• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Hemmi

Hemmi

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Raleigh, NC

Posted 21 August 2014 - 04:01 PM

I had some unused equipment laying around, and decided to make a small little video setup.  I had an old nexstar SE mount that I have not used in many years.  I also had an old starblast 4.5".  I added a 2" low profile helical focuser and repainted the starblast.  I also recently upgraded to a ioptron mount, so had a starsense autoalign that was not being used.

Here is the result.  Since this is a fast scope I think it will do well for a quick video setup.  The starsense will make for quick alignment and good gotos.  Should make for a fun little setup, when I don't want to drag out the larger rig.

Now to figure out what video camera to use.  I will prob use my Jr. Pro with this setup.

14805133218_1123aab8c2_z.jpg20140821_140716 by william.hemmingsen, on Flickr

Hemmi

• Relativist likes this

#2 David B in NM

David B in NM

Ranger 4

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:37 PM

Hemmi,

It doesn't seem that long ago when you first received the Starblast.  Perhaps these links will bring back some fond memories.

http://www.cloudynig...st#entry3729471

For those wondering just what Hemmi did with his Starblast, here's another link.  Check out his captures and comments made by others following his images:

http://www.cloudynig...32#entry3796331

Nice to see you retained the little OTA and took the time to refinish it and add a new focuser. 

David B in NM

#3 Hemmi

Hemmi

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Raleigh, NC

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:48 PM

Wow david that was 4 years ago LOL.  I hope it works as good this time :) maybe even better.  The starsense will sure make it quicker to setup.

I had some of my favorite views with this little scope, thats why I decided to break it back out.

Hemmi

#4 David B in NM

David B in NM

Ranger 4

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:54 PM

Hemmi,

Yes, nearly 4 years have passed by.

I've got two small reflectors in my collection of OTAs.  Like you, I have the 4.5 inch Starblast.  I also have a Skywatcher 130mm F5.  Both do fantastic jobs despite their small stature for EAA.  I dust mine off every now and then too.

David B in NM

Attached Files

#5 David B in NM

David B in NM

Ranger 4

Posted 02 September 2014 - 02:09 PM

Hemmi,

I saw your "short" broadcast over the weekend using this setup.

Too bad it was so warm there for you. I bet you were proud to heard the favorable comments about the views and your "old" and now modified setup.

Your little Starblast certainly didn't disappoint anyone viewing your broadcast.

GREAT JOB!

David B in NM

#6 Relativist

Relativist

Skylab

• Loc: OC, CA, USA

Posted 02 September 2014 - 02:32 PM

Hemmi, can you tell us about the utility of the 2" low profile that you added, was it required to come to focus?

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics