AP 175 for sale

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
267 replies to this topic

#251 Dwight56

Dwight56

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:06 AM

Image intensifier tubes have been around since 1976,    :D   we were playing with an Litton electro-optics image intensifier way back then. :grin:  Yes looking at the sky is a lot of fun with an image intensifier. :)  See the central star of the Ring nebula in a 4inch scope :cool:  or the Horsehead in same scope  :cool: been there done that.  :p  

#252 Paul G

Paul G

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Freedonia

Posted 15 September 2014 - 12:27 PM

It is quite noticeable! The view is also like looking though a soda straw compared to the view through a large refractor like an AP175 or AP180. The Astro-Physics Big-Mac is definitely a specialized high magnification telescope for compact objects. At 3,708mm focal length, even a 21mm eyepiece is getting to be high power! It is quite a different beast.

Chris

Soda straw??? LOL
I have the AP 10" plus a TMB 8" F/9 and as I use them both for high power viewing and imaging it just means using different eyepieces to get similar magnifications. Large FOV is not very important when viewing or imaging Jupiter. But, you are correct in that the 10" F/14.6  is not a "wide field" scope.
Good stuff here folks.
From AP regarding the AP 10" Maksutov.

"This telescope was developed for those desiring a no-compromise high-power instrument for all visual and imaging needs. Ideal for lunar/planetary, double star and high-resolution deep-sky observing."

Jim

A Leitz 30 mm 88* apparent FOV EP is a nice companion for the AP 10" Mak-Cass. M42 looks staggering with that setup.

I usually use mine for lunar/planetary observing due to its superb contrast but other objects are worthwhile targets, too. M13 is stunning in the AP 10" Mak with a 13 Ethos, for instance, fills a large portion of the fov. 

#253 dr.who

dr.who

Apollo

• Moderators

Posted 15 September 2014 - 01:02 PM

Folks-

We are getting a bit off topic here. Please keep it related to the sale of the AP175.

Thank you.

#254 jmfcst

jmfcst

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Magnolia, Texas

Posted 15 September 2014 - 02:07 PM

Folks-

We are getting a bit off topic here. Please keep it related to the sale of the AP175.

Thank you.

Well, that's the rub, isn't it?  Everyone wants to make money...no one wants to sell their AP175. 

There are 3 things I will not sell, yea, with four I will not depart:  my faith, my family, my bloodhound, and my AP175.

#255 Dwight56

Dwight56

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 15 September 2014 - 05:24 PM

At the present time I have no interest in selling my AP 175 so the current price is a moot point to me. This week I take delivery of my F6.1 flatner focal reducer for my AP 175 whose arrival time coincides with the remnant hurricane that is now headed our direction. :crazy:  :p  :confused:

Edited by Dwight56, 15 September 2014 - 08:02 PM.

#256 Joe C

Joe C

Ranger 4

• Moderators

Posted 15 September 2014 - 06:43 PM

At the present time I have no interest in selling my AP 175 so the current price is a moot point to me. The week I take delivery of my F6.1 flatner focal reducer for my AP 175 whose arival time coincides with the remnant hurricane that is now headed our direction. :crazy:  :p  :confused:

Then I guess I better not order one just yet :grin:

#257 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:47 PM

AP is thick with the new scope curse. 

-Rich

#258 Edd Weninger

Edd Weninger

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 15 September 2014 - 11:46 PM

Ahaa, now we know why the Monsoon has resurrected itself.

Thx,  

.......This week I take delivery of my F6.1 flatner focal reducer for my AP 175 whose arrival time coincides with the remnant hurricane that is now headed our direction. :crazy:  :p  :confused:

#259 Dwight56

Dwight56

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 16 September 2014 - 11:58 AM

Thx,  

.......This week I take delivery of my F6.1 flatner focal reducer for my AP 175 whose arrival time coincides with the remnant hurricane that is now headed our direction. :crazy:  :p  :confused:

Yeah but my AP175 reducer won't be here until Thursday. ;)  And the weather Guestamints are saying that most of the hurricane remnant will be east of us. Whats interesting is that as intense as this storm was its sure defusing itself very quickly. :D

#260 M13 Observer

M13 Observer

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 16 September 2014 - 12:09 PM

Thx,  

Yeah but my AP175 reducer won't be here until Thursday. ;)  And the weather Guestamints are saying that most of the hurricane remnant will be east of us. Whats interesting is that as intense as this storm was its sure defusing itself very quickly. :D

Must be heading north into cooler water. That'll kill it off quick. What camera will you be using with the TCC? Even if you don't post any pics, please let us know what you think of it's capability on the mighty 175. I have been waffling on purchasing it.

Edited by M13 Observer, 16 September 2014 - 12:12 PM.

#261 Dwight56

Dwight56

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 16 September 2014 - 12:59 PM

Thx,  

Must be heading north into cooler water. That'll kill it off quick. What camera will you be using with the TCC? Even if you don't post any pics, please let us know what you think of it's capability on the mighty 175. I have been waffling on purchasing it.

The Hurricane Remnent at l least what's left of the eye is currently over the sea of cortez and slowly moving north. Its headed over land and the northerly part is currently over Phoenix Arizona headed east so far no rain!.

I plan right now just to use my Hutech moded 60DH and later maybe this winter get myself a Canon 6D moded bu Hutech. Later down the road I'd like to get myself a 16803 camera maybe the SBIG model. Yeah $1520.00 for the Focal Reducer for the 175 is a bit much but then again look waht we paid for them. Roland as you well know designs his optics so that everything performs perfect. I have no idea how many Roland made for these 175's I figured that one day you may not be able to order one off that shelf and if you need one you could wait a year or more.

#262 M13 Observer

M13 Observer

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 16 September 2014 - 02:14 PM

Thx,  

The Hurricane Remnent at l least what's left of the eye is currently over the sea of cortez and slowly moving north. Its headed over land and the northerly part is currently over Phoenix Arizona headed east so far no rain!.

I plan right now just to use my Hutech moded 60DH and later maybe this winter get myself a Canon 6D moded bu Hutech. Later down the road I'd like to get myself a 16803 camera maybe the SBIG model. Yeah $1520.00 for the Focal Reducer for the 175 is a bit much but then again look waht we paid for them. Roland as you well know designs his optics so that everything performs perfect. I have no idea how many Roland made for these 175's I figured that one day you may not be able to order one off that shelf and if you need one you could wait a year or more.

Ahh, so not monsoons but hurricanes spinning off rain into northern Mexico, western California and eastern Arizona. Great, something to look forward to! I agree, a 175TCC would be nice but only so much money in the astro budget and I just splurged on a 6D (unmodded) and assorted lenses and adapters. I have an FLI PL16803 and while a nice camera, it takes some time to get everything set up for an imaging session so I don't put it on until I know I will be doing a fairly lengthy imaging run. I figure the 6D will do for those one-nighters and will allow me to evaluate targets for follow-up with the CCD. I agree, having the TCC available when it comes time to eventually sell the AP175 will probably be a valuable item to possess.

#263 Peter Natscher

Peter Natscher

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central Coast California

Posted 16 September 2014 - 03:46 PM

One thing missing from the recent pages of this discussions - the views through an AP175.  I looked at Arcturus the other night through #48.  The orange giant looked very ominous and deadly, like a glowingly hot and brilliant BB, and gave me a new understanding of the term "Star Fire".

They're what you'd expect from a nearly perfectly corrected 7" apo. Jupiter is heavily detail-laden, white pure white bands. M42 is absolutely stunning, with the outer tendrils that look like smoke. I have an AP 10" Mak-Cass, so visual work woth the 175 may seem superfluous, but it's not.

JJK, I am not at all sure why you would think that a 10" Mak-Cass with a 2.3" obstruction and a net 7.7" of aperture would be ostensibly different or make the 175 with a net 6.89" of aperture superfluous? However, having looked through a number of larger Apo's in the 180-200mm size range, I think the question is more why anyone would pay $30K+ for only 6.9" of aperture to do any serious visual work? I have been reading this thread and finding it fascinating and wondering if people are coveting these scopes much more than they are looking through them? I am afraid that I agree with Aquatone that when most of us ageing astronomers are no longer around to covet these fairly limited scopes that the premiums they will command will likely not keep up with inflation going forward. If I were an investor/collector, I think I would market mine if I had it now as the market is hot for these scopes but may not be as relatively "hot" in say 10 years as Chris pointed out when technology has kicked in.

To get back on topic, today's CNN article tells it quite well how a top-of-the-technology items from a past period now fetches top collectible money.  I think this relates directly to the AP175EDF's future price value.

http://www.cnn.com/2....html?hpt=hp_c3

#264 Malabargold

Malabargold

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:16 PM

Mak v. 175

if I kept only only for use, it would be the 175, no question.

#265 JJK

JJK

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:20 PM

Thx,  

M13. I know some of the scopes in your barn. You won't be disappointed.

I've used a used SBIG STL11K OSC and an FLI ML8300 monochrome cameras to reasonable effect. I'll soon test an FLI ML694 woth the scope.

#266 Neptune

Neptune

Vostok 1

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 19 September 2014 - 08:23 PM

Admittedly, I've been tempted to sell mine for a quick profit and buy something else to fill the void. Not sure what that something else would be though.  I do so enjoy using it for planets and doubles stars. With magnitude 2 to 3 skies, my location leaves little to be desired, so faint fuzzies are out of the question.

Question:  Can you use the 6.1 reducer visually, like a visual telecompressor?  That would give you a field of about 2-1/2 degrees in a 2" barrel eyepiece!

David

#267 JJK

JJK

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 19 September 2014 - 10:47 PM

Thx,  

M13. I know some of the scopes in your barn. You won't be disappointed.

I've used a used SBIG STL11K OSC and an FLI ML8300 monochrome cameras to reasonable effect. I'll soon test an FLI ML694 woth the scope.

Hi John,

I just had a look at the ML694. Not a bad camera with that Sony chip. Very low dark current and noise ratings and pretty small pixels at around 45Å. If I recall what I was reading properly, it has a moderate size so shouldn't stress the capabilities of the 175 even without a TCC or FF.

It should arrive by the end of next month.  That system will complement the Traveler + FLI ML8300.

#268 star drop

star drop

contra contrail

• Moderators
  • Loc: Snow Plop, WNY

Posted 19 September 2014 - 11:16 PM

Seeing that several suggestions to remain on topic have gone unheeded this thread is now locked.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics