Photo

Your Longest Observing Run.... that is observing every clear night.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 vsteblina

vsteblina

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Wenatchee, Washington

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:41 AM

Here in Washington state we are entering our prime observing season.  

So what is your longest observing run?  That is what is the longest run of observing night after night after night?

I have a observatory and back sometime in the 1990's in the latter part of August I decided to observe EVERY night that it was clear, even if it was for only one hour.  I kept track and it was 33 nights in a row before the clouds finally rolled in and ended the marathon!!  I was observing variables at that time so it was fun to have a list that I kept track of CV night after night.  Caught SS CYG going up and coming down.

The last decade August and September have brought smoke from forest fires or clouds crossing over from western Washington.   Statistically, we should be due for another run of extended clear skies!!!

So anybody else that has tried keeping track of extended observing streaks??

#2 beatlejuice

beatlejuice

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Hamilton, ON,Canada

Posted 16 August 2014 - 02:58 PM

Pretty easy to keep track of around here.  Last July there were 5 clear nights in a row around the new moon and I packed up my gear and drove to a local site each night.  It was a very rare occurrence and I was just happy to have been able to take advantage of it.

Eric

#3 ggalilei

ggalilei

Apollo

• Loc: Kentucky

Posted 16 August 2014 - 04:46 PM

In 2010, my first year of observing from my current location, I had about 15 days straight of clear skies and I used them all, even if I was working at the time and had to get up at 5:30 every morning. I was soooo sleepy but - having just moved from a bad location for observing- didn't want to waste any day from my new, dark location. I confess I was relieved when the clouds finally showed up.

Edited by ggalilei, 16 August 2014 - 04:48 PM.

#4 sparkyht

sparkyht

Vostok 1

• Loc: 43N 89W

Posted 17 August 2014 - 06:34 AM

I'm tracking cloud observing streaks. The last time (and longest) I was out was in late May, from sundown to sunrise. 

• mdowns likes this

#5 mnev326

mnev326

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 17 August 2014 - 09:21 AM

Here in New Jersey observing streaks are measured in hours not days.  

Mark

#6 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 17 August 2014 - 11:03 AM

Same here, most days in a row: 1 (don't ever remember going out multiple days in a row, not even at home)

most hours: about 6 (does not include the two hour drive).

#7 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:21 PM

Good question. Living in South Texas, my main problem is not how many consecutive nights I can view, rather that my personal schedule is so booked that I can't get out more than once or twice a week. Then, too often, my free night is clouded over, or my wife gets amorous.  :grin:

#8 vsteblina

vsteblina

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Wenatchee, Washington

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:41 AM

The nice thing about an observing streak is that everything gets organized and running for observing.  Every time I start observing after a long spell it almost takes a night to get everything functional and I have an observatory!  

It was fun observing for all those nights, but I was ready for it to end.  If you do it day after day it starts taking on the appearance of a job!!

#9 Jon_Doh

Jon_Doh

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: On a receiver's back

Posted 21 August 2014 - 03:39 PM

What's a clear night?  I've heard of them, but they're an endangered species around these parts.

#10 StarmanDan

StarmanDan

Soyuz

• Loc: Deep in the heart of Texas

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:11 PM

My personal best was 21 consecutive days. I was doing science work for the University of Delaware taking photometry of white dwarf stars. While I was exhausted afterwards,  it was very rewarding and I did some personal observing too once everything in the Observatory was up and running. 

#11 galexand

galexand

Ranger 4

• Loc: Bloomington Indiana

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:29 AM

I've observed every clear night in August so far.

:tonofbricks:

#12 SpaceConqueror3

SpaceConqueror3

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Phinney Ridge, Seattle, WA

Posted 27 August 2014 - 01:09 AM

Absolutely no idea. it never occurred to me to keep track of something like that...but you look a little familiar from your avatar. Do you fly fish too with perhaps a fiberglass rod too?

Edited by SpaceConqueror3, 27 August 2014 - 01:11 AM.

#13 JimMo

JimMo

I'd Rather Do It Myself

• Loc: Under the SE Michigan lightdome

Posted 28 August 2014 - 02:31 PM

Three nights in a row at this year's Winter Star Party.

Here in Michigan?  I agree with Mark's comment, just substitute Michigan for New Jersey:

Here in New Jersey observing streaks are measured in hours not days.  

Mark

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics