9 years of trouble free operation

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 John J

John J

Viking 1

• Loc: South East SD.

Posted 17 August 2014 - 01:25 PM

Well after 9 years with my trusty Sky Watcher EQ-6 GoTo it finally developed a big problem........ME! While adjusting the RA worm and ring mesh I stripped out the retaining bolts threads in the case. DANG. It was due for a teardown and some maintenance anyway. So I did the teardown and and jigged the motor case up on an endmill at work (afterhours..yea) and bored the holes and tapped them to receive stainless steel metric helicoils. I did all 8 holes for both axis anyway as I was in there and might as well get them all done before another stripped out (I am brutal with an allen wrench). I replaced every set screw and bolt with stainless steel fare as many of them showed signs of rust and corrision. I removed all of the Super lube that I put in there years ago and went with a real bearing grease this time. Regular old wheel bearing grease that's meant to take side loading and not squish out of the way. The gears seem to move a lot easier now when loaded.Repainted all the castings flat black as my EQ-6 was one of the early ones that came black. I am now 2 days into a gear run in and final adjustment. Hopefully at least 9 more years (if I'm still around) of trouble free performance!

JJ

• Ken Sturrock and Gary Z like this

#2 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 17 August 2014 - 04:08 PM

Good deal!  Too bad you didn't take some pictures.  That would have made a terrific tutorial.

David

• Gary Z likes this

#3 John J

John J

Viking 1

Posted 17 August 2014 - 04:52 PM

Good deal!  Too bad you didn't take some pictures.  That would have made a terrific tutorial.

David

Yeah I know. Didn't even think about it. You get busy and just forget about everything else. I do have it sitting here running in.

EQ-6Rebuild.jpg

JJ

• Gary Z likes this

#4 IamSparticles

IamSparticles

Lift Off

• Loc: Seattle-ish

Posted 18 August 2014 - 06:32 PM

Nice. I just acquired a used Atlas/EQ6, so it's nice to know that I can expect some longevity out of it.

#5 havasman

havasman

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:09 AM

all that finger/hand/wrist strength you get from a lifetime of twisting bolts and pulling wrenches can really wreak havoc now & again, eh. 

tink -  Grrrrr

Nowadays i always try to remember to hold the short end of the allen wrench to avoid the repairs.   :lol:

Then again when you have the tools & skills as you obviously do, it can be "fun"

#6 John J

John J

Viking 1

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:25 PM

all that finger/hand/wrist strength you get from a lifetime of twisting bolts and pulling wrenches can really wreak havoc now & again, eh. 

tink -  Grrrrr

Nowadays i always try to remember to hold the short end of the allen wrench to avoid the repairs.   :lol:

Then again when you have the tools & skills as you obviously do, it can be "fun"

havaman...you mention tools and skills as though I use them at the same time! This is not the case. As for using the short end of the of the allen wrench....that end of the wrench is just so that a 2 foot long cheater bar can be slid on easier in tight spots...right? :question:   It also allows you to find weak allen wrenches that have marginal ball ends! :bangbang:

Yeah it was fun though, and I got to polish and lap the worms, replace the tired old main bearings with true sealed bearings and put ABEC 9 creamic bearings on the worm shafts.

6008RSbearings.jpg

Hypertune.jpg

Wormlapped.jpg

RAAssembled.jpg

DECAssembled.jpg

JJ

Edited by John J, 20 August 2014 - 08:26 PM.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics