CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade LX850 with Astro Tech 16" Carbon Truss RC

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JPGriffin

JPGriffin

Mariner 2

• Loc: Melbourne, FL

Posted 14 August 2014 - 11:05 AM

I finally mounted this beast of a telescope on the LX850.  Despite having 3 26# counterweights (scope weight = 77#), I couldn't properly balance the mount.  Has anyone else mounted such a heavy load on this mount and, if so, how did you balance it?  I have PM'ed SpacetravelerX since he seems to have a lot of experience with this mount.  

Once we get out of the rainy season here in Florida I am looking forward to getting some good observing/imaging time with this monster telescope!

Attached Files

#2 galaxy_jason

galaxy_jason

Vendor

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 14 August 2014 - 02:11 PM

My 14" with CCD camera, fliter wheel and focuser requires 3x26 plus 1x22

#3 JPGriffin

JPGriffin

Mariner 2

• Loc: Melbourne, FL

Posted 14 August 2014 - 11:50 PM

Thanks for the reply, galaxyjason.  Seems like I may need to order another 26 pound weight and maybe a 10 for good measure.

#4 Awesomelenny

Awesomelenny

Skylab

• Loc: Long: 81.42 W Lat: 41.21 N

Posted 15 August 2014 - 02:30 PM

OMG don't ruin this mount by not balancing this properly or overloading it! This is such a superb mount especially when used with the StarLock.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics