TheSkyX Core Database Support

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 gazr

gazr

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 August 2014 - 02:52 PM

Has anyone tried using some of the larger core databases with TheSkyX? I recently downloaded a handful of large databases for use in my observatory:

2.9G    CMC14
1.4G    I239
33G     NOMAD
40G     PPMXL
8.6G    UCAC4
78G     USNO-B1

To my surprise, I found that I could not load any of these databases into TheSkyX. TheSkyX will only load Software Bisque's own proprietary .PLOT file format of the data. TheSkyX has the ability to create a .PLOT file from the UCAC4 data but not from any of the others. TheSky6 will load the USNO-B1 database natively but TheSkyX will not.

They will, however, sell you a hard drive with the databases on it for $200. This hard drive contains the database plus the .PLOT file. Effectively, Software Bisque is taking a USNO database, compressing it, and selling it. In order to do this, they removed the USNO-B1 native support from their software.

#2 GlennLeDrew

GlennLeDrew

Voyager 1

• Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:27 PM

Years ago I played around with TheSky 5's data import function, which was pretty 'open ended', at least for its time. Why not retain that same capability for freely available databases? There will still be some users who'd be willing to pay for the convenience of a ready-to-go set on a drive, as currently offered. But some will want to import more obscure stuff, or simply prefer to 'DIY'--not to mention save a buck.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics