Photo

Multiple instances of the same ASCOM scope driver?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Lord Beowulf

Lord Beowulf

Apollo

• Loc: Cedar Park, TX

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:58 PM

So I'm working on getting my observatory automated and need to be able to run multiple scopes from the same computer.  Is there an easy way to get multiple instances of an ASCOM driver (the Celestron unified driver to be specific) configured so that I can automate more than one scope mount?  I was looking at the possibility of duplicating a profile in the profile manager, but there doesn't seem to be a way to do that easily, which makes me wonder if it's possible.  Note I know you can go the other way and have multiple packages talk to the same scope, but that's NOT what I'm looking for.

Thanks,

Beo

#2 LoveChina61

LoveChina61

Viking 1

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:32 PM

you might try contacting Chris Rowland or another staff person in the Support area of this following ASCOM site   http://ascom-standar.../HallOfFame.htm

Right beside Chris's name it mentions that he worked on developing the Celestron unified driver and multiple instance devices.

Mike

#3 LoveChina61

LoveChina61

Viking 1

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:46 PM

I wonder if you could create multiple instances of POTH? 

Another person was facing a similar dilemma in this link. https://groups.yahoo...ns/topics/18117

#4 GJJim

GJJim

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Western CO

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:38 PM

I think the problem is going to be the machine's USB bus and the way Windows assigns ports. Short of a reboot, there seems to be no graceful way to handover control between drivers. That is my experience in XP and W7, perhaps W8 has improved on this.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics