• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 RoyG1

RoyG1

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:45 PM

Hi everyone,
I have been following several forums here while deciding on what equipment to get so I can get back into Astronomy.  I had a Meade 12" LX200 classic with a super wedge that I used casually for several years when in my 60's and was able to move it out for viewing and packing it up for star parties in Montana while my son was growing up. However, it was getting to be too much to cart around and the light pollution in my area was getting worse, so I parted with it.
Now, I would like to get back in, but, with a more practical weight and size.  I am looking at getting an ES 127ED CF refractor and an iOptron CEM60 mount with their tripod.  They both have good reviews here, are light-weight, and not too expensive (the wife is looking over my shoulder!)  With all the accessories needed, it will come to about what the LX200 cost me. It will give me some excuse to get together with my grown son and daughter.
The question that arises, is what accessories do I get?  I have a Nikon D800 which I plan on using for photography and also want to do visual work.  The following are some ideas on a direction to go:
a.) iOptron tripod or pier (portable and stationary use). (should I get an extension?)
b.) ES82 30mm 2" EP   (Would 82degree EP's be sufficient?)
c.) ES82 18mm 2" EP
d.) ES82 8.8mm 1.25" EP
e.) ES82 4.7mm 1.25" EP
f.) Guidescope/Finderscope
   1.) ES illuminated polar scope
   2.) Mini Borg Scope
   3.) Red-Eye, Other?
Would like to maybe combine finder and guidescope in one, swapping guider or eyepiece. Possible? What part numbers, especially the Borg numbers.
g.) Guider
   1.) Starlight Xpress Lodestar X2 guider
   2.) CCDQHY9 or simular
h.) Retical eyepiece finder
i.) Nikon T adapter
j.) Field Flattener for ES 127ED CF
   1.) ES 3" Field Flattener .7x Focal Reducer
   2.) William Optics Flattener 4 -0.8X Reducer
   3.) Hotech SCA Field Flattener
k.) Camera Adapter/Projection Adapter
   1.) Astro-Physics 35mm camera adapter  with T ring for Nikon
   2.) Meade Variable Projection Camera Adapter 1.25"
   3.) Something else?
Would use for attaching Nikon D800 for prime focus or projection using above lenses? Would also do wide-field with camera piggy-backed.

Anything missing besides software?  Would work from the top down as I saved money.
Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

#2 rkayakr

rkayakr

Messenger

• Loc: Northeast Ohio

Posted 25 August 2014 - 02:31 PM

Roy
I have a similar set up, an ES127 (not carbon), ES 82 degree eyepieces and an iOptron iEQ45. Some comments:

b. c. d. e. I am very happy with my ES 82 degree eyepieces, the 11 mm is my all around favorite
if I had it to do over I wouldn't get anything less than 11 mm and just used the excellent ES 2x Barlow
f.) Guidescope/Finderscope
ES illuminated polar scope - ? the iOptron mount come with an excellent polar scope
if you meant ES illuminated finder - the one I have is very nice to use
g.) Guider
like many others, for guiding I use the Orion mini 50 guidescope with the Orion StarShoot AutoGuider
h.) Retical eyepiece finder
I use a 25 mm reticule illuminated eyepiece
j.) Field Flattener for ES 127ED
The Astro Tech ATFF works well as a flattener only and is a good value at $150

finally - the iEQ45 is more than sufficient for an ES127. The new iEQ45pro should be even better.

#3 DeanS

DeanS

Gemini

• Loc: Central Kentucky

Posted 25 August 2014 - 03:27 PM

Hi Roy,

I have imaged with mine using the Hotech flattener and QSI683 and it does a good job with that chip.  OAG stars are a bit out of shape but it still guided just fine.  

I upgraded my focuser to the 3" feather touch and using a robofocus it does a very good job.

I never really liked finder scopes, but just prefer redot finders as once I am synched then don'e really needed it unless I loose alignment.

I got a TEC 140  couple weeks ago so my ED127CF is for sale, if you might be interested contact me via PM or see the ad on astromart.

Dean

#4 RoyG1

RoyG1

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:01 PM

Paul, Ranger, and Dean,

Thank you for your inputs.  I have decided to get the ES 127CF with an ES 3" Field Flattener .7x Focal Reducer part# FFFR507X-00.  It can adapt to 2" or 3" focusers. I chatted with ES on line and that is what they suggested.  I will use the ES 82 series EP's as Ranger suggested.  I will also get the ES illuminated finder scope.  I decided not to pursue a guide scope and auto guider at the moment until I get more experience with this setup and don't think I will go with OAG'ing. The only thing that still puzzles me is how I will do imaging using some sort of magnification (barlows maybe? But then how to attach them.)  I am getting the upgrade from the iEQ45 which is the new CEM60. I am hoping that all the bugs are out of it. I like the idea of the magnetic clutches, the built-in GPS, and the center mounted design. CN comments are that it is very smooth. Will let you know how it goes.

Roy

#5 DeanS

DeanS

Gemini

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:16 PM

Hi Roy,

If you don't want to make the focal length shorter than just get a field flattener only, not with reduction.  And of course for just visual you do not need either of those, just for imaging.

One way to sort of increase your image size/magnification is to use a smaller pixel size which will give you a larger image scale.  I suggest you read up on image scale and download CCD Calculator which allows you to input different scopes, F/L, CCD, etc and see how images will fit your FOV.

Lots to learn so just take small steps, which sounds like you are doing.

Dean

#6 RoyG1

RoyG1

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:35 PM

Thanks for the input Dean,

I may be wrong, but the reasoning for the reducer was because I figured if I wanted to image Andromeda fully which is about a 3 degree field, it would not fit in the camera view.  Am I right or am I off?  I have a FX 36mm chip. I have a Nikon D800 36.3Mp camera with a 4.88 micron square pixel size.  I downloaded CCDCalculator (Thank You!) and it computed a fov of 123.4 x 184.9 arc-minutes for a Nikon D800 type sensor and an AP of 127mm f/7.5 and a focal reducer of 0.7x.  Andromeda has an apparent view of 178 x 63  arc-min. Yes, lots of steps and a lot of time!

#7 DeanS

DeanS

Gemini

Posted 26 August 2014 - 09:05 PM

Yes you are right about M31, however you had said you wanted more magnification so was not thinking about larger FOV.

So many ways to skin a cat, oops that probably is not politically correct to say anymore ;)

#8 RoyG1

RoyG1

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 26 August 2014 - 09:15 PM

LOL! Yes such a vast request: M31 to Mars or Jupiter. When I looked at the image of Jupiter in CCDCalc, I couldn't believe the size difference between the two at prime focus. At least with 36.3MPixels I will have a few pixels covering Jupiter.

Roy

#9 WebFoot

WebFoot

Viking 1

• Loc: Redmond, WA, USA

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:05 PM

Just a thought, from one who just did the same thing you're contemplating--changing equipment to make carting and setup manageable.

I love refractors, but if I had only one OTA, it wouldn't be a refractor.  To me, for general viewing, aperture rules

I already had a little refractor, so I added a 10" SCT OTA.  At 30 pounds or less, it's easy to handle, and it cost much, much less than the fine refractor you're looking at. And the CEM60 seems to carry it just fine.

Understand, I'm not criticizing the choice of a 5" refractor; I would love to have one, but I cannot begin to convince myself that it would displace either small refractor or the 10" SCT.

YMMV, but It thought I'd mention this possibility.

Mark

#10 rkayakr

rkayakr

Messenger

• Loc: Northeast Ohio

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:47 AM

Roy

I've been happy with short (1 minute) subs unguided with my ES127 on the iEQ45. Here's a recent Comet Jacques of 41, 1 minute subs taken with a Canon T3i, after a quick look (full processing to come later). The CEM60 should do an even better job.

Bob

Attached Files

Edited by rkayakr, 27 August 2014 - 07:53 AM.

#11 RoyG1

RoyG1

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:19 AM

Mark,

I know what you mean about aperture. I had a Meade 12" LX200 before with the fork, super wedge, and tripod. It was a real pain to take out or take to a star party. But, it sure gave a nice view!  I sold it to a friend a few years ago as I moved to a light polluted area and it was too much to put up for what I would see.  This outfit will allow me to set it up quickly in my front yard and it will cool down much faster than the 12" did.  I am now 73 yrs old, so carting a 12" LX200 with wedge and huge tripod would be a bit too much.  But, I hadn't thought of a SCT on a CEM60 so maybe later I can get a smaller SCT and put it on the CEM60. It would be much easier than the Meade solution.  

Back in the mid 90's, I had a house on 4 acres in a semi-rural area. I built a pole barn with a 30 ft. 8x8 tower with a 6' dome on top. I put my 12" SCT up there on the tripod and could go out there any time to view the stars.  Then they put an outlet mall about 12 miles south, so part of the southern horizon was gone, but still dark.  Then a wind storm got into my barn and blew the dome off and it cracked.  Then the wife wanted to move to the village, so there went my darkness. :>( So, after a few struggles to get the scope out to the sidewalk to see limited skies, I sold it. :<((

So I am about to give it another try and it should be easier.

#12 RoyG1

RoyG1

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:21 AM

Hi Bob,

Great shot. It gives me more confidence that I may get some great photos to print out and put on the wall. Thanks for the encouragement and the nice shot.

Roy

#13 DeanS

DeanS

Gemini

Posted 27 August 2014 - 11:21 AM

Roy, this image is using only the HoTech flattener and a QSI683.  Cropped and reduced to fit the size requirements here,  Still decent resolution for a 5" refractor?

Dean

Attached Files

Edited by DeanS, 27 August 2014 - 11:22 AM.

#14 RoyG1

RoyG1

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:31 PM

Dean,

An awesome sombrero!

Roy

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, accessories

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics