• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 steven_usa

steven_usa

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:49 AM

Has anyone used a Sky-Watcher PRO (SWP) with a DSLR?   Either the f/9 100mm version or f/7.5 120mm version?

Specifically with a mid-range Canon 450D?  Mostly I'm just curious about weight.  I have a cooler also, putting the camera payload alone at 4.5lbs.  With the Canon's built in 44mm inset of its sensor, how is the focusing with one of those on the SWP?   What about if adding a 2x PowerMate?    AND a filter wheel?  How much focusing room is there? 

And I would be using this on a Celestron AVX mount.   I currently use my 8" Vixen VMC200L with same Canon camera with some reasonable success, but it has fairly limited focusing travel (e.g. I can't use the PowerMate and keep focus while imaging).   I'm use to a 1950mm FL and 600" subs, but with this mount I don't think I'm ready to go to any larger scope or longer FL.  Bbut I do like to zoom into objects and get detail and produce the larger images -- I realize the shorter FL will mean smaller images and wider views.  Anyway, just looking for opinions about it (and not ready to jump into CCD imaging)! Thanks

#2 leviathan

leviathan

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Azerbaijan

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:13 AM

I have my setup of Orion 100ED f/9 with 0.85x focal reducer and Canon 5Da/1000D ready waiting for clear sky. I've seen some good results on this forum from similar setup.

For heavy setup you'll certainly need to replace focuser. 0.85x reducer has 55mm of optimal distance.

Edited by leviathan, 21 August 2014 - 07:15 AM.

#3 maadscientist

maadscientist

Vostok 1

• Loc: Atlanta, Georgia

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:27 AM

Also, to keep things as orthagonal as possible, get the Baader clicklock. Here is the link to it overseas, but if you google it various US dealers have it.

http://www.teleskop-...-Celestron.html

Dan L

#4 BKBrown

BKBrown

Gemini

• Loc: Northern Virginia, USA

Posted 21 August 2014 - 04:05 PM

Has anyone used a Sky-Watcher PRO (SWP) with a DSLR?   Either the f/9 100mm version or f/7.5 120mm version?

Specifically with a mid-range Canon 450D?  Mostly I'm just curious about weight.  I have a cooler also, putting the camera payload alone at 4.5lbs.  With the Canon's built in 44mm inset of its sensor, how is the focusing with one of those on the SWP?   What about if adding a 2x PowerMate?    AND a filter wheel?  How much focusing room is there? 

And I would be using this on a Celestron AVX mount.   I currently use my 8" Vixen VMC200L with same Canon camera with some reasonable success, but it has fairly limited focusing travel (e.g. I can't use the PowerMate and keep focus while imaging).   I'm use to a 1950mm FL and 600" subs, but with this mount I don't think I'm ready to go to any larger scope or longer FL.  Bbut I do like to zoom into objects and get detail and produce the larger images -- I realize the shorter FL will mean smaller images and wider views.  Anyway, just looking for opinions about it (and not ready to jump into CCD imaging)! Thanks

Yes I have. I use my SW100ED Pro with the Skywatcher dedicated FF/R and a modded Canon T1i (Hutech 500DH) and Hutech LPS filter.The factory focuser was replaced ages ago with a Moonlite CF2 dual speed model, it works like a charm. Your mount should be fine, I have used my rig with a SSAG and home-made 9x50 guide scope with no problems on both Sirius and Atlas mounts. Not sure why you would want to put a 2x Powermate in the train fro deep sky work, you'll be starting at f/18 right out of the gate and the magnification won't do enough good to compensate for the longer exposures required...stick with the native focal length or a focal reducer (much recommended).

Using my rig I can easily get 10 to 15 minute subs when properly aligned, I haven't tried for longer from my light polluted back yard. The attached image of M27 was taken with the SW100ED Pro, Skywatcher FF/R (.85), modded Canon T1i with Hutech LPS filter, and guided on my white bread Atlas.

Good Luck!

Clear Skies,

Brian

Attached Files

Edited by BKBrown, 21 August 2014 - 04:07 PM.

#5 steven_usa

steven_usa

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:37 AM

Thanks for the comments!

I thought the SWP might be versatile enough for some planetary work also.   I know there is a SW120ED version.  A PowerMate might come in handy there.  Or, perhaps a PowerMate might help flatten the field and gain a slight bit more of detail?  But perhaps not... Sounds better to ditch the PowerMate, and exchange for the Moonlite replacement focuser.

I use a 60mm Clicklock on my Vixen scope, it really is wonderful!  Any chance that size might work also in the SWP?   I wouldn't be selling my Vixen, but retiring it more for visual with friends and family.  Wouldn't really need the Clicklock on it anymore.

EDIT: For comparison and reference, here is an M27 I took last month with my 450D with the VMC200L

get.jpg

Not dithered, 5x360" ISO800.  That's a simple DSS+CS2 five minute stretch job.  The StarTools version is here:  http://www.astrobin.com/full/110959/0/  (I still can't decide if I like it better or not)

Edited by steven_usa, 22 August 2014 - 12:44 AM.

#6 Peter Besenbruch

Peter Besenbruch

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 22 August 2014 - 08:52 PM

I use a 60mm Clicklock on my Vixen scope, it really is wonderful!  Any chance that size might work also in the SWP?   I wouldn't be selling my Vixen, but retiring it more for visual with friends and family.  Wouldn't really need the Clicklock on it anymore.

I have the Baader Clicklock for the Skywatcher Pro 120. You need the 56mm version.

Edited by Peter Besenbruch, 22 August 2014 - 08:55 PM.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics