Photo

Baja California dark sky site (black level)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mikewirths

mikewirths

Vendor-Baja Dark Skies

• Vendors
  • Loc: San Pedro Martir Mexico

Posted 15 August 2014 - 01:20 PM

Hi Everyone,

Its been a while since posting here but we have a new website and some new additions to our facility here in the Sierra De San Pedro Martir. Our sierra is about a 7 hour drive south of San Diego, we have black level skies at 5000' elevation. My main observatory houses 2 Starmaster dobs (an 18" with Zambuto primary and an F4.0 Intermountain optics 30"), I have a concrete pad beside the main observatory to give people more places to setup should they bring thier own scopes along with a new 11'X11' solar observatory which houses an excellent Lunt 152mm solar scope. The daytime seeing here can be quite spectacular!

Please check out our re-vamped website and don't let coming to Baja California scare you it s really a very relaxed beautiful place full of attractions like great wine country and an incredible culinary scene that far outdoes anything we have found in SoCal!

http://bajadarkskies.com/

cheers

Mike

#2 Captndon

Captndon

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Graham, WA.

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:54 PM

Enjoyed your website, thx

#3 MEE

MEE

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 16 August 2014 - 11:02 AM

Nice website, and it looks like a great location. I do have a question, though: if the emphasis of your site is on dark skies, then why is the opening image one of the moon? In fact, I can't see any pictures in your gallery showing wide angle views of the Milky Way and/or zodiacal light. These are the things that people would come to your location to see.

#4 mikewirths

mikewirths

Vendor-Baja Dark Skies

• Vendors
  • Loc: San Pedro Martir Mexico

Posted 16 August 2014 - 11:43 AM

Thanks guys. Mee, its a fair observation, but I'm a lunar/planetary imager not a deep sky imager. Its on our to do list, I just got a mount where I could do piggyback milky way shots. But all you have to do is look where our location is on the light pollution section of the clear sky chart!

#5 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:38 PM

Thanks for this post. I had no idea that driving and staying in Baja California was safe.

#6 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:52 PM

Thanks for this post. I had no idea that driving and staying in Baja California was safe.

Por tu?  Not so much.  Por mi?  Si, es bueno.  :lol:

- Jim

#7 Kavenga

Kavenga

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: SF Bay Area, CA

Posted 21 August 2014 - 01:20 AM

Some of my darkest skies have been in remote areas of Mexico.  We camped at Bahia de Los Angles about 10 years ago.  The town generator would shut down at 10PM :cool: and there were no other towns of any size within hundreds of miles.  I've seen some great dark skies down on the Pacific Coast of Oaxaca as well.  

Mexico can be safe if done right.  I have driven in Baja many times; and, traveled extensively on the Mainland via buses over the years.  It is much like the USA in terms of diversity of landscape, culture, and crime.  It has the highest volcano in North America @ 18,491', the oldest university on the continent, jungles, deserts, oak savannah, pine forests, big metropolitan cities, small villages, etc.. etc..  

The big cities there are much like big cities here. Good and bad neighborhoods.  There are good and bad states, and areas to travel as well.  Keep out of the bad areas, don't associate with bad people, and don't wander around drunk at night and you will be fine.  The old saying there goes, "Good roads bad people, bad roads good people."

I've driven though the Sierra de Juarez - the range just north of Sierra de San Pedro Martir.  It was nice country with some old gold mining towns amongst the pine forests.  The roads are dirt/gravel at best and choose your own adventure at other times.  My Subaru Forrester did well down there; but, a 4x4 truck would do better.  You need a tow strap, air compressor, shovel, tire patch kit, etc.. and know how to get your truck unstuck.  

Traveling in Mexico is definitely an adventure; but, I've yet to be robbed, shot at, or had a gun pulled on me in Mexico.  (All three of those things have happened to me in the USA though!)   

BTW - I love the Baja wines.  The L.A. Cetto Nebbiolo is very good for being a more mass produced wine you can find in the stores down there.  There are plenty of other/better boutique wineries around.  The wine country area is just east of Ensenada.  

Mike, I have put your posada on my list of places to visit when/if I travel down there next.  I have seen your site before.  Anyone interested in further research/travel might check out the Baja Nomads forums.  A lot of ex-pats on there and it was pretty active when I lived in that neck of the woods.  Its a good way to get a good feel on what is going on and where.  

#8 WesC

WesC

Vanguard

• Loc: La Crescenta, CA

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:03 PM

I have a good friend who owns a beach house south of San Felipe in a Black Zone... :bigshock:  He's been pestering me to head down there with him some time. Once I get a decent CCD camera and some imaging chops I plan to make the trip.

#9 swalker

swalker

Imaging Editor - Sky & Telescope

• Loc: 42.9225°N, 71.2242°W

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:03 AM

Looks nice!

I hope to someday come stay there.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics