Social Astronomy Software/Idea

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 joshumax

joshumax

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:03 PM

I was looking around, and I've noticed that there really *isn't* any astronomy-type software designed for the social aspects of astro{nomy,photography}. Has anyone seen something like this ever? If something like this doesn't exist, I was thinking about slapping a bit of C++ code together and making a Stellarium plugin that allows people to see where others' telescopes are currently pointing to nearby. Good idea?

#2 dandabson

dandabson

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dover, DE

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:19 PM

That would be pretty cool.

#3 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Simulation Curriculum

• Vendors
  • Loc: Longmont, CO, USA

Posted 21 August 2014 - 12:57 PM

I have previously thought about some of this social stuff for SkySafari.  One this that holds me back is internet access.  At many observing sites I go to there is no internet.  Even if there is, my iPad is connected to SkyFi rather than the internet so again, no internet.  This really makes the social aspect somewhat limited.

#4 joshumax

joshumax

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 21 August 2014 - 03:15 PM

I have previously thought about some of this social stuff for SkySafari.  One this that holds me back is internet access.  At many observing sites I go to there is no internet.  Even if there is, my iPad is connected to SkyFi rather than the internet so again, no internet.  This really makes the social aspect somewhat limited.

True, adding social features to an app designed for people who try to get as far away from the general population (i.e. light pollution creators) as possible makes it rather useless to add such things...but it still seems like a neat idea for connecting star parties and us backyard astronomers together.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics