Photo

Stellarvue SV60 Apo

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jhighfield

jhighfield

Sputnik

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:48 PM

Well the cuteness bug bit me.   I just ordered one of these baby triplets.  

Vic said I have to twiddle my thumbs for about 45 days though.

I'll post First Light info and pics as soon as I get this little midget in my hands.

#2 MortonH

MortonH

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 22 August 2014 - 05:01 AM

Congrats. I was waiting to hear the first review before buying but then a red pre-owned SV66ED came up on the SV website and I bought that instead :D .

I think the SV60 is a doublet rather than a triplet but it should still have excellent color correction.

#3 David E

David E

Aurora

• Loc: North Carolina

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:09 AM

Well the cuteness bug bit me.   I just ordered one of these baby triplets.  

Vic said I have to twiddle my thumbs for about 45 days though.

I'll post First Light info and pics as soon as I get this little midget in my hands.

Looking forward to your FL report. I have the little brother, the SV50ED (discontinued). Cute as a button and an awful lot of fun.Believe it or not, I like mine most for viewing double and multiple stars.

#4 kmparsons

kmparsons

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:45 AM

It is amazing how much fun you can have with a little 60mm refractor when you are on the go. Just put it in your carry-on luggage, pop it on a sturdy photo tripod when ready to view, and enjoy! I have long been tempted to buy the TV or the TAK 60mm scopes, but was deterred by the $800 plus price tags. The $600 for the SV still seems a tad steep, but it is more in the price ballpark for me. All of the big, bright usual objects show up well in a high-quality 60mm refractor. The moon is great, the Perseus Double Cluster, the Orion nebula, M 7, etc. The really great thing about ultra-portability is that you can easily take it to a dark-sky site. Using a 60mm scope under pristine skies can be more satisfying than using a much larger scope from the sort of light polluted wastelands most of us have to endure. 

#5 Binojunky

Binojunky

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:49 AM

Orion do a 62mm scope, Petzvel design, with a high quality diagonal, eyepieces and case for $400, DA.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics