• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Philler

Philler

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kansas, USA

Posted 14 August 2014 - 07:42 PM

I have a well used, old black, field edition SA 2000 that I had laminated in the early '90s. It shows some delamination on the borders and edges of a few of the charts. I only use the SA charts to start my search for general orientation and then go to my Uranometria copies. The delamination so far hasn't affected my using the the SA 2000 and everything is readable.

But I was wondering if the old lamination could be safely removed and could be re laminated? Or, would it just be better and cheaper to just buy another laminated SA 2000 new or used?

#2 beatlejuice

beatlejuice

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Hamilton, ON,Canada

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:42 PM

I have the same set from 1990,self-laminated and starting to come undun.  Even so, they are still quite usable but I decided to get the newer edition a couple of years ago because it has almost twice as many stars and I also wanted to try the desk edition.  It turned out to be a good decision except that along came Skysafari and my Nexus 7 tablet.  It's sad to say that neither edition gets used anymore.

Eric

#3 beatlejuice

beatlejuice

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Hamilton, ON,Canada

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:43 PM

Don't know how to cancel the double post

Edited by beatlejuice, 14 August 2014 - 08:55 PM.

#4 KidOrion

KidOrion

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Carbondale, IL

Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:13 PM

I have a well used, old black, field edition SA 2000 that I had laminated in the early '90s. It shows some delamination on the borders and edges of a few of the charts. I only use the SA charts to start my search for general orientation and then go to my Uranometria copies. The delamination so far hasn't affected my using the the SA 2000 and everything is readable.

But I was wondering if the old lamination could be safely removed and could be re laminated? Or, would it just be better and cheaper to just buy another laminated SA 2000 new or used?

I would suspect that removing the lamination would end up peeling apart the layers of paper in the charts.

If it's a thin polypro or mylar laminate, it might be possible to put another layer on top of it.  Of course, this would affect the transparency a bit, and you'd have to keep the tension adjusted well (slightly loose, I suspect) so the sheets don't curl up.

You could always run a strip of tape along the edges of all of the charts and fold it over.

#5 Philler

Philler

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kansas, USA

Posted 15 August 2014 - 02:02 AM

That's exactly what I did years ago:  I used some Scotch tape around the edges of the charts that showed signs of the laminating separating at the border areas and It has held up fairly well to this day. They are all still readable and I think I will just keep using them rather than taking a chance on someone trying to remove the lamination and relaminating them and then end up getting ruined in the process. I can always buy a new laminated SA 2000 if my old set becomes no longer usable.  Thanks for the advise.

Edited by Philler, 15 August 2014 - 02:07 AM.

#6 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:12 PM

Maybe get some clear packing tape. I have used it when mending printed products. You can cut it to fit the edges, fold it over and protect the atlas.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics