Photo

Best Diagonal for 2" Eyepieces in an EdgeHD 800?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#26 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:15 AM

Only including the links for the data they contain.  Don't really care where or even if you buy it.  Just trying to help you with info on the differences between them to help you determine if it is the right solution for you.

I appreciate the help. I like Agena, HPS and Adorama, but HPS usually gets it to me quicker because it's so close.

Mike

#27 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:17 AM

Maybe the T2 system chart and parts list help? The parts list also shows thread sizes, effective optical lengths etc.

http://www.baader-pl...m-grafik-en.pdf

http://www.baader-pl...-tabelle-en.pdf

Cheers

Steffen.

Yes, thanks, those lists do help.

Mike

#28 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Vanguard

• Loc: Overland Park KS

Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:18 AM

Will the Edge 8" accept a standard screw on 2" SCT diagonal that attaches to the rear cell threads?  Or does the 8" Edge have the wider 3.25" rear cell threads where a standard 2" SCT diagonal won't fit?  I am considering one of these 8" Edges, but wasn't sure how wide the rear cell threads are.  

Bill

#29 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:22 AM

My EdgeHD 800 (8" SCT) has the standard male SCT threads on the rear opening.

Mike

#30 ewave

ewave

Apollo

• Loc: northwest NJ

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:13 AM

yes Mike, as Edggie explained further, you simply remove the 2" nosepiece from the Baader  clicklock diagonal as it has SCT threads that match your 8" ota back cell.

Fortunately or unfortunately, they do not offer the Clicklock diagonal without the nosepiece, it comes with it for better or for worse.

I think that 2" nosepiece is Baader part # T2-19.  I am actually looking for that part number, so please send me a PM if you wish and we can discuss.

Clear skies

#31 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 23 August 2014 - 06:01 PM

I suppose I'll bite the bullet and order the Baader 2" Clicklock Diagonal and the SCT Locking Ring. They appear to yield the shortest light path for 2" eyepieces, which is what I'm after, both to minimize vignetting and provide more clearance on the NexStar mount.  And in general I do like Baader products.

I'll probably be selling my other two 2" diagonals after I receive the Baader.  Sorry, Sean, but I intend to keep the 2" nosepiece (T2-19) so I can use the same Baader diagonal in my C80ED and other refractors that take 2" accessories.  I will probably sell a Baader Clicklock 2"-to-SCT eyepiece adapter, since I'll have two of them.

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 23 August 2014 - 06:01 PM.

#32 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:05 AM

I ordered the Baader 2" Clicklock Diagonal and SCT Locking Ring last night from High Point Scientific.  Why delay the inevitable?

:grin:

Mike

• swsantos and dpippel like this

#33 Gastrol

Gastrol

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: los angeles

Posted 25 August 2014 - 08:28 PM

I'm curious, will this Baader locking ring screw directly onto the 3.25" cell opening?

#34 ewave

ewave

Apollo

Posted 25 August 2014 - 08:32 PM

No Gastrol, the Baader locking ring will not fit on a 3.25" cell,  only 2" SCT threaded cells, like the Celestron 8" OTAs

#35 Gastrol

Gastrol

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: los angeles

Posted 25 August 2014 - 08:50 PM

No Gastrol, the Baader locking ring will not fit on a 3.25" cell,  only 2" SCT threaded cells, like the Celestron 8" OTAs

Thank you for your reply.

Then what configuration would produce the shortest path with the Baader 2" CL diagonal on a 11" SCT?  Astro Physics has a 2" adapter which screws directly onto the 3.25" cell.

#36 ewave

ewave

Apollo

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:14 PM

Thank you for your reply.

Then what configuration would produce the shortest path with the Baader 2" CL diagonal on a 11" SCT?  Astro Physics has a 2" adapter which screws directly onto the 3.25" cell.

there you have it, you just answered your own question. I have the same exact AP adapter and with the shorter nosepiece of the CL, you are good to go.  There may be one other way to shave another 10mm off of that combo, but it is not worth it IMHO.

• Gastrol likes this

#37 NorthWolf

NorthWolf

Vanguard

• Loc: Eastern Canada

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:16 AM

Good useful thread, I willbe buying the same ota as Mike sometime in the next few months. So far I have a clicklock and a t2 prism.
  • Sarkikos likes this

#38 Dunkstar

Dunkstar

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Under the sky

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:53 AM

I use the locking ring and Clicklock diagonal with my Edge 8 on theSE mount. The locking ring just interfaces with the diagonal to stop it slipping. It doesn't have to be a Baader diagonal you use, it just gives the shortest path. but it does need to be an SCT threaded one. The Clicklock diagonal nose piece just unscrews and you wind the diagonal on the end of the exposed SCT male thread.

I found it gives me an extra 40mm or so of clearance on the SE mount.

Just one thing to be aware of...to wind on/off the diagonal fully it needs to clear the focus lock and focus knobs. The focus lock knobs just unscrew.

Edited by Dunkstar, 26 August 2014 - 06:54 AM.

• Gastrol likes this

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics