Photo

Best Diagonal for 2" Eyepieces in an EdgeHD 800?

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#51 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 23 October 2014 - 06:53 AM

Ok good info thx Mike, so just as the 10mm sct vb, t2 prism were best for binoviewing the baader lock ring and 2" clicklock diagonal are best for 2" eyepieces. This is why Eddgie kept mentioning the fastest way to switch from bv to 2" ep's....

Well, my well has dried up and will venture down the 2" path at a later time...

As for the binoviewers, you will be switching back and forth? Your T2 will be strictly for binoviewing?

I've decided not to bother with binoviewing my Cats or refractors.  I did use the special WO adapter for binoviewing the Moon with my EdgeHD 8" for one observing session.  But the WO adapter became stuck tight in another adapter that I needed to adjust the position of the binoviewer on the diagonal.  (I'd have to look up what adapter that was.  I don't memorize these things.)  I had a devil of a time getting it unstuck.  I don't think I'll revisit that setup again.  

I'm not married to the binoviewer.  I can take it or leave.  For grab-n-go sessions and for deep sky I'd rather leave it.  IME, binoviewing seems best for larger Dobs, and that only for planet/lunar.  Otherwise I'd rather do without it.

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 23 October 2014 - 07:08 AM.

#52 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 23 October 2014 - 07:05 AM

Guys, what would happen if I were to use this 2" diagonal in the edge hd or a refractor I have?

http://www.ontariote...-SCT_p_377.html

Nice catch.  Good price at $99, if it is all the description says it is.  I'm not sure, though, if this diagonal will get you as close to the back of the EdgeHD 8" as the Baader ClickLock Diagonal and SCTLock setup.  Maintaining enough clearance between diagonal and mount is very important if you're going to have the EdgeHD 8" on the NexStar.  Even with the Baader setup, there is only about an inch or so of clearance when pointed to zenith.

The Antares diagonal can be rotated on the visual back. But if you keep the EdgeHD 8" on the NexStar or another alt-az mount, you won't need to rotate the diagonal when you reposition the OTA.  That would be a problem on a GEM.  GEMs are evil.  My advice is to stay far away from them.

:grin:

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 23 October 2014 - 08:39 PM.

#53 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 23 October 2014 - 07:14 AM

Now, this is not unique to this diagonal.  It can happen to any diagonal. I had a regular Istar break free, and I had the nose on a T2 Prism break free.  There can be a lot of weight out there with BVs.

This is why I have kind of dedicated diagonals to my binoviewers and have tightened the noses enough (used strap wrenches and the lock ring) to make darned sure that I never have this problem.   Anyway, not saying that this is a show stopper, but getting the SCT nose on tight to the diagonal is going to be harder because there is no grip surface.  If it were me and I were using it for binoviewing, I would put it on with LockTite so that it would never move, and get a 2" diagonal for the refractor and do the same thing.

This is another reason why I've decided not to pursue binoviewing for refractors or Cats.  I don't want to have a diagonal permanently attached to my binoviewer.  I did screw the adapters on tightly because I was concerned that the binoviewer with eyepieces might swing around and come loose.  I had much difficulty unscrewing this setup.  I was using my nice Baader T2 Prism Diagonal.  I certainly didn't want that attached permanently to my lowly Burgess binoviewer! I don't want to repeat that fiasco.

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 23 October 2014 - 07:16 AM.

#54 Dunkstar

Dunkstar

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Under the sky

Posted 23 October 2014 - 06:49 PM

Do you have a standard C8 or an EdgeHD 8"?  That might make a difference.

In any case, I'll just leave the Baader 2" ClickLock Diagonal on the EdgeHD 8".  I have other 2" diagonals I can use on my other Cats or refractors.  I don't do imaging, and I don't do GEMs, so those factors don't enter into the equation for me.

The EdgeHD telescopes excel at wide-field views, which usually mean a 2" eyepiece.  I think it's important to have the ability to use 2" eyepieces with the EdgeHD 8".  It's also important for the diagonal to not hit the mount if you're going to use the EdgeHD 8" on the NexStar. Therefore the Baader 2" ClickLock Diagonal and SCTLock - or a similar setup - is required.

:grin:

Mike

My C8 is an Edge HD model. IMO the Clicklock diagonal is the best match for the scope. Once you've positioned the diagonal where you want it, the locking ring locks it up really solidly and it's never moved, and I don't refrain from using the big guns with it...and the SE mount just chugs along happily. I make sure it is carefully balanced of course...

It's a great portable combo, beautiful sharp view across the full field  :cool:

• Sarkikos likes this

#55 Lola Bruce

Lola Bruce

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 23 October 2014 - 07:52 PM

TV sells a shorty visual back and a SCT shorty everbrite dielectric diagonal. Used it on my CPC 800.

Bruce

#56 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 23 October 2014 - 08:51 PM

My C8 is an Edge HD model. IMO the Clicklock diagonal is the best match for the scope. Once you've positioned the diagonal where you want it, the locking ring locks it up really solidly and it's never moved, and I don't refrain from using the big guns with it...and the SE mount just chugs along happily. I make sure it is carefully balanced of course...

It's a great portable combo, beautiful sharp view across the full field  :cool:

Yes, I also think the EdgeHD 8 plays well with the NexStar SE.  Once I climbed the learning curve for two star align, goto approach, balancing, backlash setting, etc., I've experienced very good goto and tracking.  And the EdgeHD does show a nice, sharp field edge-to-edge!

What makes observing with this combo even more of a joy is controlling the NexStar remotely from SkySafari Pro on my Android tablet via BlueTooth.  Some nights, after the initial alignment, I don't use the hand set again until I shut the NexStar down for the night.  Even the direction controls are easy from the tablet after a little experience.

A good trick is to Align with SSP from any star that you can identify that is near an obscure object you want to locate and verify.  Then do a goto to that object.  The goto will be very precise and the tracking will be excellent.  This has helped me identify and observe a number of difficult objects.

Mike

• Dunkstar likes this

#57 NorthWolf

NorthWolf

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Eastern Canada

Posted 23 October 2014 - 09:31 PM

Hey Mike, have you ever changed the backlash setting?, I don't want to touch that yet, so far the mount has worked great for me. At a recent dark site, it was finding every target with great accuracy after a 2 star alignment, I was telling it where to go while looking for targets on my phone's Stellarium program. A Nexstar can be found via Bluetooth? Maybe I should look into that someday. :thinking:

Edited by NorthWolf, 23 October 2014 - 09:32 PM.

#58 Dunkstar

Dunkstar

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 24 October 2014 - 02:32 AM

I too find it to be decently accurate, and for those times I'm hunting small or faint objects I sometimes use the Sync or Precise Goto functions and it usually nails it. Handled with a little care and respect, it does a decent job for the cost and convenience.

#59 NorthWolf

NorthWolf

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Eastern Canada

Posted 24 October 2014 - 05:50 AM

Let's say you do a 2 star alignement, and than while your observing want to add a 3rd star, is that possible? Because the 3 star alignment can be a **** shoot, I'm wondering if you can add another star after you've done a 2 star alignment. Or is there another way to keep making it more accurate? But you know what..2 star is already accurate enough...clusters and nebulae come right in the middle of the field of view.

If this does not work well, I will want to add an ioptron mount (ewwww a gem mount) it weights 20 lbs but supports 27lbs.

#60 Dunkstar

Dunkstar

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 24 October 2014 - 06:50 AM

There's no benefit to adding a 3rd star as it is only used (in sky align) to confirm the calculation of the first 2.

After a 2-star alignment, you can always go in and change either of the alignment stars. To improve accuracy in a specific area, either use Precise Goto or Sync to a star in the area of sky you're in.

The SE mount is an adequate solution, if you appreciate it for what it is. The ioptron mini tower pro is a decent alt az mount that can more than handle the weight. I don't own one but I've seen them in use at star parties and they seem to work great too.

#61 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 24 October 2014 - 07:16 AM

Hey Mike, have you ever changed the backlash setting?, I don't want to touch that yet, so far the mount has worked great for me. At a recent dark site, it was finding every target with great accuracy after a 2 star alignment, I was telling it where to go while looking for targets on my phone's Stellarium program. A Nexstar can be found via Bluetooth? Maybe I should look into that someday. :thinking:

Yes, I tweaked the backlash setting.  I went through the procedure that is described in the NexStar forum and elsewhere online.  I did this sitting in the comfort of my bedroom while viewing the roofs of some buildings across the street.

Two star align works best for me for the initial alignment.  If I want to have even more precise gotos, I Align to a nearby star through SkySafari Pro on my Android tablet followed by a goto, also through SSP.  Then the goto and tracking are very accurate.

What is nice about using SSP is that I can Align off any star that I can locate via SSP, not just the really bright ones.  So I can start from a star that I know is very near the object I want to locate and verify.  Even with goto, for the more obscure and difficult objects you should verify the exact position among the surrounding stars and make sure it is the object you intended to observe.  Otherwise you could be fooling yourself.

My NexStar SE 6/8 connects remotely via BlueTooth to SSP on my Android tablet.  The BlueTooth is attached to the bottom of my HC.  Unfortunately, you cannot power the BlueTooth device through the HC.  It's best to get a BT with has internal power.  Otherwise you'll have a power cord dangling from the BT at the end of the HC and looping back to your power supply.

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 24 October 2014 - 07:17 AM.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics