Photo

center star in Ring Nebula

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#26 areyoukiddingme

areyoukiddingme

Viking 1

Posted 19 August 2014 - 02:28 PM

Cool thread. I gave this a go with my 12.5 the other night and failed. Alas, the seeing wasn't so great, but the night before was excellent. I will try again! It will be cool to see a white dwarf, even if it takes years.

btw. in case you haven't come across this before, 'Deep sky videos' are doing the Messier catalogue. Here's M57: https://www.youtube....h?v=_TovLkVHfZE

• Mike Phillips likes this

#27 Mike Phillips

Mike Phillips

Soyuz

• Loc: Swift Creek, NC - 35.682 N, 78.743°W

Posted 19 August 2014 - 03:33 PM

I've imaged M57 a few times and only glanced at it in low mag.  Now I want to try more visual.  I've got a good 14" f/4.5 and a new found motivation.  Thanks!

• BrettG likes this

#28 Achernar

Achernar

Cosmos

• Loc: Mobile, Alabama, USA

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:01 PM

I've looked for it many times with a 10 and a 15-inch Dob without success, high magnifications and very steady seeing are the key to seeing the central star. I have however seen hints of the features shown in photos, such as the long ends being fainter than the rest of the nebula, and the very evident nebulosity that is present in the central hole. There was a couple of times where I did think I might have seen the central star glimmering at me through the 15-inch, but turbulence was making it impossible to be sure. There's no doubt that under the right conditions, a 10-inch can show it.

Taras

#29 Mike B

Mike B

Starstruck

• Loc: shake, rattle, & roll, CA

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:17 PM

There was a couple of times where I did think I might have seen the central star glimmering at me through the 15-inch, but turbulence was making it impossible to be sure.

From the sounds of that, you were right on the threshold of glimpsing it! :waytogo:

#30 areyoukiddingme

areyoukiddingme

Viking 1

Posted 20 August 2014 - 02:59 AM

Bah. Tried again tonight, this time with my 11 SCT. Failed. The seeing was rather good, but I didn't notice the 95% humidity. Dewed over and had to throw the towel. Thursday I shall try again!

#31 maugi88

maugi88

Postasaurusrex

• -----
  • Loc: SE MN

Posted 20 August 2014 - 04:52 PM

Saw it thru a 12" dob and 6mm ethos in south central MN. Just for a tenth of a second and averted vision. Blue skies my host said. It was very exciting. You have to look for a long time and wait for that glimpse thru the turbulence.

#32 schang

schang

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: columbia, sc

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:03 PM

Saw it thru a 12" dob and 6mm ethos in south central MN. Just for a tenth of a second and averted vision. Blue skies my host said. It was very exciting. You have to look for a long time and wait for that glimpse thru the turbulence.

Congrats... Patience and luck(weather permitting) are the key for this elusive star  :cool:  

#33 blb

blb

Skylab

• -----
  • Loc: Piedmont NC

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:54 AM

Yes you can see the central star in a 10-inch telescope. I have seen it several times now with my Orion xt10i dob at 300x. A good dark night with very steady seeing is required and it still blinks in and out of view.

The 15.2 mag. central star is hard to see because of the contrast with the nebula. It seems that if I can not see the mag. 15.7 star beside the nebula, I will never see the central star, so that is what I look for as a test of weather the central is going to be visible.

#34 maugi88

maugi88

Postasaurusrex

• -----
  • Loc: SE MN

Posted 22 August 2014 - 03:17 PM

Congrats... Patience and luck(weather permitting) are the key for this elusive star  :cool:  

Thanks, it was one of many firsts that night. Thanks to my host Ken , a fellow CNer, who is a very knowledgeable and adept star hopper.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics