Nexstar8 GPS handcontrol display problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jeffmac

jeffmac

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:30 PM

I have a Nexstar8 GPS and the data does not show on my handcontrol. The display is backlit but with no data displayed when powered up. The handcontrol works fine, however, as long as it is plugged into one of the aux ports. So the handcontrol is getting juice when it is plugged into the side port on the arm, evidenced by the backlit display but no data. Anyone else had this problem? I checked Swanson's Nexstar site but I did not see this particular issue addressed.

Thanks,

Jeff

#2 Digital Don

Digital Don

Vanguard

• Loc: Manteno, IL

Posted 14 August 2014 - 11:47 PM

Hi Jeff,

Are you saying the display is visible when the hand control is plugged into an Aux port?  That might indicate an issue with the 'normal' socket.

However, if the display is not visible when connected to any port, you may want to disassemble the unit and try reseating the ribbon cable that connects the display to the board.

Don

#3 jeffmac

jeffmac

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 15 August 2014 - 10:39 AM

When plugged into the aux port, everything is normal. The LED/LCD characters are visible. When plugged into the fork arm port, the controller is lit up but no characters. The ribbon cable in the controller must be fine. Swanson addresses a fix for that. The controller is communicating with the motors in aux port mode. All I can figure is that maybe a communication pin in the socket on the fork arm must be bent or something. FWIW, the form arm configuration used to work fine.

Edited by jeffmac, 15 August 2014 - 10:41 AM.

#4 Tel

Tel

Cosmos

• Loc: Wallingford England

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:21 AM

HI Jeff,

If  this is the case and the mount arm connection appears to be the culprit as the above suggests, perhaps try a potentially easy fix initially by means of a squirt of electrical contact cleaner on both the HC's cord end and that of the recipient receiver, (plug-in), on the mount arm ? :idea:

Best regards,

Tel

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics