•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Refractors as a spotting scope

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff Porter

Jeff Porter

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Utah

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:47 PM

I was curious as to wether or not a simple 66mm-80mm ED refractor would hold up as a spotting scope when sighting in large rifles.

My brother shoots a Barrett 50 cal, and he needs a new spotting scope.  The concern is the shock wave generated from such a large rifle, and any potential miscollimation as a result.  He is a competition shooter so weather would not be an issue.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff Porter, 18 August 2014 - 05:56 PM.

#2 daniel_h

daniel_h

Vanguard

• Loc: VIC, Australia

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:57 PM

I use a 72ed as a spotting scope (had a Nikon fieldscope before that), it works reasonably well with a good quality zoom & diagonal, how he mounts it is prob of more concern & how close to the gun mounting- a CF tripod might be better, does he use 1 position to look thru both spotter & gun sight? 

#3 Jeff Porter

Jeff Porter

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:46 PM

I am not sure of his exact setup.  He did mention that the blast from the muzzle brake once knocked over a small spotting scope set up behind him on a cheap tripod.  This was the concern for a small refractor keeping alignment with repeated shock wave impacts even if it is not in the direct line of the muzzle brake.

Since he was looking to spend $1.0k+, my thought was to use a Stellarvue ED with a correct image diagonal and a Baader Hyperion Zoom to offer diversity of a spotting scope and grab and go.  He would not be interested in collimation if the lenses became misaligned or decentered.

Jeff

#4 kozmik frakture

kozmik frakture

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Covers Corner MD USA

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:26 PM

I don't know how well most of the small refractors will hold up to the muzzle blast shock wave.  I use a 80mm shorty & a 95mm Mak as spotting scopes all the time, but the most action they see is the occasional .223 & .30 cal stuff, most of the time looking at birds & other wildlife.  I've not fired the Barrett or other 50 cal rifles, but I have spent some time dishing 50 cal out from the M2 (thank you Uncle Sam!)--heaps of shock waves!

#5 daniel_h

daniel_h

Vanguard

• Loc: VIC, Australia

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:00 PM

I think the tripod will be the most crucial piece of kit -a refractor should hold up slightly better than a CAT

#6 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Cosmos

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:30 AM

If you think this is an easy subject guess again.  Gun guys put as much consideration into the their optics as we do.  And the names are familiar:  Pentax, Zeiss, Swarovski. But there are some budget listings too.  Check it out.

http://www.6mmbr.com...tterReview.html

Greg N

#7 Jeff Porter

Jeff Porter

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:54 PM

Nice review.  I think my bro mentioned the Bushnell from the article.  I will pass the info along.

thanks all.

Jeff

#8 kozmik frakture

kozmik frakture

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Covers Corner MD USA

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:07 PM

No, I wouldn't think a CAT's the best option.  Some type of very solid refractor with a very tough & sturdy tripod.  Sometimes folks sandbag the tripod and the scope itself.  This helps keep things on track and a proper sandbagging or similar setup absorbs a large amount of blast energy (oh yeah, we remember that from fighting position setup & overhead protection).  It's great you can shoot such calibers out in Utah; in Maryland, I get worried if, while eating a pop-tart, it starts to look like a gun!

#9 penguinx64

penguinx64

Vanguard

• Loc: APO AE

Posted 21 August 2014 - 02:57 PM

My DIY refractor is made from 2 spotting scopes.  The spotting scopes both had an erect image, but the resulting refractor doesn't.  Everything is upside down now.  You'll need an erect image diagonal for a good refractor/spotting scope.

#10 mooreorless

mooreorless

Just worried

• Loc: Cornpropst Mills,Huntingdon,Pa

Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:01 PM

http://store.astrono...e=index&cPath=5        C-80ED cheap,  buy a very good tripod, cover the scope when shooting, esp. the objective lens, what ever.Buy 2, keep one as a spare. Buy a 9mm eyepiece 66.6x  Buy a regular diagonal, just remember left is right and right is left.;)  Erect diagonal degrades the image.

Edited by mooreorless, 23 August 2014 - 09:21 PM.

#11 mooreorless

mooreorless

Just worried

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:19 AM

C80 refractor with non factory rings[not the ones that come with this scope] modified plate for a stronger connection to the Manfrotto 501 head, the tripod is 3236[475B type]

Attached Files

#12 mooreorless

mooreorless

Just worried

Posted 24 August 2014 - 05:13 PM

You can get a Manfrotto 055XPROB Tripod and 502 HD head for $329.50 shipped after mail in rebate. Tripod rated 15.4 lbs. head rated 12.2 lbs. I bought all my stuff used.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics