32 replies to this topic

#26 Ed Whitney

Ed Whitney

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Palm Coast, Florida

Posted 28 August 2014 - 03:06 PM

Craig,

Thank you for the nicely detailed report! Still waiting for a few parts for my C6 yet, so I'm getting anxious for first light. I'll post here how it goes, etc. :)

#27 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 28 August 2014 - 08:58 PM

I think nothing is better than flocking the c6 but having that I still did not do it I do enjoy the out if field lightring for the simple fact that when I do my initial star align, if my laser dot leaves the targeted star just out of field of view in the ocular I can possibly get help by seeing its telltale ring.

this isn't a reason not to flock just a plus for not having yet done it.

Pete

#28 Ed Whitney

Ed Whitney

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Palm Coast, Florida

Posted 31 August 2014 - 10:54 AM

Well, I finally had a really nice "First Light" with the C6 at F/10 and F/6.3. First impressions, this is one honey of a scope! :)

Used in daylight, it almost has a refractor like quality to the image! I seemed to get the best focusing when I used the point half way from the center to edge as my best focusing "area".

Then the entire FOV did seem in very good focus and this was at F/10 without the reducer. I like it! :waytogo:

However, I seem to like it more without the reducer! As many here have mentioned, the reducer doesn't do much to improve the overall focus, but it does help "some".

The collimation seemed as perfect as it could have been, right out of the box. I do dread installing Bob's Knobs so will hold off a while on this.

That "baffle flaring" went totally unnoticed even when a bright star was just outside the FOV. I probably missed it.

At F/10, I saw 61 Cygni double, Alberio and Omicron1&2; they all seemed pretty much the same and also at F/6.3.

At F/6.3, I was getting pretty good resolution of M22 globular cluster, but NGC 6624, GC at Mv 7.8 was understandably only a "smudge". And these two were low in the sky.

Thank you all for the info you have shared about this great little scope! :)

Clear Skies! :)

#29 Jan Owen

Jan Owen

Apollo

• Loc: Sun City West, Arizona

Posted 03 September 2014 - 10:36 PM

Attached File  IMG_6435a (1408 x 1056)CN.jpg   472.13KB   2 downloads

Enjoy your scope!!!  I've been enjoying mine for several months, now...  And I use the Reducer/Corrector full-time...

Edited by Jan Owen, 03 September 2014 - 10:37 PM.

#30 desertlens

desertlens

Viking 1

• Loc: 36°N 105°W

Posted 04 September 2014 - 10:56 AM

Jan, Does the Baader quick lock have a locking screw for the microfocuser? I'm interested in the locking mechanism but need to be able to nail it down. Thanks.

#31 Jan Owen

Jan Owen

Apollo

Posted 04 September 2014 - 03:50 PM

Craig,

No, it doesn't have a screw-lock on the helical focuser ring...  I'm still testing this setup to see how easy or hard it is to maintain the setting (though I did make index marks with white fingernail polish to indicate if there's been any movement, and so far there hasn't)...  But in the meantime, since I didn't really like the lack of ability to lock the light path length at a given setting, I also have the Baader Deluxe 1.25" eyepiece holder WITH helical focuser & locking screw, and have it set at the exact setting (it's at a shorter setting in this photo)...  So, if the Click-Lock version works, fine; but if it moves around, I'll revert to the lockable version...  They're both available from Alpine or Agena...Attached File  IMG_6350aa (1408 x 882)CN.jpg   378.66KB   0 downloads

Edited by Jan Owen, 04 September 2014 - 03:54 PM.

#32 Jan Owen

Jan Owen

Apollo

Posted 04 September 2014 - 04:04 PM

Attached File  IMG_6587a (1408 x 956).jpg   396.73KB   1 downloads
...and this image shows the setup with the 1.25" Click-Lock eyepiece holder & the two spacers necessary to provide the 105 mm optical length specified by Celestron between the back of the reducer/corrector and the focal plane. Setting the whole assembly to that length involves a precise spacing of the overall click-lock eyepiece holder's overall length as determined by the built-in helical focuser, which is set at the correct length in this photo... With the index marks, I can also set the Click-Lock eyepiece holder in the previous photo to the exact same length, as well...

#33 desertlens

desertlens

Viking 1

• Loc: 36°N 105°W

Posted 04 September 2014 - 05:41 PM

Thanks Jan. I'm using a zoom occasionally and a rotating EP holder isn't helpful. I may go with the deluxe holder since it locks... at least the newer one does. I have an early version that doesn't. And thanks for the 105mm spec from Celestron (I also saw your post earlier). I had a feeling that something around 100mm was the aim point, probably without the FR/FF as well.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics