Photo

Are FPV tablets the answer to wireless video monitoring?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Charles Copeland

Charles Copeland

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:02 PM

FPV means "First Person Video" and is used for video transmission from personal drones.

I've been trying to figure out how to go totally wireless with astro video astronomy.  Orion has the WiFi RS232 devices for control, but wireless video seems to lacking options.  I stumbled onto the new 5.8gig FPV 7" tablets used for drones.  Seems the price is very low, but not sure about the video quality.  Would this work with acceptable quality for astro video?

You can see many on ebay if you search for "5.8G FPV Monitor". 

A 5.8gig wireless video transmitter and FPV 7" tablet with built in receiver are as little as $150.

The transmitter takes composite video input and so can be used with any astro video camera.

Is this the best solution?  Is anybody using these for astronomy?  Is there a better WiFi solution at this price?

Ideally it would be great if there were a  WiFi box that transmitted several video and control (rs232) channels, but have found none.

Edited by Charles Copeland, 14 August 2014 - 06:05 PM.

#2 guyinthesky

guyinthesky

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: western ma.

Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:51 PM

hi, i use an ordinary inexpensive wireless video sender, it works well. there are lots of them on ebay. i did a test with the sender vs a cord and there was only slight degradation with the $39 video sender. i am not sure how far away you will be, some transmit a few hundred feet.

#3 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:03 PM

Over the years, people tried on various forms of wireless video transmitters. About 10 out of 10, the cheaper ones be a 2.4 or 5.8GHz type, require an operator's license from FCC.
In another word, these are not gold mines.

Low power ones may be "below the radar". High power ones (marketed as long distance) are bad idea.

Edited by ccs_hello, 14 August 2014 - 10:39 PM.

• derangedhermit likes this

#4 Charles Copeland

Charles Copeland

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:44 PM

I like the idea of having a receiver built into a 7" tablet, but they are paired with high powered transmitters for drones that require a license.  

Perhaps that tablet could be paired with a low powered 25mw 5.8g "video sender" transmitter guyinthesky mentioned?  

Edited by Charles Copeland, 15 August 2014 - 11:45 PM.

#5 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 August 2014 - 04:47 AM

They are not "tablets" as people would have called. They are 7" LCD monitors with built in AM wide band receiver(s).

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics