Celestron Sale.....does it repeat?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 spongebob@55

spongebob@55

Viking 1

• Loc: Bergen Co. New Jersey

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:15 PM

I was going to buy the Edge 11" SCT which has a lower 'sale' price until August 31st.   Unfortunately, my other 'stuff' hasn't sold to help finance the purchase.   I don't want to buy used, since its been a problem for me in the past.   

So my question is, does Celestron have these 'sales' every 6 months or so? 

I can hold off since I have a 180mm Mak and it never seems to be clear here anyway...... :mad:

Thanks

Bob

#2 rnc39560

rnc39560

Vanguard

• Loc: MS coast

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:08 PM

They do have frequent sales. Just not sure of any time span. I've bought on sale at Telescopes.com and had good service. They (hayneedle) usually have nice prices. You just have to watch for stuff. I also know how you feel. I had 2 scopes for sale, still have them too. Oh well.... 

#3 Adeema

Adeema

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 21 August 2014 - 01:33 PM

I was wondering the same thing. The Advanced VX EdgeHD 8" combo is at a very tempting price, but I wasn't planning on buying it until next year.

Hopefully the sale comes back around.

#4 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 21 August 2014 - 03:36 PM

I was going to buy the Edge 11" SCT which has a lower 'sale' price until August 31st.   Unfortunately, my other 'stuff' hasn't sold to help finance the purchase.   I don't want to buy used, since its been a problem for me in the past.   

So my question is, does Celestron have these 'sales' every 6 months or so? 

I can hold off since I have a 180mm Mak and it never seems to be clear here anyway...... :mad:

Thanks

Bob

No, I don't think so. This is the last time, *ever*, that Celestron will have a sale!  

Incidentally Televue tends to have sales in the run up to Xmas.  I think they are pushing for volume.  Greg N

#5 dr.who

dr.who

Surveyor 1

• Moderators

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:43 PM

You could talk to one of the vendors and ask if you could put a deposit down on the scope so you get the sale price then pay the balance at a later date...

#6 Ed Whitney

Ed Whitney

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Palm Coast, Florida

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:03 PM

As far back as I can remember, Celestron has had nice sales and always around this time of year. In general, this "hobby" of amateur astronomy does seem to be a little too seasonal for it's own good. I just hope their scopes are a lot better than their eyepieces. I just returned a full set of X-Cel LX's for QC issues, like one had a nasty scratch in the field-lens and the other 6 had "water spots" on both the eye and field lenses. I was sick when I saw this. All this "carrying-on" is just to give you a heads-up to be extra careful when ordering anything made in China. They're cranking out the stuff with little or no Q.C. and expect everyone to just eat it up!

About the 11in EdgeHD, nice size scope, but don't think I'd put it on an AVX. I have this mount and it does seem to have a problem one of the slewing directions, "running on" as it were. In other words, on a slow slew speed, I slew to a target star and strangly, one of the directions keeps slewing a bit too long after I let go of the button. Thing is, while the AVX is fine, it strikes me as being a little too like the CG-5. A C-GEM for the 11in would be much better, I think.

Edited by Ed Whitney, 21 August 2014 - 09:05 PM.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics