What DSLR Mod I should Choose.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 gsrs.family

gsrs.family

Lift Off

• Loc: Cypress, TX

Posted 20 August 2014 - 05:06 PM

Hi Everyone, I'm planning on DSLR modification on Canon T2i for deepsky imaging. but do not have much idea about what to choose. May be you can suggest me thru your experience.

My Equipments

iOptron 108ED Refractor - for AP

Orion Atlas EQ-G

Meade ETX-125

iOptron CubePro

Orion 80mm with OAG

Canon T2i - This is completly indent to use only for AP. that needs a MOD.

Please advice me Which mod I should choose.

#2 jgraham

jgraham

Voyager 1

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 20 August 2014 - 05:45 PM

Unless you have a specific reason to extend the camera's sensitivity out into the infrared the Baader mod is effective and doesn't require any additional filters to limit the IR. I have a Baader modified XSi and T2i and I am delighted with their performance.

• Dennis_S253 likes this

#3 gsrs.family

gsrs.family

Lift Off

• Loc: Cypress, TX

Posted 21 August 2014 - 03:39 PM

Thanks John. Yes I do want to extend the camera sensitivity a lot, so that I can capture as much sharp light I can process and get good deepsky image.

#4 jgraham

jgraham

Voyager 1

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 22 August 2014 - 06:42 AM

Extending the camera's spectral range does not necessarily increase its sensitivity. For deep sky objects there's just not much light out beyond H-alpha. Unless you are imaging under very dark skies you'll probably be using either an IR blocking filter or a light pollution filter (which also blocks IR). Still, a full-spectrum mod can give you options. Whether you need/want those options is a personal choice.

Have fun!

#5 sparkyht

sparkyht

Vostok 1

• Loc: 43N 89W

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:09 PM

I went with the Astrodon IR/UV filter mod done on my 60d by Hap Griffin and have been very happy with the results. I still use the camera for daylight photography, so all I had to do was to set up a custom white balance. You know a nice modification that is completely free is to download and install Magic Lantern as your firmware. There are many things you can do with the software that you will not find in the Canon system menu, like intervalometer programming, programmable mirror lock, exposure time override, and much more. There are plenty of times when I just want to do AP without a laptop controlling the camera, and Magic Lantern really gave me a lot of tools to accomplish that. I also use an RF remote that gives me hands-free control of the shutter.

If you plan to continue using a DSLR for AP, you could look into having a cold-finger peltier cooler installed or perhaps have debayering done on the sensor. You could also build a cooler box to help lower the noise profile of your camera.

Edited by sparkyht, 22 August 2014 - 11:15 PM.

• gsrs.family likes this

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics