... enjoy the ride", profoundly re-focused (pun) my attentions. Within moderation, we should treat ourselves along the way, for life IS the journey.

If you are interested in the scope and can swing it financially, you can buy and fly it without fear of losing any money if it isn't the right fit for you. Woulda', coulda', shoulda'! 

My two 2¢,

Paul

#67 Markab

Markab

Mariner 2

• Loc: Kansas City USA

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:23 AM

When I owned the GT, I actually had it on the TeleVue Gibraltar 5. Balance is always an issue with that mount, so I did not use 2" eyepieces, but it did reasonably well with 1.25" eyepieces even at medium-high power. Dampening time was about 2 sec, and from an aesthetic point of view, the Gibraltar is a much nicer looking mount than any of the other Alt-az options. However, even though the Gibraltar 5 was designed for a 5" scope (the NP-127), it does much better with 4" scopes...I find it is an excellent performer for my Traveler with perfect balance and dampening time of about 1 second.

#68 chrisastro8

chrisastro8

Vostok 1

• Loc: Texas

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:23 AM

I'm with t.r. on this in that there is no risk involved, and you get to experience a NEW scope in the 5" range you were contemplating on the takitis thread anyways.  The build quality of AP machining is a delight to use - using my AP160 last night i always find myself smiling at the machining and build quality.  I wish I bought a NEW AP but market forces just prevent that, so I have waited patiently like many others for it to be my turn.   Every thread I see on the AP130 puts me 1 month closer to finally owning a NEW AP and I'd say yes, and my time is now getting close as my kids are taller, hair thinner...

#69 Spacedout

Spacedout

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Annapolis, MD

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:52 AM

Had to throw this bit of wisdom in... from the Soprano's, Carmela to Tony (in bed);  "More is lost on indecision, than wrong decision".  Buy it. 

#70 mblack

mblack

Throw me a bone here

• Loc: Florida, USA.

Posted 15 August 2014 - 12:10 PM

Buy it. Should you Rob, for whatever the reason, decide to sell it at a later point you are out nothing.

#71 madcity

madcity

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 15 August 2014 - 01:44 PM

I decide today.

Have you splurged?

Or will you consider buying used (eg, later paying new car price for a used car...) :tonofbricks:

#72 SteveC

SteveC

Gemini

• Loc: Sunshine State & Ocean State

Posted 15 August 2014 - 04:33 PM

I decide today.

Good luck!!!

When will it be arriving?

#73 JimP

JimP

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: South Carolina

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:15 PM

What I like so much about this thread is that we are talking about an AP 130 GT that will be used!!

So many who get the AP 130  are afraid to use it as they might put a scratch on the tube and would not be able to sell. 

I remember reading an ad for the sale of an AP 130 GT and the seller was apologizing for having used the scope two times! 

As far as buying a "used" one, from what I can see, most used ones for sale have either been used only a couple times or never and are brand new.

Get the scope and use it is my recommendation.

Edited by JimP, 15 August 2014 - 06:16 PM.

#74 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:27 PM

What I like so much about this thread is that we are talking about an AP 130 GT that will be used!!

So many who get the AP 130  are afraid to use it as they might put a scratch on the tube and would not be able to sell. 

I remember reading an ad for the sale of an AP 130 GT and the seller was apologizing for having used the scope two times! 

As far as buying a "used" one, from what I can see, most used ones for sale have either been used only a couple times or never and are brand new.

Get the scope and use it is my recommendation.

Mine will get a lot of use no ifs ands or buts.  However, it will be rotated with the C14 and the Newtonian, so it won't be *exclusively* used.  I'm happy to say that at some point I got over worrying about scratches and dings.  I take precautions but I try to "keep looking up" rather than to keep looking down at the ding on the scope.  GN

#75 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:32 PM

p.s.  It didn't take me long to say "yes" to AP.  But what seals the deal is I turn 60 this year.  I'm running out of decades.  I've never owned a new car, so that's also on my bucket list.  GN

Have you no shame!!

No, we're not going to pool resources and buy you a new car for your 60th. Can you believe this guy and his not so subtle "hints"?

Well you could pool your resources and buy me a whole bunch o' lottery tickets!  GN

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics