OMG it's so tiny

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 DocFinance

DocFinance

Viking 1

• Loc: Clear Lake, Texas

Posted 20 August 2014 - 05:29 PM

I just got my latest fleabay find, an orange C90 spotter from CA.  It's been a while since I saw one, and my first reaction was "It's so tiny."  

I know the new ones are supposed to be lighter than this one, but I can't imagine how they would be able to do that.  Can't wait to get this thing under the dome tonight.

Edited by DocFinance, 20 August 2014 - 05:30 PM.

#2 ylem

ylem

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Entropy, Monroe, NC

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:57 PM

That's what my wife said when she saw mine... I guess she was used to the 127 which we usually take on vactions. It is tiny I leave mine set up mostly for lunar and birding. Looking forward to your report, oh btw mine is the synta one.

Have fun.

#3 DocFinance

DocFinance

Viking 1

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:40 PM

Not tonight, too many clouds.  I think I'll clean and lube it first, so it might be a few days. 

#4 Traveler

Traveler

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 21 August 2014 - 12:35 AM

Since the late 70's (as a young boy) i have a soft spot for an orange C90 (...and a C5 btw ;) ).

How is the Focusring working for you?

#5 DocFinance

DocFinance

Viking 1

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:46 AM

Since the late 70's (as a young boy) i have a soft spot for an orange C90 (...and a C5 btw ;) ).

How is the Focusring working for you?

Well, that's one reason I want to grease it first, so I can take some play out of the focuser.  Otherwise, it's still pretty smooth for a 30-year-old scope.  I love my C5 and my ETX, but I'm betting this one will get lots of use just because of its size.

#6 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 21 August 2014 - 03:40 PM

I had one, orange, and it was a real disappointment.  Just didn't think I was getting good views.   And I'm not against Celestron, I'm very keen on my C14. But the C90 not so much. 

When Orion had a shop in the Marina in SF I stopped in during the last days before the shop was closing.  Across the street at the gas station was a *very pretty* woman who was filling up her tank, I watched in the black c90 from inside the store, and that to be sure was the best view I ever had in a c90.    It would be very difficult to use a C14 for that, so as you can see, sometimes aperture is a liability.  No doubt the C90 has its uses.  

GN

#7 Geo.

Geo.

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:01 AM

The 500mm is even smaller. I suppose there were bad samples and a dry focuser can wipe out collimation, but I must have 6-8 around here and they are all pretty good. The second generation C90 has much better focusing mechanism. It was still the helical thread at the rear of the main tube, but it has a much better action. Not sure what changes they made as I haven't had to take one apart yet. I have the 127 Mak, which gets more use.

BTW, an original Celestron C90 large accessory ring sold for almost $90 on eBay last week :shocked:

#8 orion61

orion61

Aurora

• Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk

Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:25 PM

To grease it you need to take the tripod mounting block off, there is a retainer screw under it.

then you can unscrew the barrel and grease it.

Superlube grease works, dont use axle (tube) grease, you'll never focus it in the winter.

#9 DocFinance

DocFinance

Viking 1

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:04 PM

To grease it you need to take the tripod mounting block off, there is a retainer screw under it.

then you can unscrew the barrel and grease it.

Superlube grease works, dont use axle (tube) grease, you'll never focus it in the winter.

I need to find something that works locally, I was considering marine grade white lith or something with Teflon.  The stuff that's on there is just nasty, but I need something that's good in our evening heat too.

Geo, I watched that LAR creep up and get to $84 plus shipping, but I think Tile Guy might have cut the winner a break on shipping.  Chuck tipped me to an adapter at hayneedle, and I found an ETX 1.25" visual back on cncsupply that I might try.  That will work better for me anyhow since most of my stuff is 1.25".  We'll see.  

That will have to be next month I think, as I've got some conferences coming up and school's starting.  I hope to get it cleaned and greased in the next few days, tough, and use my .965 stuff with it for now.

and, yes, the 500 must be really tiny.  I've never seen one up close.

Edited by DocFinance, 22 August 2014 - 02:07 PM.

#10 ssmith

ssmith

Vostok 1

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:29 AM

Doc - 

I bought a C90 some time ago and it is a great little scope with the exception of the focuser which makes getting the best out of it somewhat probematical.

i built a simple "helical fine focuser" out of plumbing parts that also doubles as a 1.25 eypiece adapter - cost me all of $3.  Makes getting the best views out of the orange 90 very easy.

Just search on "C90 $3 Focuser" in the DIY forum for pictures and details.

Attached Files

Edited by ssmith, 23 August 2014 - 11:08 AM.

• DocFinance likes this

#11 ssmith

ssmith

Vostok 1

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:32 AM

Geo, I watched that LAR creep up and get to $84 plus shipping, but I think Tile Guy might have cut the winner a break on shipping.  Chuck tipped me to an adapter at hayneedle, and I found an ETX 1.25" visual back on cncsupply that I might try.  That will work better for me anyhow since most of my stuff is 1.25".  We'll see. 

I feel sorry when I hear about people paying exorbitant prices for a LAR when - as you noted -  for $30 you can get a new one from "telescopeadapters.com".  Works just fine.   Part no:  ETXVB  $29.95.

Ive even connected my 2" diagonal to my C90 - talk about " the tail wagging the dog ! "

Edited by ssmith, 23 August 2014 - 10:44 AM.

#12 elwaine

elwaine

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Jupiter

Posted 23 August 2014 - 02:00 PM

That's what my wife said when she saw mine... 

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

• rg55 likes this

#13 sydney

sydney

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 23 August 2014 - 03:10 PM

Doc

I used black lithium grease on my Meade 12 and it works great.  Really transformed the scope from being a chore to focus.  It is available at most hardware stores right next to the white lithium grease. I think the only difference between the two is ability to hold up to very high temps so the white may work just as well.  I removed the old factory tacky stuff with Krud Kutter - a water based degreaser (no petroleum smell or off-gassing) that is available most anywhere.  It literally removed the old stuff with one or two wipes.

#14 DocFinance

DocFinance

Viking 1

Posted 24 August 2014 - 07:53 PM

That's what my wife said when she saw mine... 

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I was just waiting for this one...

#15 DocFinance

DocFinance

Viking 1

Posted 24 August 2014 - 07:54 PM

Doc

I used black lithium grease on my Meade 12 and it works great.  Really transformed the scope from being a chore to focus.  It is available at most hardware stores right next to the white lithium grease. I think the only difference between the two is ability to hold up to very high temps so the white may work just as well.  I removed the old factory tacky stuff with Krud Kutter - a water based degreaser (no petroleum smell or off-gassing) that is available most anywhere.  It literally removed the old stuff with one or two wipes.

Thanks for the tips.  I'll try both if I can.

#16 DocFinance

DocFinance

Viking 1

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:02 PM

Finally got to take the tiny thing outside tonight on a heavy photo tripod.  Excellent view of Arcturus and surrounding stars, but too many patch clouds for anything else yet.  The focusing is...different.  But certainly no more awkward than my ETX.  I put in a couple of the Vixen Kellner EP and I think they are parfocal, which I didn't expect for a .965 set.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that it does as well as it does.  I'm sure all of them are different, but I am very pleased.  I found some SuperLube at Harbor Freight locally and I'll see if I can clean and lightly lube next to take the rough spots out.  i might consider a making a helical stage at some point.  In any case, it's a keeper.

Edited by DocFinance, 27 August 2014 - 09:06 PM.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics