• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 monkey10120

monkey10120

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: omaha

Posted 14 August 2014 - 01:55 PM

I think this is the right place to put this topic  :confused: But it is electronics assisting me :p

I recently got my Atlas and ran into a few hand controller issues and in the mean time I have been tinkering with EQMOD. I read through and watch most of the guides and its been a lot to cram in in the last few hours. But after installing all the drivers and programs, I cannot get EQMOD to see my mount directly since I am by passing the controller. 

Now even though they have a lot of guides, they do not have a lot on setup. This is my USB to serial adapter that I have had for a while http://www.radioshac...ductId=24192246

I have been using this cable for a while now and I know it works because I re-flashed my controller with it before and after trying EQMOD just to make sure its not the cable. So basically my setup goes from my mount to my USB-Serial cable to my windows 8 machine. Is there something I am missing? Does there need to be an extra part in between?

My pc detects my mount and assigns it to COM 4 and when I open EQMOD drivers and choose auto find, it will go directly to COM 4, sit there, then go to COM 16 and say not found. So EQMOD does know its there but just refuses to connect to it. I have even tinkered around with speeds and setting in device manager but no avail. 

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated because I have a $1500 statue in my living room until I get a replacement or can fix my controller.....This thing is so beastly that I would not even mind it as decor haha.

#2 David B in NM

David B in NM

Ranger 4

Posted 14 August 2014 - 02:01 PM

You'd be better off asking your question in the Mounts Forum.  A link is provided below.  Good luck!

http://www.cloudynig...orum/66-mounts/

David B in NM

#3 monkey10120

monkey10120

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: omaha

Posted 14 August 2014 - 02:05 PM

I thought that at first but was not sure. Just did not want to go thread happy in a section lol. If a mod could move this or even delete this thread I could start it up in the mounts section. 

Thanks David

#4 David B in NM

David B in NM

Ranger 4

Posted 14 August 2014 - 02:43 PM

No problem.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to rephrase the purpose of this forum (note to CN Administrators).

Currently it states:  A meeting place for people that use or wish to discuss Electronically Assisted Astronomy and the equipment used to achieve these goals.

Perhaps it would be better if we add a few more words to the purpose statement (suggestion below)

A meeting place for people that use or wish to discuss Electronically Assisted Astronomy methods for viewing or observing astronomical targets and the equipment used to achieve these goals.

I do agree the current purpose statement can be misinterpreted and leaves the door open to any form of electronic equipment used to assist anyone in astronomy as a whole.

David B in NM

Edited by David B in NM, 14 August 2014 - 03:02 PM.

#5 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:35 PM

It's a post better asked in mount subforum.
Let me answer it:
The serial port in the mount side is using 5V TTL signal level, while the handbox' serial port is in RS232 level. They are incompatible with each other.

BTW, your dongle is the RS232 type.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics