Refractors as a spotting scope

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff Porter

Jeff Porter

Vostok 1

• Loc: Utah

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:47 PM

I was curious as to wether or not a simple 66mm-80mm ED refractor would hold up as a spotting scope when sighting in large rifles.

My brother shoots a Barrett 50 cal, and he needs a new spotting scope.  The concern is the shock wave generated from such a large rifle, and any potential miscollimation as a result.  He is a competition shooter so weather would not be an issue.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff Porter, 18 August 2014 - 05:56 PM.

#2 daniel_h

daniel_h

Vanguard

• Loc: VIC, Australia

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:57 PM

I use a 72ed as a spotting scope (had a Nikon fieldscope before that), it works reasonably well with a good quality zoom & diagonal, how he mounts it is prob of more concern & how close to the gun mounting- a CF tripod might be better, does he use 1 position to look thru both spotter & gun sight? 

#3 Jeff Porter

Jeff Porter

Vostok 1

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:46 PM

I am not sure of his exact setup.  He did mention that the blast from the muzzle brake once knocked over a small spotting scope set up behind him on a cheap tripod.  This was the concern for a small refractor keeping alignment with repeated shock wave impacts even if it is not in the direct line of the muzzle brake.

Since he was looking to spend $1.0k+, my thought was to use a Stellarvue ED with a correct image diagonal and a Baader Hyperion Zoom to offer diversity of a spotting scope and grab and go.  He would not be interested in collimation if the lenses became misaligned or decentered.

Jeff

#4 kozmik frakture

kozmik frakture

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Covers Corner MD USA

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:26 PM

I don't know how well most of the small refractors will hold up to the muzzle blast shock wave.  I use a 80mm shorty & a 95mm Mak as spotting scopes all the time, but the most action they see is the occasional .223 & .30 cal stuff, most of the time looking at birds & other wildlife.  I've not fired the Barrett or other 50 cal rifles, but I have spent some time dishing 50 cal out from the M2 (thank you Uncle Sam!)--heaps of shock waves!

#5 daniel_h

daniel_h

Vanguard

• Loc: VIC, Australia

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:00 PM

I think the tripod will be the most crucial piece of kit -a refractor should hold up slightly better than a CAT

#6 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:30 AM

If you think this is an easy subject guess again.  Gun guys put as much consideration into the their optics as we do.  And the names are familiar:  Pentax, Zeiss, Swarovski. But there are some budget listings too.  Check it out.

http://www.6mmbr.com...tterReview.html

Greg N

#7 Jeff Porter

Jeff Porter

Vostok 1

Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:54 PM

Nice review.  I think my bro mentioned the Bushnell from the article.  I will pass the info along.

thanks all.

Jeff

#8 kozmik frakture

kozmik frakture

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Covers Corner MD USA

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:07 PM

No, I wouldn't think a CAT's the best option.  Some type of very solid refractor with a very tough & sturdy tripod.  Sometimes folks sandbag the tripod and the scope itself.  This helps keep things on track and a proper sandbagging or similar setup absorbs a large amount of blast energy (oh yeah, we remember that from fighting position setup & overhead protection).  It's great you can shoot such calibers out in Utah; in Maryland, I get worried if, while eating a pop-tart, it starts to look like a gun!

#9 penguinx64

penguinx64

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Holland

Posted 21 August 2014 - 02:57 PM

My DIY refractor is made from 2 spotting scopes.  The spotting scopes both had an erect image, but the resulting refractor doesn't.  Everything is upside down now.  You'll need an erect image diagonal for a good refractor/spotting scope.

#10 mooreorless

mooreorless

Just worried

• Loc: Cornpropst Mills,Huntingdon,Pa

Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:01 PM

http://store.astrono...e=index&cPath=5        C-80ED cheap,  buy a very good tripod, cover the scope when shooting, esp. the objective lens, what ever.Buy 2, keep one as a spare. Buy a 9mm eyepiece 66.6x  Buy a regular diagonal, just remember left is right and right is left.;)  Erect diagonal degrades the image.

Edited by mooreorless, 23 August 2014 - 09:21 PM.

#11 mooreorless

mooreorless

Just worried

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:19 AM

C80 refractor with non factory rings[not the ones that come with this scope] modified plate for a stronger connection to the Manfrotto 501 head, the tripod is 3236[475B type]

Attached Files

#12 mooreorless

mooreorless

Just worried

Posted 24 August 2014 - 05:13 PM

You can get a Manfrotto 055XPROB Tripod and 502 HD head for $329.50 shipped after mail in rebate. Tripod rated 15.4 lbs. head rated 12.2 lbs. I bought all my stuff used.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics