Daring to Observe in Moon Glow

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

• Loc: Crozet VA 22932

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:20 PM

It just tickles my wife and I to be able to observe in moon glow. As I have said (but a very long time ago when this forum was in its infancy), using astro video essentially doubles your potential observing periods. We were pleasantly reminded of this on August 13th. The moon (four days past full) was already over 30% above the horizon...and we dared go for the Trifid to enjoy its color and (hopefully) some reasonable definition of its features. We were not disappointed.

The latest post in the blog (address under my signature) has the story and the sketch. (No...we don't do photography or mess with stacking...we study the object on the monitor and sketch it.) There is religious content in the story.

The sketch is a pretty decent representation of what we could see. I left out minor stars and about 1/3 of the fainter stars were washed out. But considering the sky moon glow, it was another night to remember that astro video really does expand the definition of when one can observe. I did try (just for grins) to go to a longer integration, but the combined moon glow and star field surpassed the limit of the camera to handle the scene (it went blank), so we went back to 14 seconds, which was more than ample (with Hyperstar) to get a nice display of the object.

Nope. The camera is not for sale.    :)

• Relativist likes this

#2 Hemmi

Hemmi

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Raleigh, NC

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:19 PM

I have enjoyed your sketches for a few years now!  Thanks for sharing them!

Hemmi

• rolandlinda3 likes this

#3 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:50 AM

Hemmi

Hemmi, you are in NC. Are you coming to ECVAR? It is great fun. Sep 22-28 I think. Lots of astro-video "nerds" as well as a good time observing.

#4 Hemmi

Hemmi

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Raleigh, NC

Posted 23 August 2014 - 03:26 PM

Hemmi

Hemmi, you are in NC. Are you coming to ECVAR? It is great fun. Sep 22-28 I think. Lots of astro-video "nerds" as well as a good time observing.

Yes I will be there 20-24.

Hemmi

#5 Relativist

Relativist

Skylab

• Loc: OC, CA, USA

Posted 03 September 2014 - 12:51 PM

Nice sketches, I didn't realize you did them. Also these can be instructive for those that are doing visual only sketches of deep sky objects.

#6 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

Posted 04 September 2014 - 09:37 PM

Nice sketches, I didn't realize you did them. Also these can be instructive for those that are doing visual only sketches of deep sky objects.

Absolutely. It is really the same process. My sketching colleagues think it must be really easy using astro video rather than eyepieces to sketch, but it is actually much harder because you have 10 fold the detail and color. However, visual setup sketching delivers one wallop of a neck or body ache whereas astro video does not. I will take that advantage any day.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics