• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Itz marcus

Itz marcus

Apollo

• Loc: Brooklyn NY

Posted 19 August 2014 - 09:54 PM

Hi guys,

Well I beat the curse mostly. I say mostly because last night was one of the best nights I had all summer so I was able to use the scope but Only with one ep (25mm) (the jerk who stole my scope last week made off with ALL of my ep's as well). I was upstate NY with my new C8 that I received yesterday.

OK The Good the Bad and the Ugly.

Ugly first- There is no handle on this scope!! I think that the tube was meant for the SE (it says SE on the dovetail) hence supposedly no need for a handle. The problem is that I am using it on a GEM. No handle can be a recipe for VERY ugly. I gotta be carefull.

The bad- (well not too bad) There was no instruction manual. I don't really need one as I don't do AP but it would be nice to know how to remove and but back the secondary. Also, there was a red dot finder not a finder scope- nothing terrible but I'm used to using a finder scope.

The Good- Image shift was non existent when focusing. Now granted I only used a 25mm ep (Did I mention that the jerk that stole my scope last week made off with ALL of my eyepieces :( ! Oh well, I'm sorry,I still need to vent!) but the image stayed put!!!

Focusing was very smooth.

The scope arrived in collimation, but again I was only able to judge using a 25mm ep for 80x

Targets: Saturn way too low to be exciting

I took a look at the ring nebula it was clear and wonderful

The Swan nebula was clearly a swan (even first time viewers saw the swan right away)

Hercules Cluster was phenomenal with individual stars clear across the cluster.

Andromeda was clearly more than a core but an extended object connected to the bright core.

The Butterfly- Low in the sky and affected by light pollution but a real jewel.

The Double Cluster was just wow wow wow wow! Did I say wow? I just couldn't stop looking at it!

M81 and M82 showed more than just smudges but I need to spend more time with them.

By the time I got to the double double the sky wasn't as steady but it was clear that there were two stars x two even though the split wasn't seen all of the time.

All in all it seems to be a great scope. I will continue to test it patiently and thoroughly, and hopefully post my results.

Clear skies

Itz

• markc2 likes this

#2 stevew

stevew

Now I've done it

• -----
  • Loc: British Columbia Canada

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:55 PM

Congratulations on your new scope.

Sorry to hear about your old one.

Hopefully the person who stole it will one day get what he deserves.

Great observing report, it sounds like you have a winner!!

Steve

#3 dpippel

dpippel

Apollo

• Loc: Desierto de Sonora

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:11 AM

Sorry to hear about your other scope and eyepieces. Karma. She's a ****. Eventually she'll catch up with whomever stole your gear.

Nice first light report. Enjoy the new OTA!

#4 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:10 AM

There is no handle on this scope!! I think that the tube was meant for the SE (it says SE on the dovetail) hence supposedly no need for a handle. The problem is that I am using it on a GEM. No handle can be a recipe for VERY ugly. I gotta be carefull.

Very happy to hear that you are enjoying your C8!     What makes these scopes great is that they offer a lot of performance in a small, light, and comfortable to use package.  

The GEM version and the SE Version are the same except for the orientiation of the graphics, and neither has a handle.

In fact, most of the older SCTs don't have handles.

And many models of SE did not include a traditional finder... Only a red dot.  That was all that was really needed for the Go-To mount becuase you only really needed a finder for initial alignment.

I don't quite understand how the lack of a handle poses  any kind of risk regardless of how the scope is mounted.  Again, for decades, only a few models had handles, though the EdgeHDs now I think come standard with a handle at the rear.

Anyway, neither of these were "Inocrrect" and the standard GEM mounted C8 was not shipped with a handle either.

Enjoy your C8.    They are great little scopes. 

#5 Itz marcus

Itz marcus

Apollo

• Loc: Brooklyn NY

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:06 AM

Hi,

With the handle it just seems much more secure putting the scope on and off the mount. My last scope had one and it was easier to work with.

Clear skies

itz

#6 evan9162

evan9162

Ranger 4

• Loc: Boise, ID

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:15 AM

I've never seen the need for a handle on my scopes.  I put one hand under the front of the scope, the other holding the back where the VB attaches.  Slide backwards into to the dovetail.  Leave the rear hand in place to hold the scope, while the other tightens the dovetail clamp.  Done in 10s.

• moonrider likes this

#7 geminijk

geminijk

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

Posted 23 August 2014 - 04:09 PM

C8s are great scopes, enjoy!

John

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics