Photo

SE Michigan / "Thumb" Region August New Moon Observing?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Phillip Creed

Phillip Creed

Idiot Seeking Village

• Moderators
  • Loc: Canton, OH

Posted 18 August 2014 - 06:43 AM

My wife and I are heading up to her parents' house in the "Thumb" of Michigan (Lexington, to be precise) on Wednesday (8/20) and leaving on Sunday (8/24).   I have been meaning to check out Delaware Park, which is about an hour north of Port Huron.  I'm also game for a return visit to Port Crescent State Park near Port Austin.  Port Crescent is very picturesque during daylight hours.  Delaware Park doesn't have much in the way of amenities, but is the closest "blue zone" site to Detroit Metro.

If anyone's interested in doing some deep-sky observing in this region, please holler.  If the Thumb's clouded out but southern Michigan (particularly the Hudson Lake area) is clear, I'd be game on going there, too.

Clear Skies,

Phil

#2 JimMo

JimMo

I'd Rather Do It Myself

• Loc: Under the SE Michigan lightdome

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:06 PM

Hi Phil,

I'll watch the weather on those dates and reply back to this thread if I can get away.  I've wanted to check out Port Crescent SP and regularly go to Lake Hudson so hopefully there will be some clear skies.  Delaware Park is definitely closer for one night which is all I ever get.  I'll also post on our clubs message board if I go.  You met Rick and I think Syed up there last time? 

Edited by JimMo, 18 August 2014 - 07:07 PM.

#3 Garry

Garry

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Belleville, MI

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:15 PM

Phil,

I'm definitely interested as I have this week off and am hoping to get at least one quality night of observing in by Saturday night.

You nailed my three primary observing location choices for this week. Port Crescent is my preferred destination and currently the

Friday night forecast seems to be the best chance. If Delaware is clear instead,I would go there. Lake Hudson is the closest drive

and where I go most often. Weather permitting maybe we can get together at one of these locations.

So my car is packed & ready to go to any of these locations this week at any time as long as we have "Clear Skies".

Garry

Jim I'll give you a call if I'm heading up.

#4 Phillip Creed

Phillip Creed

Idiot Seeking Village

• Moderators

Posted 19 August 2014 - 04:47 PM

Jim,

Yes, I met Syed and Rick up at Port Crescent State Park back in June, and it ended up being one of the better nights I've ever had.  That spot is definitely one place you want to get to prior to sunset to snap some pics from atop the dunes.

The weather forecast for Wednesday through Saturday night looks, um, challenging to say the least.  Actually, at this point, it appears Lake Hudson is favored for Friday night, but the models are currently giving divergent solutions.

Of course, when they all agree on something, it usually means poor weather.  But we'll see.

Clear Skies,
Phil

#5 Phillip Creed

Phillip Creed

Idiot Seeking Village

• Moderators

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:18 PM

I just arrived in Lexington.  I will probably observe from my in-laws' driveway.  Hopefully sometime Thursday, Friday or Saturday will work out.  If anyone's interested in going to Delaware Park tonight, holler or send me a PM.

Clear Skies,

Phil

#6 Phillip Creed

Phillip Creed

Idiot Seeking Village

• Moderators

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:59 PM

I got some observing in on Wednesday night before low clouds moved in late.  There's a lot of low-level moisture that has forming low clouds/fog every morning I've been up here.  While the CSC looks promising for tonight and tomorrow night, fog is forecast to develop after 2 a.m., so I'm not sure what I'm doing tonight.

I did get a view of G1, a globular cluster in M31.  It glows around 14th magnitude, and required my 7XW (164X with my Paracorr) to confirm its non-stellar nature.

Clear Skies,

Phil

#7 JimMo

JimMo

I'd Rather Do It Myself

• Loc: Under the SE Michigan lightdome

Posted 22 August 2014 - 03:55 PM

How was Delaware Park?  Any objectionable ground lights?  Looking at the weather this weekend doesn't look too promising for Lake Hudson.  Monday and Tuesday are supposed to be better, but around here things change quickly.

Just now got off the phone with Garry.  He's up at Port Crescent and says it's clear as a bell right now.  The CSC forecasts it to be a good night there.  Wish I wasn't working until seven or I would have headed up.  

Tomorrow afternoon I have to take a van load of stuff to my son in Alma who's starting a new job and moving into a new apartment.  I haven't had a good long night of observing since the Winter Star Party.   :(     

#8 Phillip Creed

Phillip Creed

Idiot Seeking Village

• Moderators

Posted 22 August 2014 - 06:29 PM

Well, I hope Garry had a good night up there.  The low cloud cover forecast to arrive later tonight has come in sooner than expected.  I'm already clouded out by lake effect, and I suspect that's going to affect Port Crescent shortly, if it hasn't already.

I did my observing on Wednesday from my in laws' house near Lexington.  I still haven't gotten out to Delaware Park.

Clear Skies,

Phil

#9 Garry

Garry

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:08 AM

Phil,

The low cloud fog didn't roll in untill just after 9pm. I could always see Vega through it and occasionally more and by

10:20pm was totally clear. The skies were looking very good. At midnight average SQM 21.50 zenith & 21.68 in the direction

of the Little Dipper bowl. I was amazed at how detailed & high contrast the view of M27 was through my C11/Ethos21 that it

looked more like when I use a OIII filter. Saw 4 meteors that appeared to be Kappa Cygnids. Two of which shoot down through

the Big Dipper. The night ended at 1:40am when low cloud fog moved in fast & dense. Will try again tonight, staying just

4 miles east of the park.

Garry

#10 Phillip Creed

Phillip Creed

Idiot Seeking Village

• Moderators

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:37 AM

Garry,

I never made it anywhere other than my in-law's driveway for observing, as the local forecasts, and especially the forecast discussion out of Detroit/Pontiac NWS was decidedly pessimistic regarding lake-induced stratus/fog.  Did you have clear skies up there last night?

Clear Skies,

Phil

#11 Garry

Garry

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 24 August 2014 - 07:29 PM

Phil,

The low level cloud mist & fog finally was beginning to clear up at sunset after literally hanging around all day. I observed from 930 pm to 130am as the weather rolled in as if on cue again. The skies were not as transparent as the night before as Stephan's Quintet was more averted vision vs directly seen the night before. SQM was averaging 21.31 at Zenith. Saw 5 more meteors.

What were your night skies like in Lexington Fri & Sat night?

Will have a long weekend coming up because of Labor Day and would consider going to Port Crescent only if the weather is going to be excellent, otherwise Lake Hudson is going to be the last minute cloud-radar roll call of choice.

Just a friendly reminder the that the Great Lakes Star Gaze is less than a month away.

http://www.greatlakesstargaze.com/

Garry

#12 Phillip Creed

Phillip Creed

Idiot Seeking Village

• Moderators

Posted 25 August 2014 - 05:39 AM

Garry,

Friday night was a total bust.  The clouds rolled in off the lake before sunset and stayed there until almost noon on Saturday.  I wasn't keen on doing too much observing on Saturday night, as I had to make the drive back to Canton, OH, on Sunday, but there was some clear patches of sky on Saturday night.  I used the time on Saturday night to improve the alignment procedure on my hybrid 8" f/4.9.  There was a definite drop in transparency vs. Wednesday night.

Clear Skies,

Phil

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics