New to me Celestron C9.25 Scope!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 gunfighter48

gunfighter48

Ranger 4

• Loc: Mill Creek, Washington

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:42 PM

I looked thru my first C9.25 scope about the spring of 2000. I have looked thru 4 all total and have always been impressed with how good the view was with all of them. I've wanted one ever since 2000 and just never had the money. I bought a Meade LS8 two years ago becuase my back was so bad I couldn't lift very much weight. And the C9.25 needs a substantial mount. Well after two years of not having to pickup my poor wife and shuttle her from the bed to wheelchair to pickup truck and back again my back is finally healing. As long as I lift carefully I can move up to 90 lbs 10' at a time.

I bought a ES AR 152 refractor and CGEM goto mount a few months ago and have had no trouble moving it around once it was broke down into smaller pieces. So up comes an ad on Astromart for a C9.25 for $700.00. I had just got a very unexpected bonus from my job and had some money to spare.  So got a hold of the seller and everything went well and the scope just got here this afternoon. It came by US Mail and I had my doubts that it would arrive in one piece!!  But it got here in fine shape. It has a few very minor scrapes around the tube and front where the cap mounts but that's it. Otherwise it's in great shape. It has a Vixen mount and the CGEM has a Losmandy D style saddle.  So I looked around at various options and found out that the C9.25 CGE dovetails don't fit the older tubes, they are too short and the old dovetails are no longer made by Celestron. I looked around the net for options and finally decided to get a ADM Losmandy D to Vixen adapter for the CGEM mount.  The D part fits the dovetail on the CGEM saddle and it has a Vixen dovetail on on top of it. This way what ever a scope has for a dovetail I'll be able to use it on my mount without buying a new dovetail!!

So when it gets here I'll get a picture of the scope on the CGEM mount. And after the 3 weeks or so of clouds I may be able to get first light with it.

Attached Files

Edited by gunfighter48, 20 August 2014 - 10:22 PM.

#2 petert913

petert913

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 19 August 2014 - 09:42 PM

Looks Great !  Happy viewing.  It's nice to finally get a long-awaited piece of gear

#3 DonMendoza

DonMendoza

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Greensboro NC

Posted 20 August 2014 - 05:21 PM

Congrats - I stepped up from an 8" dob to a CPC925 last month.

With those forks, it's pretty heavy. but the views are really great.

Enjoy your new scope and Clear Skies to You.

#4 Brollen

Brollen

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland, USA

Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:44 PM

Ditto on the congrats. Like you a 9.25" SCT in the form of a Nexstar GPS was my dream/aspirational scope. I finally found one last year and it wows me every time I take it out. This scope will be with me for a long time.

Enjoy the views!

#5 gunfighter48

gunfighter48

Ranger 4

• Loc: Mill Creek, Washington

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:20 PM

Ditto on the congrats. Like you a 9.25" SCT in the form of a Nexstar GPS was my dream/aspirational scope. I finally found one last year and it wows me every time I take it out. This scope will be with me for a long time.

Enjoy the views!

The only way I see me ever getting rid of this scope is if I can't lift it onto the mount anymore or to buy a new version!!!!!!!! My kids or grandkids will inherit the ES AR152 and the C9.25.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics