Gosh darned bleepen...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 stellarvuelomo

stellarvuelomo

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:56 AM

I love the optical and build quality of my Tak 60, I really do, but damn do I hate the stupid focuser they put on it and all the fangled adapters that attach it to the scope.  The focuser is a disaster in terms of being friendly to use as tightening and loosening is a battle that could be so easily avoided.  Thinking about dropping some coin and tossing the Tak and going FT, if this is at all possible.

#2 SteveG

SteveG

Skylab

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:38 PM

Moonlite is very nice, for less. Not sure how well they fit up to a 60mm scope though.

#3 stellarvuelomo

stellarvuelomo

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:35 PM

Moonlite too maybe...have to check their site...

#4 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

Viking 1

• Loc: In a galaxy far far away...

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:49 PM

It is possible. This guy did it: http://tinyurl.com/kraphdq

#5 stellarvuelomo

stellarvuelomo

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:17 PM

Moonlite has one...275.  No brainer.

#6 Rich_W

Rich_W

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:14 PM

I changed to an FT on mine.    The swap is easy to do and, for me, I would say it was worth it.    

#7 LewisM

LewisM

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 19 August 2014 - 05:08 AM

I too detest the FS60's piddly focuser with all of an inch travel and the guzzillion adapters needed. One FS60 I bought had a FT already installed, and it was pure heaven - 2" standard fittings, lots of drawtube travel, smooth (yet still wasn't a great weight holder). Definitely the way to go for the FS60.

I also HAD to add the Q module to my last one too, as the CA in the standard FS60 is unacceptable IMHO. With the Q unit, it is well controlled.

#8 stellarvuelomo

stellarvuelomo

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 19 August 2014 - 09:30 AM

Yeah, an inch of travel...what is with that???  I can't use many of my eyepieces because of that!

#9 chrisastro8

chrisastro8

Vostok 1

• Loc: Texas

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:37 AM

Agreed.  I found my FS-60 focuser to be pretty good, until (coincidentally) last night it developed a wobble.  I just tightened the pinion this morning and all is back to where it was before but in doing so did reveal its almost primitive design which is a great shame really.  The adapters (system charts), were a steep learning curve for me.  My FS-60 came used to me as a badder equipped connectors for a guider.  I managed to cobble together various astro connectors from what I have and have been absolutely delighted with its visual performamce.  It my first Tak, and a remarkable performer but none the less I share your complaint.  More in this regard was certainly expected for a premium instrument.  By those optics:-)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics