got a "new to me" WO Zenithstar 80

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#26 rnc39560

rnc39560

Surveyor 1

• Loc: MS coast

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:38 PM

Steve, you're using a standard 2" diagona Also, I like that BLUE tube! :)

Yes - standard 2" mirror diagonal is shown in the pick. I also use a Celestron 1-1/4" prism, which requires a bunch of outward focus. Both diagonals will bring all of my eyepieces to focus.

Its got to be the difference in focal length. I tried my 1.25 Celestron mirror diagonal and the 2" diagonal. Neither will allow my 4mm Burgess or the 5mm come to focus. I can focus them very close, like across the yard. But no further. 

Edited by rnc39560, 22 August 2014 - 10:40 PM.

#27 SteveG

SteveG

Skylab

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 23 August 2014 - 04:05 PM

Steve, you're using a standard 2" diagona Also, I like that BLUE tube! :)

Yes - standard 2" mirror diagonal is shown in the pick. I also use a Celestron 1-1/4" prism, which requires a bunch of outward focus. Both diagonals will bring all of my eyepieces to focus.

Its got to be the difference in focal length. I tried my 1.25 Celestron mirror diagonal and the 2" diagonal. Neither will allow my 4mm Burgess or the 5mm come to focus. I can focus them very close, like across the yard. But no further. 

Yes, 480 mm vs 545 mm. Have you tried pulling the diagonal or eyepiece out a little to achieve focus? Or do you need more inward focus?

#28 rnc39560

rnc39560

Surveyor 1

• Loc: MS coast

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:10 PM

Steve, you're using a standard 2" diagona Also, I likethat BLUE tube! :)

Yes, 480 mm vs 545 mm. Have you tried pulling the diagonal or eyepiece out a little to achieve focus? Or do you need more inward focus?

Needs more "in" focus. I can bring it to focus about 75' away, but no further distance. I run out of inward travel. The 10mm plossl is a little better, but not much. Same way with trying a 2" barlow on my 2" 25mm. It can focus across the small front yard, but looking to the trees behind the house thats across street, cant do it. Only with longer fl ep's like an unbarlowed 25. I can use the 25 for astro too and still focus. 

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics