Which tablet for Sky Safari?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#26 ad701xx

ad701xx

Apollo

• Loc: Oregon, USA

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:12 PM

Nexus 7 I think it is going to be then.  My iPhone has a flip cover which I close when I slip the phone in my pocket. That way I don't accidently scroll the map or change anything before I next get it out.  Is that what Nexus 7 users do?

Yes, the cover I use does that. This is the one I got:

http://smile.amazon....J3VOP32E2&psc=1

#27 jimsmith

jimsmith

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Herefordshire, UK

Posted 23 August 2014 - 06:21 AM

Nexus 7 I think it is going to be then.  My iPhone has a flip cover which I close when I slip the phone in my pocket. That way I don't accidently scroll the map or change anything before I next get it out.  Is that what Nexus 7 users do?

Yes, the cover I use does that. This is the one I got:

http://smile.amazon....J3VOP32E2&psc=1

I see that the cover has the sleep/wake function. Do you set "Security = None" to prevent the lock screen coming up when you open the cover and wake it from its slumbers?

Edited by jimsmith, 23 August 2014 - 08:10 AM.

#28 ad701xx

ad701xx

Apollo

• Loc: Oregon, USA

Posted 24 August 2014 - 03:50 PM

No, I just leave the security on and swipe my gesture after I open it. You can do it either way. Both work fine.

#29 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:04 AM

I am using Sky Safari 4 Pro on a couple of tablets, primarily the Nexus 7 (2013)...  It does everything I want to do with ease..  I am not quite sure what Rod is thinking.. 

Jon

Me neither

Eric

I am thinking I don't want to carry a router around with me just to send the scope on gotos. But that's just me. :lol:

Edited by rmollise, 29 August 2014 - 09:05 AM.

#30 jimsmith

jimsmith

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:05 AM

I now have my Nexus 7 loaded up with SkySafari 4 Pro. It looks quite good so far. With Security set to None, I can turn it off (shutting my eyes first because there is a white flash) and on, and it returns directly to the Sky Safari screen.  What does seem to be an issue though is the Settings > Appearance > Screen Brightness option is missing. Does anybody know if that is an IOS feature only?  I also notice that the overall system brightness does not seem to affect the Sky Safari screen brightness.  Surely there is a way of changing the screen brightness of Android Sky Safari?

#31 S.Boerner

S.Boerner

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Eastern Missouri

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:19 AM

There's a button on the bottom right call Night.  It turns the screen red and seems to dim the display a bit.   I also use a free app called "Screen Adjuster"  It can make the screen on my Nexus 7 really dim and or red.

#32 jimsmith

jimsmith

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:51 AM

I'd forgotten about the free screen dimming apps.  I'll give some of them a try.

#33 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Simulation Curriculum

• Vendors
  • Loc: Longmont, CO, USA

Posted 29 August 2014 - 10:19 AM

What does seem to be an issue though is the Settings > Appearance > Screen Brightness option is missing. Does anybody know if that is an IOS feature only?

Yes, that is an iOS only feature.  The Android OS is sufficiently flexible that this was deemed not necessary.  You are maybe one of 3 people that have commented on its absence.  On iOS it is not really possible for apps to change the screen brightness.  We implemented a hack wherein we put a translucent black layer above the chart, adjusting the degree of translucency to affect brightness.  I really didn't want to propagate the hack to Android.

I am surprised by your comment that the Android screen brightness feature doesn't affect the SkySafari chart.  It certainly should.

#34 jimsmith

jimsmith

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 29 August 2014 - 10:32 AM

I am surprised by your comment that the Android screen brightness feature doesn't affect the SkySafari chart.  It certainly should.

I tried again...the Android system brightness control works just fine in "normal/day" mode, but not in "night" mode.

The free app "Screen Filter" works a treat though.

#35 tjay

tjay

Surveyor 1

• Loc: just outside of Toronto

Posted 29 August 2014 - 10:59 AM

I am using Sky Safari 4 Pro on a couple of tablets, primarily the Nexus 7 (2013)...  It does everything I want to do with ease..  I am not quite sure what Rod is thinking.. 

Jon

Me neither

Eric

I am thinking I don't want to carry a router around with me just to send the scope on gotos. But that's just me. :lol:

So perhaps the answer should be "Work great the bluetooth, requires a router or a custom kernal if you are using a wifi to connect to your scopei".

#36 btschumy

btschumy

• Vendors

Posted 29 August 2014 - 11:53 AM

I tried again...the Android system brightness control works just fine in "normal/day" mode, but not in "night" mode.

I found the problem.  There where two pieces of code that were trying to adjust the screen brightness in night vision.  One piece (the correct piece) was setting it to 25% brightness if the system setting was above that.  The second (incorrect) piece of code was always setting it to 25% whenever in night vision.  I have removed the second piece.   This fix will be in the next update.  Thanks for pointing the problem out.

#37 jimsmith

jimsmith

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 31 August 2014 - 08:47 AM

Even with the Nexus 7 set to minimum brightness, the tablet's screen still puts out a faint glow that hurts night vision.  I have to use a thin layer of red cellophane (used to wrap flowers in from Walmart) and a couple of rubber bands to dim things down to the proper level (even with Sky Safari Pro set to night mode).   The touch screen still works just fine with the film in-place.  Clear skies to you.

I had ignored/overlooked this comment, but it's true! My iPhone screen background is quite black, but the Nexus 7 has a faint blue/grey glow. A sheet of red cellophane has cured that problem though. It's now all working fine. :) I will also carry on using the Sreen Filter App until the Sky Safari folks fix their code.

#38 bgi

bgi

Ranger 4

• Loc: Ga

Posted 31 August 2014 - 08:55 PM

FWIW, I compared the encoder/magnetometer accuracy and smoothness on the Gen 1 Nexus 7 and Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.  The Nexus 7 was so much better!  There was no contest.  I gave the Samsung to my wife.  It runs the same OS as her phone.  She loves it.

No need to buy new.  Found both like-new on ebay for about $65 shipped.  Going to rig the Nexus up to my Zhumell 10.  I just can't get used to the finder scope on that thing.  I'm used to having a Telrad up high like on my big dob.

Now to find some flower-wrapping cellophane.  Thanks for the tip!

#39 audioaficionado

audioaficionado

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Medford, Orygun, USA

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:11 PM

I'm running v4 on my Samsung S5 phone with a 5.1" screen. I wish I had a larger screen, but it works great for me as an atlas and data base.

#40 jimsmith

jimsmith

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 25 October 2014 - 06:33 AM

I found the problem.  There where two pieces of code that were trying to adjust the screen brightness in night vision.  One piece (the correct piece) was setting it to 25% brightness if the system setting was above that.  The second (incorrect) piece of code was always setting it to 25% whenever in night vision.  I have removed the second piece.   This fix will be in the next update.  Thanks for pointing the problem out.

System brightness now works fine in night vision mode. Thanks.  Jim

• btschumy likes this

#41 btschumy

btschumy

• Vendors

Posted 25 October 2014 - 08:52 AM

Glad to hear the 4.2.2 update fixed this.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics