2 replies to this topic

#1 Brollen

Brollen

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland, USA

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:33 AM

Hi all

I am vacationing with the family in upstate NY on one of the Finger Lakes. Being short on space in my car, I decided to bring my C80ED, a few lenses and my lowly but very reliable and accurate Nexstar SLT mount. I wasn't expecting much - lately I have been viewing with my new and wonderful Meade 6" SCT. Where I live, the night skies are typically Bortle 5/6 so the little Celestron tends to stay in.

Anyways, I've had two very dark clear nights where I'm staying - maybe Bortle 3.5/4 near as I can tell. To my great surprise I am pulling in a number of DSOs - such as M5, M81 and others - with some good clarity and definition. The double star and wide field views have been really spectacular as expected.

I'm using a 2" GSO dielectric diagonal with the following 1.25" EPS: Tele Vue 26mm & 13mm Plössls, 14mm Meade UWA 5000, 26mm Meade 5000 SW Plössl, and an ES 82 deg 6.7mm. All have worked very well with the scope with the 6.7mm being my least favorite.

I'm pleasantly surprised! Since getting the C80ED it simply has not seen as much viewing time as my two larger SCTs due to my initial at home viewing experiences though it has always been tack sharp with great color correction.

I'm sure others have had this sort of experience. Is there something different I should be trying for my at home viewing? Or are these 80mm scopes simply better suited for dark skies? I read it all the time here - there is no cheating the physics of a given scope...  :)

Roger

#2 Don Taylor

Don Taylor

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: South Kansas

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:49 AM

Well - all scopes are!!! (Suited to dark skies that is)

I use an ST80 as a finder/auxiliary scope on my 16" Dob. The views with say a 24mm ES68 and especially with a 13T6 Nagler from a dark site are amazing!

I've had that combination at OTSP and RMSS several times. Does pretty good from my not so dark site too. Not so much from the backyard.

I can imagine the 80ED is quite a bit better yet.

Glad you took the scope along.

Edited by Don Taylor, 20 August 2014 - 11:52 AM.

#3 evan9162

evan9162

Ranger 4

• Loc: Boise, ID

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:56 AM

I was able to take my C80ED out to a dark site.  It excels on wide-field, low power views.  Even with 1.25" eyepieces, I was taking in >2 degree views.

I also have a C6 SCT.  For me, there's no reason to take the C80 above about 50x or so, since that's where my C6 can take over, and give me brighter views of the same objects.

Scanning the area around Sagittarius was a real treat, just slowly hopping from one nebula/cluster to the other.  I also was able to see the Veil nebula.  Both the double-cluster in Perseus, and nearly all of M31 fit in the FOV, something my C6 can't really do.  That night, I didn't even bother putting a finder on the scope, I just sighted along the tube, and usually my target was within the FOV.  

In light polluted skies, you will have less success, but it's a fantastic dark sky, wide field scope.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics